HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   2006 top 5 draft picks. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1100373)

dan1el 02-06-2012 10:49 PM

2006 top 5 draft picks.
 
There may or may not have been a thread about this already, but I don't know.

In 2006, five pretty good players were picked in the top five. Even though Erik Johnson is a solid player, I'd say St. Louis still ****ed up. Here's how I see it:

1-St. Louis, with the first pick takes Nicklas Backstrom.
It would really solve some of the forward problems they've been having, especially at centre. A PPG guy would really help them.

2-Pittsburgh takes Phil Kessel #2.
Imagine a Crosby-Malkin-Kessel power play. The other team would **** their pants. Plus how good do you think Kessel would be doing if he had one of those to guys on a line with him?

3-Chicago still takes Toews third.

4-Washington takes Jordan Staal fourth.
Staal can dish out the puck decently well, not as well as Backstrom but well enough to get Ovechkin 50 goals a season while he was still good. Washington solidifies the PK.

5-Boston take Erik Johnson.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, that would mean they wouldn't get Seguin. But they do get another shut-down defenseman.

BrannigansLaw 02-06-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1el (Post 43715425)
There may or may not have been a thread about this already, but I don't know.

In 2006, five pretty good players were picked in the top five. Even though Erik Johnson is a solid player, I'd say St. Louis still ****ed up. Here's how I see it:

1-St. Louis, with the first pick takes Nicklas Backstrom.
It would really solve some of the forward problems they've been having, especially at centre. A PPG guy would really help them.

2-Pittsburgh takes Phil Kessel #2.
Imagine a Crosby-Malkin-Kessel power play. The other team would **** their pants. Plus how good do you think Kessel would be doing if he had one of those to guys on a line with him?

3-Chicago still takes Toews third.

4-Washington takes Jordan Staal fourth.
Staal can dish out the puck decently well, not as well as Backstrom but well enough to get Ovechkin 50 goals a season while he was still good. Washington solidifies the PK.

5-Boston take Erik Johnson.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, that would mean they wouldn't get Seguin. But they do get another shut-down defenseman.

St. Louis would be retarded if they didn't take Toews 1st.

The Podium 02-06-2012 10:51 PM

Toews
Backstrom
Kessel
Johnson
Staal

Joe Pesci 02-06-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1el (Post 43715425)
There may or may not have been a thread about this already, but I don't know.

In 2006, five pretty good players were picked in the top five. Even though Erik Johnson is a solid player, I'd say St. Louis still ****ed up. Here's how I see it:

1-St. Louis, with the first pick takes Nicklas Backstrom.
It would really solve some of the forward problems they've been having, especially at centre. A PPG guy would really help them.

2-Pittsburgh takes Phil Kessel #2.
Imagine a Crosby-Malkin-Kessel power play. The other team would **** their pants. Plus how good do you think Kessel would be doing if he had one of those to guys on a line with him?

3-Chicago still takes Toews third.

4-Washington takes Jordan Staal fourth.
Staal can dish out the puck decently well, not as well as Backstrom but well enough to get Ovechkin 50 goals a season while he was still good. Washington solidifies the PK.

5-Boston take Erik Johnson.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, that would mean they wouldn't get Seguin. But they do get another shut-down defenseman.

Pitts would take Toews before Kessel. Hell he probably goes first.

Lafleurs Guy 02-06-2012 10:52 PM

How in the world does Toews not go first here? With all due respect to Backstrom who is a fantastic player, Toews is better. And Backstrom goes before Kessel.

third man in 02-06-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisx101 (Post 43715543)
Toews
Backstrom
Kessel
Johnson
Staal

Giroux should be somewhere in the top 5.

Auger 02-06-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1el (Post 43715425)
There may or may not have been a thread about this already, but I don't know.

In 2006, five pretty good players were picked in the top five. Even though Erik Johnson is a solid player, I'd say St. Louis still ****ed up. Here's how I see it:

1-St. Louis, with the first pick takes Nicklas Backstrom.
It would really solve some of the forward problems they've been having, especially at centre. A PPG guy would really help them.

2-Pittsburgh takes Phil Kessel #2.
Imagine a Crosby-Malkin-Kessel power play. The other team would **** their pants. Plus how good do you think Kessel would be doing if he had one of those to guys on a line with him?

