HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   OT: Hotel info for the WC! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1102821)

SeenSchenn2 02-09-2012 06:25 PM

Hotel info for the WC!
 
Leaf fan in peace here,

Just wanted to ask you guys for some information.

So, obviously all the hotels in Ann Arbour are already booked... but how are the motels? Are they extremely sketchy/dangerous or what?

Also, surrounding cities like Plymouth, etc. how are they as options in terms of the drive and quality? We'd obviously be looking for a hotel there.


Detroit Mods, feel free to merge this.

Looking forward to a great build up to the WC :yo:

WingedWheel1987 02-09-2012 06:28 PM

Have you considered a hotel in Detroit since there will be festivities going on there too?

Obviously if you dont feel like driving 45 minutes between each area thats understandable.

SeenSchenn2 02-09-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 (Post 43863805)
Have you considered a hotel in Detroit since there will be festivities going on there too?

We're a bunch of young University students, so I'm not sure we'd go to a lot because of how expensive it'll end up being, but we'd like too so yeah that could be an option, just haven't really looked yet.


It's not out of the question, but you recommend looking there first?


Edit: Don't mind the drive

WingedWheel1987 02-09-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 43863893)
We're a bunch of young University students, so I'm not sure we'd go to a lot because of how expensive it'll end up being, but we'd like too so yeah that could be an option, just haven't really looked yet.


It's not out of the question, but you recommend looking there first?


Edit: Don't mind the drive

]

I dont think Detroit is very expensive, but i would not be surprised if they jacked up the prices during the week.

As for your original question, i am not very well informed about the area since i i have never been to Plymouth or the surrounding areas long enough to give you an informed opinion.

Here is a list of pretty decent hotels in Detroit.

http://www.expedia.com/Downtown-Detr...-Filter-Hotels

If you book in advance, you would be doing yourself a huge favor to your wallet.

Me personally, i would do Downtown Detroit since i could do both. I actually live ten minutes from Downtown Detroit so i plan to do both and expect the Illitch's (Wings owners) to really try and involve Detroit and make it a memorable experience.

SeenSchenn2 02-09-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 (Post 43864425)
]

I dont think Detroit is very expensive, but i would not be surprised if they jacked up the prices during the week.

As for your original question, i am not very well informed about the area since i i have never been to Plymouth or the surrounding areas long enough to give you an informed opinion.

Here is a list of pretty decent hotels in Detroit.

http://www.expedia.com/Downtown-Detr...-Filter-Hotels

If you book in advance, you would be doing yourself a huge favor to your wallet.

Me personally, i would do Downtown Detroit since i could do both. I actually live ten minutes from Downtown Detroit so i plan to do both and expect the Illitch's (Wings owners) to really try and involve Detroit and make it a memorable experience.

Thanks dude... definitely leaning towards Downtown Detroit or Windsor -- both safe areas? The atmosphere is definitely going to be crazy and I don't want to miss a minute!

Those two palces specifically, hows the drive to the big house, an hour?

WingedWheel1987 02-09-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 43865025)
Thanks dude... definitely leaning towards Downtown Detroit or Windsor -- both safe areas? The atmosphere is definitely going to be crazy and I don't want to miss a minute!

Those two palces specifically, hows the drive to the big house, an hour?

Detroit isnt safe, http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/am...ties-2011.html

but if you stick to the Downtown area, around Joe Louis, Comerica Park, you should be fine. I always go to Wings games and other events and have not had a single incident.

Only been to Windsor a few times, but i never had any problems.

Drive from Detroit is about 45 minutes.

Off the top of my head, i think the drive from Windsor to Ann Arbor is atleast 1 1/2 hours.

wingz rule 02-09-2012 07:18 PM

while we're on the topic of the WC, does anyone when tickets are going to start going on sale? I'm in the same situation as the OP, except i'm not a leafs fan

Shoalzie 02-09-2012 08:15 PM

If you want to go to the Winter Classic...stay in Ann Arbor.

zombi 02-09-2012 08:23 PM

You may be able to find a cheaper hotel in Dearborn. It's just outside of Detroit.

SeenSchenn2 02-09-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 43872779)
If you want to go to the Winter Classic...stay in Ann Arbor.

Care to elaborate..? We don't mind driving from a different city.

crashman 02-09-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 43888529)
Care to elaborate..? We don't mind driving from a different city.

If you look anything like your avatar, you can stay at my place free of charge.

/creep mode

Vatican Roulette 02-09-2012 10:59 PM

Seriously, stay in the burbs. There are plenty of hotels close to the freeways around 275 and 96. Actually, staying in Novi/Livonia would be cheaper, plus with the avaliable freeways right there, it's not a long drive to Ann Arbor. Probably around 25 minutes with moderate traffic. 45 during rush or a game. To Detroit, it's about the same.

Enjoy the game, you lucky rich guy.

EDIT: Most of Novi, you take 275 south, get off at m-14 west, follow to ann arbor. From Detroit take 96 west, that merges onto m-14 to ann arbor.

SeenSchenn2 02-09-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashman (Post 43890649)
If you look anything like your avatar, you can stay at my place free of charge.

