HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pronger discusses eventual UFA possibilities (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=110217)

Zoran Manojlovic 10-24-2004 03:34 AM

Pronger discusses eventual UFA possibilities

Read this article...

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/04...d12-313384.htm

Next stop.. Detroit? :D

Legionnaire 10-24-2004 04:00 AM

Quote:

You know, when I was a restricted free agent (in July) I was able to talk to a few teams a gauge their interest and see where I fit into the mix with those teams that I spoke with.
Um....Wouldn't that be tampering?

Winston Wolf 10-24-2004 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Um....Wouldn't that be tampering?

He was still a free agent and allowed to talk to other teams. Once his contract was up, any team could talk to him but would have to compensate St. Louis with 5 first rounders if St. Louis didn't match the offer. Most tampering cases are because the inquiring team doesn't wait until the contract is up (July 1st.)

Vatican Roulette 10-24-2004 12:02 PM

I honestly dont think he'll leave St. Louis. If he does, i think NJ might be the team trying the most for him.

Classic Devil 10-24-2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
I honestly dont think he'll leave St. Louis. If he does, i think NJ might be the team trying the most for him.

Hmmm... perhaps. But I don't think Pronger has a Devils type attitude.

gr8haluschak 10-24-2004 12:42 PM

hmm that is funny since he accepted his qualifying offer so I guess no he will not be a free agent after the new collective barginig agreement, and I would like to know where this yahoo is getting his information seeing how for the last year the Blues and Pronger have been negotiating a long term deal. To those that think he is going t othe Wings I hate to burst your bubble but the sticking point for Pronger now is if or if not the Blues are rebuilding so why would he go to the Wings who will have no other choice but to rebuild.

Puckhead 10-24-2004 12:44 PM

While I am sure Pronger doesn't need the money, that will be the mitigating factor in where he plays. If you believe all the rhetoric about the NHL landscape changing in terms of the way the franchises to business financially, then certain teams will have more money once all the smoke clears and we get back to playing hockey.

I understand that any fix would be factored in gradually over the course of 3-5 years, but the same holds true. If Pronger likes New Jersey, but if Dallas throws more money and years at him...What would you do?

Trottier 10-24-2004 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk

I agree and have thought so for a while.

For, if healthy, Pronger offers NJ the closest thing to what they acquired (from St. Louis coincidentally) with Stevens back in '90:

An elite, rock solid defender, who is proven and in-his-prime, around whom you can build your defensive corp, and your entire team for that matter. Those types are sooooo hard to come by.

Especially with Stevens (and his contract) nearing the end, the timing would be perfect.

Lobstertainment 10-24-2004 01:23 PM

I'd personally love to see him in Toronto but I doubt we could get him, keep Sundin and get under a cap at the same time.

now if there's some soft cap or franchaise players not counting against the cap or something then I'll kill the entire front office staff if they don't give it 100% to aquire him.

Pronger is exactly what Toronto has needed for years, that elite crease clearing defenseman, any and all offense pronger could give would be strictly a Bonus.

Lobstertainment 10-24-2004 01:24 PM

oh and before I get flamed yeah everyone does want to come to Toronto, I know it must suck for you guys but it's a proven fact that all players want to play for Toronto and the Lockout isn't really about a CAP it's about increasing roster sizes so everyone can sign with the Leafs ;)

mercury 10-24-2004 01:40 PM

I've always said Pronger would look good in orange and black, and we will getting rid of a lot of payroll between now and the startup of play. If you believe the trade rumors, we were after him and Demitra last year. . .

degroat* 10-24-2004 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zzzz
Read this article...

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/04...d12-313384.htm

Next stop.. Detroit? :D

Since this dolt a of a journalist conveniently only included the quotes that fit into his article, he's where he got his 'story'.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...21_143026_5624

As you can see, Pronger is simply saying that if he is a UFA he's going to go where he sees the best situation. This is no different than almost any other UFA.

"I've made a lot of money over my career. I want to go somewhere and win! In our league it's very tough to pick who's going to win because you never know, but you can give yourself a good opportunity and whether that's in St Louis, whether that's somewhere else we'll see when the time comes to make that decision."

degroat* 10-24-2004 02:02 PM

BTW... can some moderator please change the laughably inaccurate thread title. Pronger is not GONE from anywhere.

Once again Wings fans never cease to amaze me...

ChrisKreider20 10-24-2004 03:04 PM

Rangers fans.... if Leetch, Pronger, Niedermayer become free agents who would you rather have signed....

as much as I love Leetch, I'd pick Pronger...better hitter

Mizral 10-24-2004 04:04 PM

Pronger was on TV the other day saying some pretty candid remarks. I think he wants out of St. Loo. He was speaking as if he was already gone. I think his mind is made up. I don't think he wants to go through another year in St.Louis. Perhaps the Blues will trade his rights?

Gotta imagine Philly is first in line here. He is EXACTLY what they need I'd say.

degroat* 10-24-2004 04:31 PM

If Pronger didn't want another year in St Louis, he would have demanded a trade. Period.

degroat* 10-24-2004 04:32 PM

And yes, they should trade him.

ehc73 10-24-2004 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
Gotta imagine Philly is first in line here. He is EXACTLY what they need I'd say.

They're pretty stacked on D already, unless they're planning not to bring back Desjardins or something.

Lobstertainment 10-24-2004 04:44 PM

isn't he exactly what everyone needs?

Bacchus 10-24-2004 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stich
And yes, they should trade him.

Question for you Blues fans: Do you think Jackman can (or better: could) replace Pronger properly?

NJ_Devil_Boy 10-24-2004 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Hmmm... perhaps. But I don't think Pronger has a Devils type attitude.

...and I don't know where NJ is going to find the money Pronger will command.

Classic Devil 10-24-2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
...and I don't know where NJ is going to find the money Pronger will command.

It would have to come from Stevens or Niedermayer.

Vic Rattlehead* 10-24-2004 05:05 PM

Hey, with all of Boston's payroll trimming, would St. Louis be willing to trade Pronger to Boston for a deal involving Gonchar and prospects/picks/players?

NJ_Devil_Boy 10-24-2004 05:06 PM

Well, it would have to come from Stevens (if he retires). I don't see the point of saying bye bye to Niedermayer and hello Pronger.

degroat* 10-24-2004 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franz
Question for you Blues fans: Do you think Jackman can (or better: could) replace Pronger properly?

I think Jackman has the potential to be a #1, but he'll never be close to what Chris Pronger is.