HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Soccer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   New to Football (questions, etc) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1101747)

Chimaera 02-08-2012 02:27 PM

New to Football (questions, etc)

Maybe we can try to stay on topic. I do think this thread is worthwhile. Feel free to post "what's a transfer" "where can I watch matches" "what's the CL?" maybe?

Please no pissing match

Brodie 02-08-2012 02:33 PM

Link to the old thread, newbies should avoid all the leaguesmack as it will not be welcome here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1098075

saskriders 03-14-2012 05:02 PM

Question from someone who knows nothing about football

How do they determine how much extra time there is. I heard it was refs discretion. Wouldn't that cause lot's of controversy over goals scored in that time:dunno: :help:

edit: sorry didn't see the sticky

Schalkenullvier* 03-14-2012 05:17 PM

You're right, the refs and his assistants decide it.

There's often complains if a team thinks that there wasn't enough injury time (or, too much if a team concedes) but that's just seen as whining, and after a week no one cares anymore (except when it's outrageously off the norm). There are some guidelines... In England there is usually more that at international level.

Savi 03-14-2012 05:22 PM

Well there's a difference, or we talking about some random game, or one where Man Utd are at home, needing another goal? :sarcasm:

Chimaera 03-14-2012 07:04 PM

A typical match will see 2-4 minutes. Not usually more, often less.

Tanner Glass 03-14-2012 07:30 PM

Though I've seen some EPL matches with almost 15mins

GKJ 03-15-2012 09:59 AM

A big help would be if anyone can provide a list of good Twitter accounts to follow.

tobo 03-15-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savi (Post 46076353)
Well there's a difference, or we talking about some random game, or one where Man Utd are at home, needing another goal? :sarcasm:

Or Birmingham who scored a goal against Club Bruges in the 99th minute? :yo:

Stray Wasp 03-15-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 46116209)
A big help would be if anyone can provide a list of good Twitter accounts to follow.

Are you particularly interested in worthwhile news sources or the "thoughts" of players?

Jussi 03-15-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savi (Post 46076353)
Well there's a difference, or we talking about some random game, or one where Arsenal are at home, needing another goal? :sarcasm:

Fixed. ;)

Jussi 03-15-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stray Wasp (Post 46120529)
Are you particularly interested in worthwhile news sources or the "thoughts" of players?

:laugh: Thankfully, football hasn't embraced twatter so much as other sports.

Savi 03-15-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobo (Post 46119767)
Or Birmingham who scored a goal against Club Bruges in the 99th minute? :yo:

thanks for the reminder.. :shakehead

GKJ 03-15-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stray Wasp (Post 46120529)

Worthwhile news.

Stray Wasp 03-16-2012 04:15 AM

A few suggestions.

For La Liga, Guillem Balague.

Serie A, Gabriele Marcotti.

EPL, Henry Winter.

Jonathan Wilson.

GKJ 03-25-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stray Wasp (Post 46172375)
A few suggestions.

For La Liga, Guillem Balague.

Serie A, Gabriele Marcotti.

EPL, Henry Winter.

Jonathan Wilson.

I'll check them out, thanks (forgot to stop back in here).

Brodie 03-31-2012 03:05 AM

follow Joey Barton

it'd be funnier if it didn't make me want to shoot myself

AlanHUK 04-07-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 46139297)
Worthwhile news.

there are a few skysports news presenters with accounts. but they're more useful to follow around transfer deadline day.

https://twitter.com/#!/SKYSPORTS - will have everything to do with most british sport.

https://twitter.com/#!/SkySports/sky...enters/members - that's the list of sky sports news presenters who tweet

davemess 04-09-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskriders (Post 46075499)
How do they determine how much extra time there is. I heard it was refs discretion. Wouldn't that cause lot's of controversy over goals scored in that time:dunno: :help:

There are a few things that the Refs will tend to add time on for.

1) Subs - general guideline is that 30 secs per sub made is added.

2) Injuries - If a player is hurt and time is lost the ref can add it on (this is usually what causes the longer extra time periods).

3) Time Wasting - If a team is deliberetly slowing the game down (taking too long over freekicks, throw ins etc) the ref has the leeway to add more time.

Primrose Everdeen 06-25-2012 11:06 PM

Another thing about added time is, the referees tend to add more in the second half than the first half. Only time I see more than 1-2 minutes tacked on to the first half is if there's a major injury. The second half I typically see 3-5 minutes added on. A lot has to do with substitutions though, since the vast majority of subs happen in the second half. And while they're not compelled to do so, referees almost never end a half when one team is on the attack and will wait until the ball has been cleared to midfield or goes out for a goal kick, or something. Some controversy can come from that as I've seen a referee add three minutes, a team gets a corner at like 92:50, it comes to nothing but they keep the ball in the attacking third and eventually work a goal timed around 94:00.

Then there's "Fergie time." I won't comment on that, at the risk of getting in trouble. (Though most of it would just be joking around. A lot of people already know what I'm referring to by now.)

CanadianPirate 06-27-2012 09:52 PM

Hi guys. I started watching this uefa tournament and found it very exciting to watch. It has made me interested in watching club soccer. I am leaning towards the EPL but I was wondering which team/teams people would suggest I follow? Who plays an exciting style? Who has stars which may be exciting or young players who may become exciting? And what suggestions do people have for watching it live in Canada? Is there some sort of beginners guide to soccer ahahah?

Live in the Now 06-27-2012 09:55 PM

Teams play so many different styles that my honest opinion is that you should watch a bunch of different matches and see what you like. I'm pretty sure they show the Premier League on Sportsnet in Canada.

cgf 06-27-2012 10:22 PM

I'm not really an EPL fan, since the Bundesliga has more exciting young teams and turnover, but Newcastle to me are the most interesting EPL team, they've been making very crafty deals in the transfer market and have some exciting players.

ck26 06-27-2012 10:23 PM

+1

Watch whatever you can. Many fans gravitate to the English language and the Premier League; if you speak French fluently you'll find some good soccer in Ligue 1. My favorite league in Europe is the German Bundesliga for a number of reasons, so find the emotion wherever you find it.

Based on your avatar, if you actually live in Vancouver, check out the Whitecaps

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/

... because the supporter club culture goes a long way towards building up the "emotion" that makes the game so much more fun to watch. Soccer fans also like to congregate in a small number of pubs, so check out the team website for info about who and where, and you may well find a group of friends there who will help you make an informed decision.

CanadianPirate 06-27-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live in the Now (Post 51636669)
Teams play so many different styles that my honest opinion is that you should watch a bunch of different matches and see what you like. I'm pretty sure they show the Premier League on Sportsnet in Canada.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on watching matches when the epl starts again in August. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for who plays an exciting brand. On a different note man this is a difficult sport to get into. The sport itself is fairly easy to understand but I'm finding my biggest challenge is understanding what teams are trying to win. For example is the best team in the epl the one who wins the premiere league? Or is there some sort of playoff? Or is it the one who wins the champions league or I read some where the Carling Cup?