HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lars Eller (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1101377)

ohheyhemsky 02-08-2012 02:02 AM

Lars Eller

Hey, just trying to get some information on Lars Eller. He was one of my favorite prospects in the '07 draft, and I'm just trying to get some information on him. His numbers seem decent, but I'm not sure if he's not used in a scoring role, used in separate situations etc.

Are you guys happy with his play, and what he adds all together?

Nicko999 02-08-2012 02:09 AM

Beast... he is as good as Plekanec defensively and his offensive game is starting to develop as well. He's also the second most talented player on the team behind Kostitsyn.

In the future, think about a bigger, meaner, more skilled Plekanec. That's what Eller will be.

Vi Nc E x13x 02-08-2012 02:27 AM

Like nikko said he is a beast he is used as a 3rd line center in a checking role against top lines. Given no pp time thats why his production isnt very high but very skilled and when he gets the 2nd line role with pp time I believe his production will increase to a 50-70pt two-way guy

Habaneros 02-08-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky (Post 43786531)
Hey, just trying to get some information on Lars Eller. He was one of my favorite prospects in the '07 draft, and I'm just trying to get some information on him. His numbers seem decent, but I'm not sure if he's not used in a scoring role, used in separate situations etc.

Are you guys happy with his play, and what he adds all together?

next year on the first line many are predicting for him to get 245-290 points.

MasterDecoy 02-08-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 43786615)
Beast... he is as good as Plekanec defensively and his offensive game is starting to develop as well. He's also the second most talented player on the team behind Kostitsyn.

In the future, think about a bigger, meaner, more skilled Plekanec. That's what Eller will be.

the bolded part is what i am pretty sure he will be but as of right now, he is not as good as plekanec defensively - close though.

but say he stopped developing right now, he'd be a very good third line shutdown center

OneSharpMarble 02-08-2012 04:30 AM

He isn't much of a playmaker but you can see the talent is there to be a big strong centre. He doesn't use his wingers that well but we all expect that to change. Good shot strong on the puck. Right now he fits well on the 3rd line and Akost takes care of him :)

WhiskeySeven 02-08-2012 04:42 AM

He's rounding out *very* nicely but has huge holes in his game. He doesn't give up on the play and has solid fundementals but he's missing that spark that really good players have, the thing that makes them a threat every time they're on the ice. Not to say other players have it on our team, but Eller doesn't have it yet.

Definitely going to get better and definitely has a higher cieling than Plekanec, he already has a great shot and intensity, he can hold the puck and stick-handle as well as anyone and he's a fast skater.

The biggest flaw is his 'tunnel-vision' and I'm sure that'll get better as he gains confidence and experience. He almost refuses to play heads-up hockey and can't develop a passing-play well right now but he'll get into the right positions and that's a really good sign.

I would say his absolute, '100%' potential is Forsberg-esque just because of his combo of tenacity+stick skills+balance and his likely outcome is a more physical Plekanec.

Lions999 02-08-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 43787619)
He isn't much of a playmaker but you can see the talent is there to be a big strong centre. He doesn't use his wingers that well but we all expect that to change. Good shot strong on the puck. Right now he fits well on the 3rd line and Akost takes care of him :)

I think its the other way around he takes care of AK,and wingers well one is AK that plays 25 games out of 82.The other is Moen that doesnt have much talent and Darche the same thing...So it doesnt help that most of the time he plays with guys that dont have the same type of skills as he does. He`s also ahead these guys most of the time cause they cant keep up. So give him someone like Patches on the wing and you`ll see his production get lots better. Also i`ve noticed that in the last 25 or 30 games he`s done an amazing job of covering up for other players mistakes. We went into OT because of Pleks mistake.......

EllertoKostitsynGoal 02-08-2012 06:41 AM

My favorite player on the team, seems to be develloping more into a great puck possession player than pure playmaker. In terms of overall offensive game something makes me think of a way I used to describes Subban's offence the other day, I said that Subban doesn't really have the playmaking ceilling of a guy like Markov has but a lot of his points will come from the simple fact that he's such a good puck possession player. Basically puck possesion=goals Doesn't mean they can't make great passes (but if you've watched them both you may have noticed they botth kind of have a bit of a puck hog tendencies wich seems to be a trait of puck possession type) but a big part of their offence is a simple ability to drive the play at the other end of the ice.

Eller is already on an average top 6 foward point pace at ES so a big part of his low numbers come from not getting powerplaytime. I also think he'll be a player that averages more assists than goals once he plays consistently with offensive minded linemates, but his devellopment is not close to done anyway. But its great seeing him this season, he was very very raw last year even for a 21 year old but he's progressing very nicely and, most important, consistently.

