HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   If playoffs started today who starts in net? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1101615)

TylerD1 02-08-2012 11:47 AM

If playoffs started today who starts in net?
 
Just wanted to see who you guys would rather have in net come playoffs. Both goaltenders have been pretty amazing as of late and pretty even in my opinion. I would still say I would go with Halak just because of what he did in Montreal. He seems like he could steal us a couple games when the team isn't on their a game. That's not saying I wouldn't be happy If Elliot got the call either.

GOBLUES4257 02-08-2012 11:49 AM

Halak. He's been on fire of late.

bleedblue1223 02-08-2012 11:51 AM

Halak, he is playoff proven and has been absolutely amazing since his rough start.

SirPaste 02-08-2012 11:51 AM

Halak, no question about it. Not taking anything away from Elliott but I think its pretty clear that Halak is the guy.

EOM 02-08-2012 11:59 AM

Yeah, it's got to be Halak. He's the Blues' biggest x-factor in the playoffs in my opinion. If he plays like he did when he was with Montreal, only with a competent defense in front of him, the Blues could do some serious damage, despite their scoring deficiencies.

frostyflo 02-08-2012 12:03 PM

Halak. easy one for me

2 Minute Minor 02-08-2012 12:03 PM

For anyone that's followed the Blues closely, this really isn't a dilemma at all. Halak is the starter.

Elliott has been great. He's still playing at a high level, but its cooled off a bit from the early season. However, Halak is playing dominant hockey right now, exuding confidence, and is the guy you want in the post-season. Its nice to know Elliott is there if needed.

I've seen this same thread on the main board. Non-Blues fans (mostly) seem to think Elliott has played better and is more deserving. But if you only look at numbers from the past 2 months, I think you start to realize how consistent Halak has been. I'm glad Elliott got recognized with an all-star invitation, but Halak is the starting goalie for the Blues. (The dude has been averaging a shut-out every 2 or 3 games.)

TylerD1 02-08-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EOM (Post 43798231)
Yeah, it's got to be Halak. He's the Blues' biggest x-factor in the playoffs in my opinion. If he plays like he did when he was with Montreal, only with a competent defense in front of him, the Blues could do some serious damage, despite their scoring deficiencies.

That's how I see it to. It's almost like old fashion Devils hockey. Good defense with good goaltending. Might not put up a lot of points at times but a win is all I am worried about. Montreal as I can remember didn't have to put up a lot of goals to beat Washington. They relied on Halak to bail them out. Big difference with us is we have a great defense so Halak wont have as big of a load.

Thallis 02-08-2012 12:27 PM

Got to be Halak at this point. Elliot has looked more human lately, while Halak has significantly stepped up his game.

Stillflexin* 02-08-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 43797827)
Halak, he is playoff proven and has been absolutely amazing since his rough start.

So 2 good playoff rounds makes him playoff proven? No doubt Halak is the starter but I just hate when people say he is playoff proven just from that ONE year in Montreal.

bluesfan94 02-08-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillflexin (Post 43800357)
So 2 good playoff rounds makes him playoff proven? No doubt Halak is the starter but I just hate when people say he is playoff proven just from that ONE year in Montreal.

He proved himself in the playoffs on a mediocre Montreal team against two very good, high scoring teams.

bleedblue1223 02-08-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillflexin (Post 43800357)
So 2 good playoff rounds makes him playoff proven? No doubt Halak is the starter but I just hate when people say he is playoff proven just from that ONE year in Montreal.

What bluesfan94 said. That's why we traded for him as well.

Stillflexin* 02-08-2012 01:09 PM

I still don't count one playoff run as a proven playoff goalie.

bleedblue1223 02-08-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillflexin (Post 43801371)
I still don't count one playoff run as a proven playoff goalie.

what about 2 ;)

Stillflexin* 02-08-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 43801587)
what about 2 ;)

Oh of course then I would :handclap:

Dolph Ziggler 02-08-2012 01:45 PM

Halak AINEC

Like Elliott fine, but there isn't a doubt in my mind

2 Minute Minor 02-08-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillflexin (Post 43801371)
I still don't count one playoff run as a proven playoff goalie.

He also put on a great performance in the Olympics. In every opportunity Halak has had, he's elevated his play in the post-season tourney style play.

I can understand skepticism, but what are you proposing....starting Elliott instead?

bleedblue1223 02-08-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor (Post 43803081)
He also put on a great performance in the Olympics. In every opportunity Halak has had, he's elevated his play in the post-season tourney style play.

I can understand skepticism, but what are you proposing....starting Elliott instead?

No, he said he would be the starter, just that he didn't like Halak being called playoff proven, which I can understand.

Oberyn 02-08-2012 02:49 PM

Halak. But should he struggle, I would not feel too worried putting Elliott in.

Sushiko 02-08-2012 03:41 PM

Even if he's not "playoff proven" I'd still start Halak just because I think he's up for it.

PogoElGato 02-09-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacheesh (Post 43805889)
Halak. But should he struggle, I would not feel too worried putting Elliott in.

If Halak struggles, it's too late. Blues will be done. If Halak gets the nod for starting the playoffs, I don't think Hitchcock will have a quick thumb.

SoulChaser17 02-09-2012 06:53 AM

Definitely Halak. He's proven himself so much lately that I've just completely liked him more than Elliot. Don't get me wrong, Elliot is great, but I just think Halak is more impressive overall. So long as he has confidence in himself, I'd say he's one of the best goalies in the league.

dao256 02-09-2012 05:58 PM

Halak, but its nice to know we will have a solid backup who can be called upon if need be.

In the remaining 28 games (after tonight) how many would you want Elliott to start?

Dolph Ziggler 02-09-2012 09:46 PM

Without looking at the schedule and accounting for back to backs or travel, I'd say 10-12 for Elliott out of 28

PogoElGato 02-10-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dany (Post 43865259)
Halak, but its nice to know we will have a solid backup who can be called upon if need be.

In the remaining 28 games (after tonight) how many would you want Elliott to start?

And needed last night in New Jersey. Elliott was the difference maker.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.