HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   D-man infront of the net (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1100755)

nukethewhales 02-07-2012 01:45 PM

D-man infront of the net

What exactly can a d-man get away with in front of the net? I ask because it seems like it's pretty variable.

Like lacrosse, I've noticed the refs lot a let more go in front of the net in terms of contact, even in non-checking rec leagues. I know you're supposed to make it an unpleasant place to be, but where to you draw the line?

I usually try to just tie the guy from and step in front of him, while moving him out of the way.. but the few times I've played forward, I've taken crosschecks into the back (under the shoulder pads) and slashes to my wrists without the refs calling anything.

Is there such thing as too rough?

ChiTownHawks 02-07-2012 01:50 PM

More than likely you'll get away with a lot until the guys falls over. I play D and try to use skill to prevent the guy from scoring, but there is another guy on my team who is really physical and he seems to get away with everything until he knocks the other guys over. Then he gets a crosschecking penalty.

Also if you are looking to push a guy out of the slot keep your hands close to your body or use your shoulder if you can. Once you extend your arms away from your body you are risking getting the penalty called.

bp spec 02-07-2012 02:01 PM

You get away with almost everything, that was at least the case in my game last weekend. I took several cross checks and slashes. I answered with several attempts of castrating the guy. (Not literally, but I tried to hurt him) We ended up fighting later in the game.

Jarick 02-07-2012 02:57 PM

Pushing/shoving the guy out of the way, but not full on cross checks, slashes, or trips.

The tip given to me by an ex NHL'er was to get very low, get your stick under the guy's butt, and then lift up while you push with your legs. 99% of the time he either gets out of the way or falls over.

650X2 02-07-2012 03:04 PM

basically if you are able to keep you stick down and not make a sudden throwing yourself at him motion. You can get away with alot.

JoeCool16 02-07-2012 03:58 PM

I don't play D but I end up planted in front of the net on the offensive a lot, and the refs seem to let anything go as long as the stick is low. No cross checking, but you're allowed to put your stick against the offensive player's back and then push away. You just can't do it in one violent motion.

shawn1331 02-07-2012 04:27 PM

When the puck goes to the point the ref will watch it, thats when you let him have it in front of the net and when they look back they just see a dude has fallen on the ice and broke his neck, no harm by you mister innocent there.

Flonominal 02-07-2012 04:47 PM

Nothing in front of the net gets called idk why but im fine with it :sarcasm:
I usally trip em (by accident) when i tie up there sticks> I think slashing them is a little overboard. I just put my hands together and push em away Seems to work

damacumich 02-07-2012 04:54 PM

I usually take a serious beating in front of the nets, and I give nearly as much as I receive (I'm a forward). I like to set the tone, that way some teams will just leave me alone in front to do my dirty work. Honestly I think it is always at the referee's discretion, so just keep riding that fine line.

TieClark 02-11-2012 05:01 PM

I always plant myself in front of the net but I'm not all that big (6'0, 140ish) so I really have to fight with the defenders. They can usually get aware with anything as long as they aren't holding or using their stick either as a hook or trip.

Gibson19 02-11-2012 05:33 PM

When I play forward I always crash the net and have never drawn a penalty by just planting myself, despite cross checks, slashes. Hell one time I got cross checked into the post and then the goalie gave me a few shots while I was getting up. It was forceful enough that I knocked the net off. Refs didn't see any of it and took the faceoff outside the zone.

As a defender I find the best thing to do is be unpredictable. I draw the line at slashing and have never crosschecked anyone. I get really low and just randomly push them around, smack their stick away. Also just tie up there stick. But when I sense the puck is coming I usually try and lift their stick rather than hold it down. The key is to not stick lift them until that point. You don't want them to expect it.

I've never been penalized for any of what I described.

newfr4u 02-13-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 43739311)
Pushing/shoving the guy out of the way, but not full on cross checks, slashes, or trips.

The tip given to me by an ex NHL'er was to get very low, get your stick under the guy's butt, and then lift up while you push with your legs. 99% of the time he either gets out of the way or falls over.

good advice

hyster110 02-13-2012 02:54 PM

most of the time, i will push and shove with a guy in front, id he is an a$$hole player i will throw in a crosscheck or two for good measure

nyk16 02-15-2012 03:32 PM

I play D and I've noticed that I can get away with almost any physical activity in front of the net as long as I keep my hands and stick down. As soon as the hands or stick come up, that is when the calls are made (at least in my league).