/creep mode

:laugh:! I'm a guy, but yes... I wish I was Rachel McAdams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette (Post 43891381)
Seriously, stay in the burbs. There are plenty of hotels close to the freeways around 275 and 96. Actually, staying in Novi/Livonia would be cheaper, plus with the avaliable freeways right there, it's not a long drive to Ann Arbor. Probably around 25 minutes with moderate traffic. 45 during rush or a game. To Detroit, it's about the same.

Enjoy the game, you lucky rich guy.

EDIT: Most of Novi, you take 275 south, get off at m-14 west, follow to ann arbor. From Detroit take 96 west, that merges onto m-14 to ann arbor.

25 mins? That's nothing... A friend of mine who lives in Saginaw told me Livonia is a good palce to stay. I mean, we don't mind staying in Detroit/Windsor, we're just concerned with our safety :laugh: -- especially if we end up drinking.

I wish I was rich -- I'm saving up... and will be broke again after this. The life of a University student.

But thanks for all the info.. all of you, If you ahve anymore I'll check this thread pretty frequently.

Fugu 02-09-2012 11:46 PM

If you can't find anything closer to AA, there are numerous hotels right by Detroit Metro airport. It's not really pretty nor scenic there, but it's under a half hour to AA, and there should be lots of bargains.

Cities/burbs within easy reach: Plymouth, Novi, Farmington Hills, Livonia, Brighton (due north of AA). Downtown Detroit was mentioned already.

From the other thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post43732015

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=216

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post43728255

Fugu 02-09-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette (Post 43891381)
Seriously, stay in the burbs. There are plenty of hotels close to the freeways around 275 and 96. Actually, staying in Novi/Livonia would be cheaper, plus with the avaliable freeways right there, it's not a long drive to Ann Arbor. Probably around 25 minutes with moderate traffic. 45 during rush or a game. To Detroit, it's about the same.

Enjoy the game, you lucky rich guy.

EDIT: Most of Novi, you take 275 south, get off at m-14 west, follow to ann arbor. From Detroit take 96 west, that merges onto m-14 to ann arbor.


Or, if you take Ambassador Bridge, you can catch I-94 West (Chicago direction), which goes straight to AA. The U of Mich Stadium access is best from I-94 (State St to park at the mall and shuttle in), or Main St, which goes right to the Stadium. Easiest in/out is via Main St.

Brodie 02-10-2012 01:06 AM

I'd recommend the airport, even if you're driving as it's perfectly equidistant and there's a chance there could be rail transport running from there to both Downtown and AA, enabling all the drinking you like.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Plymouth and Livonia for those on a budget. Both have a copious amount of hotels off the E-W freeways, so are perfect for this event.

Mickey Redmond 02-10-2012 02:44 AM

Ann Arbor isn't dangerous at all, it really isn't all that big though and everything is probably already booked. I suggest staying outside of Ann Arbor. Detroit is like 30-40 minutes away and a fairly decent hotel can be booked for like 60-70 a night.

zombi 02-10-2012 08:48 AM

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the main WC thread that all the major hotels in Ann Arbor are booked up.

My suggested cities would be:

Livonia, Dearborn, Novi, Northville, Romulus, Plymouth.

It's just (mostly) generic suburbia, but it's cheap.

Unsportsmanlike 02-10-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 (Post 43865821)
Detroit isnt safe, [url]Only been to Windsor a few times, but i never had any problems.

Drive from Detroit is about 45 minutes.

Off the top of my head, i think the drive from Windsor to Ann Arbor is atleast 1 1/2 hours.

I've stayed in Windsor a million times and if you're thinking of staying downtown Detroit you should just price out Windsor as well and make your call. There's a Holiday Inn literally next to the Windsor/Detroit tunnel.

Also, Ann Arbor is like 45 mins from downtown Detroit. Provided the border moves ok add 15 mins to that travel time. However, seeing as this is the WC the border could be out of control.

I'm a huge Wings fan who also lives in Toronto. I'm staying in Ann Arbor to avoid any problems with the border.

I searched for a room all last night. I literally couldnt find a hotel room. That being said, i did find a motel room that is maybe 3ish miles from Michigan Stadium.

Also, for anyone interested most motels won't even make you put a deposit down. You provide the credit card info simply to hold the room. Most hotels are asking for a deposit with it being New Year's and the WC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingz rule (Post 43866589)
while we're on the topic of the WC, does anyone when tickets are going to start going on sale? I'm in the same situation as the OP, except i'm not a leafs fan

Thank god there are more Wings fans in Toronto. Im in Toronto too and it's painful to be surrounded by all these Leaf fans

SeenSchenn2 02-10-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 43895853)
I'd recommend the airport, even if you're driving as it's perfectly equidistant and there's a chance there could be rail transport running from there to both Downtown and AA, enabling all the drinking you like.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Plymouth and Livonia for those on a budget. Both have a copious amount of hotels off the E-W freeways, so are perfect for this event.