I see him become a good two way tough minutes foward. Something like +-40ES pts playing against top lines, the rest will depend on PP time, wich is unpredictable.

WestIslander 02-08-2012 07:08 AM

Lars Eller will definately be a very good 3rd line centre, but I think he will be the 2nd line centre of the future and hopefully it will be behing Grigorenko or Galchenyuk.

MXD 02-08-2012 07:22 AM

Take for granted that he'll be a 3rd (albeit a very good one) for a really long time.
If he ends up being something more... be happy.

The Kremelin Wall* 02-08-2012 07:51 AM

His numbers are good considering he gets 0 seconds of PP time a game most nights. He's a beast defensively. I would say he's almost passed Plekanec as a penalty killer. I really think he's going to make Plekanec trade bait by the end of Plek's contract.

Myron Gaines* 02-08-2012 08:41 AM

He's already a heck of a third line centre and there's no doubt in my mind that he'll top out as a solid 2nd line centre in the future. He has to mature a bit and try to dish out the puck better in the offensive zone, but it'll come as he'll play with better linemates.

THE HOFF 02-08-2012 09:17 AM

consistency issues. He does a sick move, stickhandles the puck past 4 players... then misses a 5 foot pass, or an open net.

Habs 02-08-2012 09:20 AM

He got married way too young.

RaMMuT 02-08-2012 09:31 AM

Draft his brother already... :sarcasm:

Bullsmith 02-08-2012 09:39 AM

Like many young players, he's wildly inconsistent. He makes mental mistakes. Apart from that he's looking like an ideal 2nd/3rd line center down the road. He's big, strong, fearless, strong and fast on his skates, highly competitive and has some legitimate but as yet undetermined offensive upside, including an improving shot. He's got a bright future.

guest1467 02-08-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 43786615)

No, he isn't.

llamateizer 02-08-2012 09:43 AM

takes sometime useless penalties

Very good handling, He improved his defensive skill. Offensively, there is potential. But really happy with his play.

MathMan 02-08-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall (Post 43789269)
His numbers are good considering he gets 0 seconds of PP time a game most nights.

His 5-on-5 scoring rates are creeping up to top-6 levels but aren't quite there yet. He got a lot of milleage from a lot of shorthanded scoring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall (Post 43789269)
I would say he's almost passed Plekanec as a penalty killer.

I wouldn't say that, but then I see Plekanec as a contender for best penalty-killing forward in the game, so it hardly reflects poorly on Eller.

There's several reasons the Habs have the best PK in hockey. :)

Avim86 02-08-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaMMuT (Post 43791827)
Draft his brother already... :sarcasm:

He has a brother? I'd be mads if we don't try to draft him.

Habs 02-08-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 43787699)
He's rounding out *very* nicely but has huge holes in his game. He doesn't give up on the play and has solid fundementals but he's missing that spark that really good players have, the thing that makes them a threat every time they're on the ice. Not to say other players have it on our team, but Eller doesn't have it yet.

Definitely going to get better and definitely has a higher cieling than Plekanec, he already has a great shot and intensity, he can hold the puck and stick-handle as well as anyone and he's a fast skater.

The biggest flaw is his 'tunnel-vision' and I'm sure that'll get better as he gains confidence and experience. He almost refuses to play heads-up hockey and can't develop a passing-play well right now but he'll get into the right positions and that's a really good sign.

I would say his absolute, '100%' potential is Forsberg-esque just because of his combo of tenacity+stick skills+balance and his likely outcome is a more physical Plekanec.

Wait, Eller has Forsberg potential now? Did you forget a :sarcasm: somewhere? A more physical Plekanec? lol

Et le But 02-08-2012 10:00 AM

He's not as good as Plekanec defensively yet, sorry. His decision making still needs work, and while he's a good skater he's not quite Pleks good.

He's far ahead of him development-wise though, so give him 2 years.

#57 02-08-2012 10:29 AM

Eller doesn't use his linemates very well and isn't a very good playmaker for a guy that plays C. But I would say he doesn't have any other holes in his game, he is a smooth skater, can play physical, has a great shot and is very good defensively.

Should be a solid 50-60 pts two-way center for years to come.

Et le But 02-08-2012 10:37 AM

Eller does suffer from tunnel vision and he doesn't have that creativity that puts him in the same league as the Grigorenkos of the world, but I'm not too worried about that. A lot of young centres aren't naturally elite and seeing everyone around them, he's an above average passer and doesn't seem to be an intentional puck hog so I really do believe he has a lot of unseen offensive potential.

In a few years he will make Plekanec expendable, but he's not there yet.