Ozz 02-15-2012 03:43 PM

Depends on the refs and how exactly you (or the refs perceive you to) hit the guy. I've been clobbered from behind right in the head and knocked down with no calls made, and I've literally thrown a guy over clear over our goalie and into the goal posts without getting a call. Other times, you can shove someone with two hands and have it "seen" as a cross check by the ref and get a call.

It's nice to know what certain refs let go, or you can just watch the flow of the game. Then again you can always test the refs and see what you can get away with. There's just no across the board way to say what will be deemed illegal or not.

Kevin27nyi 02-15-2012 03:58 PM

In my experience, if you don't knock the guy over the first time, the ref will give you a warning and even then it's kind of lenient. If you slash the forward and he slashes you back they will let it go unless it's really malicious.

I like that type of play personally, you have to earn your space.

Erz8771 02-15-2012 10:25 PM

When I played I would put my stick between the other players legs. I wouldnt get him in the man parts but just close enough to piss them off. I would draw a lot of penalties doing that. It really bothers most players. Never got called doing that.

noobman 02-16-2012 10:50 AM

I try not to get too nasty. I'll tie up the stick and jostle for position, but you won't see me crosschecking a guy in the back or slashing him.

I would avoid the slashes, but cross-checks will go uncalled unless the guy takes a dive. A nice little trick is to find the seam point between the shoulder pads and the pants at the back, jam your stick in there like a crosscheck, then push into the spine and down. It hurts like hell and will usually help you get a bigger guy out of the way. Sticking your blade in the back of a guy's knee and pushing slightly will usually throw him off too, since he'll be in a hockey stance and his knees won't be locked.

Doland 02-16-2012 11:17 AM

Hold the stick in cross-check position, push down on the players spine protector on the pants.

Stickmata 02-16-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 44249893)
I try not to get too nasty. I'll tie up the stick and jostle for position, but you won't see me crosschecking a guy in the back or slashing him.

I would avoid the slashes, but cross-checks will go uncalled unless the guy takes a dive. A nice little trick is to find the seam point between the shoulder pads and the pants at the back, jam your stick in there like a crosscheck, then push into the spine and down. It hurts like hell and will usually help you get a bigger guy out of the way. Sticking your blade in the back of a guy's knee and pushing slightly will usually throw him off too, since he'll be in a hockey stance and his knees won't be locked.

Plays like this will earn a guy a two handed chop on the ankle from me. I play it totally clean in front of the net until somebody does something bush like this. I had a guy spear me in the back of the knee in front of the net once to put me down. I'll bet he still has the bruise on his ankle.

Good players can clear the front of the net without resorting to cheap shots.

noobman 02-16-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 44253115)
Plays like this will earn a guy a two handed chop on the ankle from me. I play it totally clean in front of the net until somebody does something bush like this. I had a guy spear me in the back of the knee in front of the net once to put me down. I'll bet he still has the bruise on his ankle.

Good players can clear the front of the net without resorting to cheap shots.

Good players can, I agree... which is why I don't condone it, but it's a good way to move a guy you can't seem to beat and, based on your reaction, draw a penalty in the process. It's all about context. I don't play league hockey anymore so if I am taking a guy in front of the net it's usually just me leaning on him a little bit and taking the stick.

Wildturkey12 02-16-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Donald (Post 44251393)
Hold the stick in cross-check position, push down on the players spine protector on the pants.

This works but sometimes too well. I once pushed down hard enough to where the guys pants started slipping down. He gave me a " what the **** are you doing" and then strange looks the rest of the game. It never really pissed him off, just frightened him a bit.

JoeCool16 02-16-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 44257177)
This works but sometimes too well. I once pushed down hard enough to where the guys pants started slipping down. He gave me a " what the **** are you doing" and then strange looks the rest of the game. It never really pissed him off, just frightened him a bit.

hahahaha that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

newfr4u 02-16-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 44257177)

what with these young forwards these days, wearing their hockey pants too low, eh?

Wildturkey12 02-16-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfr4u (Post 44260999)
what with these young forwards these days, wearing their hockey pants too low, eh?

It would be a good ad campaign for the suspender industry.