That's unreal. We're still going to look into options, but we booked a place in Romulus (sp?) -- which seems to be inbetween Detroit and AA. Can you guys give me the down-low on it? We figured it's a cheap hotel (best western), not to far, and it's only one night... so no biggie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombi (Post 43900563)
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the main WC thread that all the major hotels in Ann Arbor are booked up.

My suggested cities would be:

Livonia, Dearborn, Novi, Northville, Romulus, Plymouth.

It's just (mostly) generic suburbia, but it's cheap.

The suburbs sound good. As I mentioned above, we booked a place in Romulus, but still willin to look around for a better/ideal situation.

Seeing as one of our friends will only be 20 at the time, Windsor is sounding more likely.

But yeah, a report on Romulus would be appreciated! In terms of night-life, safety, etc.

DarkReign 02-10-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 43905641)
That's unreal. We're still going to look into options, but we booked a place in Romulus (sp?) -- which seems to be inbetween Detroit and AA. Can you guys give me the down-low on it? We figured it's a cheap hotel (best western), not to far, and it's only one night... so no biggie.



The suburbs sound good. As I mentioned above, we booked a place in Romulus, but still willin to look around for a better/ideal situation.

Seeing as one of our friends will only be 20 at the time, Windsor is sounding more likely.

But yeah, a report on Romulus would be appreciated! In terms of night-life, safety, etc.

This is Michigan, not Canada. There isnt s*** to do here and there is no mass transportation to accommodate easy movement between cool places to go (thank you auto industry!).

There is no "night life" in Romulus. Or Novi, or Livonia, or Plymouth or anywhere that isnt named Detroit, Royal Oak, Ann Arbor (debatable), East Lansing, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids or Traverse City.

There, I just named every cool place in Michigan for anyone single and under 30 years old in one sentence. Some will say Southfield, but whatever. Im old and dont care anymore.

My suggestion to you?

Get on the Leafs forum and put together a plan with other people like you who didnt get a hotel in AA or Detroit. Pick a city thats available and book every room in the place.

It doesnt matter if youre hanging out in some hole in the wall at the point. You'll be surrounded by blue jerseys where ever you go and will dominate which ever bar you choose to go to.

Thats your best bet. I am sorry to report but Detroit, MI is not like Chicago, New York, LA, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, Seattle, Portland or even Nashville.

Those places actually have cool places to be and a means to get there that doesnt involve driving drunk. They also have strips of bars and localities dedicated to it.

Bottom line: There isnt s*** to do here for an under 25 year old ****-hound like you and your buddies unless youre near a college town (Ann Arbor, East Lansing, K-Zoo). Its pathetic and sedate. Just the way my old-ass likes it.

Fugu 02-10-2012 01:43 PM

:laugh:

Man, DR. There are some blues bars and night life in the D, but I'm not an expert.

The problem for these guys wanting to stay in Windsor is that the border crossing my be a nightmare. I don't what time the game starts, but if it's early afternoon, they'll probably be in line for hours. If you've got 50K Leaflanders coming over for the game, the border is going to be a nightmare methinks.


Ann Arbor is usually pretty fun for the younger set, but this is taking place over the holiday break for U of M, so most of the students are going to be away from campus. No college parties for the visitors, unfortunately.


We should put up a sticky eventually, but the list of places to stay, outside of AA:

Ypsilanti (hotels that border AA and I-94 will be boring, but... it's a room)
Plymouth
Brighton
Novi
Livonia
Farmington Hills
Southfield
Romulus/Dearborn (Detro Metro Airport)

Chelsea (it's west of AA, 15-20 min to the Stadium), has some hotels right off the interstate)

Jackson - 30 min west

East Lansing/Okemos (1 hour northwest, if you're coming from the north)

Fugu 02-10-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 43905641)
That's unreal. We're still going to look into options, but we booked a place in Romulus (sp?) -- which seems to be inbetween Detroit and AA. Can you guys give me the down-low on it? We figured it's a cheap hotel (best western), not to far, and it's only one night... so no biggie.



The suburbs sound good. As I mentioned above, we booked a place in Romulus, but still willin to look around for a better/ideal situation.

Seeing as one of our friends will only be 20 at the time, Windsor is sounding more likely.

But yeah, a report on Romulus would be appreciated! In terms of night-life, safety, etc.


Romulus would have many of the Detroit Metro Airport hotels. It's the city that abuts the airport. If someone wants to stay at a fancy place and just fly in from TO, there's the Westin at the McNamara Terminal (the newest terminal).

Brodie 02-10-2012 04:15 PM

DR covered it basically... if you want nightlife and are coming from Romulus, go to Ann Arbor (or Depot Town in Ypsi). Otherwise, Royal Oak is about an hour away. It's mostly just endless suburbs here.

Price My Man Crush 02-12-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 43893343)
If you can't find anything closer to AA, there are numerous hotels right by Detroit Metro airport. It's not really pretty nor scenic there, but it's under a half hour to AA, and there should be lots of bargains.

Cities/burbs within easy reach: Plymouth, Novi, Farmington Hills, Livonia, Brighton (due north of AA). Downtown Detroit was mentioned already.

From the other thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post43732015

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=216

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post43728255

Thanks a lot, sir. There is a lot of hotels in Ann Arbor. :amazed:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.