3-Chicago still takes Toews third.

4-Washington takes Jordan Staal fourth.
Staal can dish out the puck decently well, not as well as Backstrom but well enough to get Ovechkin 50 goals a season while he was still good. Washington solidifies the PK.

5-Boston take Erik Johnson.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, that would mean they wouldn't get Seguin. But they do get another shut-down defenseman.

?? I think you're missing Giroux.

1. Giroux
2. Toews
3. Backstrom
4. Kessel
5. Johnson

Loso 02-06-2012 10:59 PM

Erik Johnson > Jordan Staal IMO

and Johnson I still think will be a franchise dman one day, he's only 23, Phaneuf for example is just starting to get on the cusp of that now at age 26. Defensmen take longer to develop usually, his year in college and the one lost to injury just mean he's had less experience.

That being said.

Toews
Kessel
Backstrom
Johnson
Staal

Just going on team needs.

The Podium 02-06-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by third man in (Post 43715639)
Giroux should be somewhere in the top 5.

I think he means out of the players that actually went top 5.

drinking bleach irl 02-06-2012 11:15 PM

The concept's not that hard, fellas.

Avalicious18 02-06-2012 11:19 PM

1. Toews
2. Giroux
3. Backstrom
4. Johnson
5. Kessel

Phion Keneuf 02-06-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossAlanche (Post 43716877)
1. Toews
2. Giroux
3. Backstrom
4. Johnson
5. Kessel

Johnson over Kessel ?

lolwut?

No1 02-06-2012 11:24 PM

Your post is invalid if Giroux is not top 3.

Gil Gunderson 02-06-2012 11:24 PM

1. Toews
2. Giroux
3. Backstrom
4. Kessel
5. Staal

EDIT: well now that we can only use those 5

1. Toews
2. Backstrom
3. Kessel
4. Staal
5. Johnson

Avalicious18 02-06-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf (Post 43716919)
Johnson over Kessel ?

lolwut?

When was the last time you watched Johnson?

Razor29 02-06-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf (Post 43716919)
Johnson over Kessel ?

lolwut?

It's called an opinion.

SnapVirus 02-06-2012 11:28 PM

1. Backstrom
2. Toews
3. Giroux
4. Kessel
5. Staal

Breakingbad28 02-06-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnapVirus (Post 43717171)
1. Backstrom
2. Toews
3. Giroux
4. Kessel
5. Staal

im pretty sure hes only talking about rearranging the top 5 players.

Falcons93 02-06-2012 11:54 PM

Kessel goes second because he's a winger?

Mystlyfe 02-07-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcons93 (Post 43717973)
Kessel goes second because he's a winger?

Fun fact, Kessel was frequently considered a center at the time of the 2006 draft.

Mystlyfe 02-07-2012 12:06 AM

Relevant to this discussion. Here's part three (of 4), since it's the most interesting.



The noteworthy moment comes towards the end where Boston offers the 5th + 37th pick to Washington in exchange for the 4th pick. McPhee asks who they want to pick, and Boston responds "the Swede." How different things might have been if Backstrom went to Boston and Kessel to Washington. Fun to imagine.

WTFetus 02-07-2012 12:09 AM

Toews
Giroux
Backstrom
Kessel
Johnson

TheNorthFace 02-07-2012 12:15 AM

If we're re-arranging the top five then:
1. Toews
2. Backstrom
3. Kessel
4. Staal
5. Johnson

If we're re-doing the top five of the draft:
1. Toews
2. Giroux
3. Backstrom
4. Kessel
5. Staal/Lucic/Stewart/Johnson could all reasonably go in the five slot.

bjtkyo 02-07-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNorthFace (Post 43718555)
If we're rearranging the top five then:
1. Toews
2. Backstrom
3. Kessel
4. Staal
5. Johnson

If we're re-doing the top five of the draft:
1. Toews
2. Giroux
3. Backstrom
4. Kessel
5. Staal/Lucic/Stewart/Johnson could all reasonably go in the five slot.

This.

GirouxCouturier 02-07-2012 12:30 AM

Giroux
Toews
Backstrom
Kessel
Lucic


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.