HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Could Schultz Choose Free Agency? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1102877)

Chuck Schwartz 02-09-2012 06:48 PM

Could Schultz Choose Free Agency?

Apologize for the self promotion but I wrote about the possibility of Justin Schultz not signing with the Ducks and choosing instead to become a free agent.

I'm not sure if Ducks fans were aware of this possibility or not.

FWIW, I do think he'll end up with Anaheim...but I thought it was worth discussing.

LINK

Paul4587 02-09-2012 06:50 PM

Murray better get him signed.

DuckJet 02-09-2012 07:01 PM

I highly doubt it.

Murray said one of the reasons Jake Gardiner was expendable was the emergence of Schultz. I doubt he's going to let someone he considers to be a key part of this team's future to waste.

I don't see why they'd give him an immediate ELC. Unless he threatened to sign elsewhere if we don't (which would be kind of lame of him if he did). We're (98% sure of this) going to miss the playoffs this year. What's the use in bringing him in? To develop him? That sounds like a waste of an ELC year.

Nice piece though.

Sojourn 02-09-2012 07:03 PM

Yeah, if it comes to that, you burn the year on his ELC and give him his next payday a year early.

Sojourn 02-09-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 43870647)
I highly doubt it.

Murray said one of the reasons Jake Gardiner was expendable was the emergence of Schultz. I doubt he's going to let someone he considers to be a key part of this team's future to waste.

I think you're missing the point. Schultz can make the decision.

Gliff 02-09-2012 07:11 PM

.......I will kill GMBM

Ducks DVM 02-09-2012 07:32 PM

Option 4 - loophole is closed during CBA discussions.

Chuck Schwartz 02-09-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 43874755)
Option 4 - loophole is closed during CBA discussions.

CBA doesn't expire until September.

Exit Dose 02-09-2012 08:00 PM

It would suck if it happened, but we have no reason to think it will. I'll freak out about it when things change.

KEEROLE Vatanen 02-09-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Schwartz (Post 43875367)
CBA doesn't expire until September.

He cannot exercise that option unless he plays all four years at Wisconsin.

Sojourn 02-09-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySheen (Post 43880007)
He cannot exercise that option unless he plays all four years at Wisconsin.

He was a 2008 draft pick. That makes this summer the 4th.

DuckJet 02-09-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourn (Post 43871017)
I think you're missing the point. Schultz can make the decision.

I'm not missing any point...Murray should do whatever he can to make sure that never happens.

mighty all the way 02-09-2012 09:21 PM

If BM doesn't sign him, I want him fired. I've never been a big hater of him, but this would really make me mad.

Ducks DVM 02-09-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty all the way (Post 43889091)
If BM doesn't sign him, I want him fired. I've never been a big hater of him, but this would really make me mad.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Murray. He can offer a standard ELC. That's it. There's nothing else he can do. It's 100% up to the kid.

Static 02-09-2012 09:43 PM

Didn't Blake Wheeler do this?

DuckJet 02-09-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 43889325)
It has absolutely nothing to do with Murray. He can offer a standard ELC. That's it. There's nothing else he can do. It's 100% up to the kid.

It's not as robotic a process as faxing Schultz' agent's office an elc and hoping he signs. There is a negotiation process. A discussion. He'll try to sell him on what it means to be Duck...or whatever. How important he'll be to the team. They're going to court him. Remind him that it the Ducks WERE the team that drafted him. That they are counting on him. They'll try to sell him on the state of California, and Orange county. It would be poor business if all they did was shove an ELC in his face. That's not how it works, and if that's all they do, then Murray DOES deserve to be fired.

Ducks DVM 02-09-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 43890599)
It's not as robotic a process as faxing Schultz' agent's office an elc and hoping he signs. There is a negotiation process. A discussion. He'll try to sell him on what it means to be Duck...or whatever. How important he'll be to the team. They're going to court him. Remind him that it the Ducks WERE the team that drafted him. That they are counting on him. They'll try to sell him on the state of California, and Orange county. It would be poor business if all they did was shove an ELC in his face. That's not how it works, and if that's all they do, then Murray DOES deserve to be fired.

You miss my point. All he can offer financially is what every single other team in the league can offer. The contract will be a max ELC regardless of what team he goes to. So all Murray can do is say "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!" He can't sweeten the offer more than any other GM can, so it's all up to the kid. Muray can ******** the kid while the other GM's can't, but the kid will know what his options are already. Murray has zero leverage, just a window where he is the only guy offering.

Chuck Schwartz 02-09-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 43890893)
You miss my point. All he can offer financially is what every single other team in the league can offer. The contract will be a max ELC regardless of what team he goes to. So all Murray can do is say "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!" He can't sweeten the offer more than any other GM can, so it's all up to the kid. Muray can ******** the kid while the other GM's can't, but the kid will know what his options are already. Murray has zero leverage, just a window where he is the only guy offering.

Well, Murray has a significant advantage because he can offer Schultz a spot on the team immediately which would earn the kid upwards of $200k with signing bonus (this season) and burn a year off his ELC.

No other team can do that.

So that's why the Ducks have a huge advantage, but of course he could decide that he'd rather go to a different spot.

Still think the Ducks will end up with him, but it's an interesting dilemma.

snarktacular 02-09-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 43890893)

Murray does have some leeway in terms of how much potential bonuses to give him. But you're right that he'll get the max guaranteed amount no matter what.

teemuselanne 02-09-2012 10:14 PM

No reason to think this would happen but if it did I would absolutely lose it. If the Gardiner trade wasn't bad enough this would put it over the top. Barstool better not sleep on this one.

Ducks DVM 02-09-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Schwartz (Post 43891107)
Well, Murray has a significant advantage because he can offer Schultz a spot on the team immediately which would earn the kid upwards of $200k with signing bonus (this season) and burn a year off his ELC.

No other team can do that.

So that's why the Ducks have a huge advantage, but of course he could decide that he'd rather go to a different spot.

Still think the Ducks will end up with him, but it's an interesting dilemma.

He turns 22 on June 6th. Prior to that, he has to get a 3 year ELC. After that, he only can sign a 2 year ELC. If I'm not mistaken, the Ducks only retain his rights for 30 days after he leaves school, correct? So the timing will all be based on when he leaves - if he drops out early then the Ducks burning that extra year will net him some cash but the same number of ELC years.

snarktacular 02-09-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 43892347)
He turns 22 on June 6th. Prior to that, he has to get a 3 year ELC. After that, he only can sign a 2 year ELC. If I'm not mistaken, the Ducks only retain his rights for 30 days after he leaves school, correct? So the timing will all be based on when he leaves - if he drops out early then the Ducks burning that extra year will net him some cash but the same number of ELC years.

ELC length is determined by his age on Sept 15 of the year he signs his ELC. So it doesn't matter if he signs today or after July 1, his ELC will be 2 years.

Ducks DVM 02-09-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snarktacular (Post 43892659)
ELC length is determined by his age on Sept 15 of the year he signs his ELC. So it doesn't matter if he signs today or after July 1, his ELC will be 2 years.

Ah, my bad, ty

snarktacular 02-09-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 43892723)
Ah, my bad, ty

No problem.

This does bring up an interesting "loophole." The players are drafted under one ELC max salary (875k in Schultz's case for 2008 draftees) but if he goes to UFA he can get the 925k that 2012 draftees are eligible for.

There's unfairness either way. If he were never drafted, then the 925k makes sense. OTH, it brings about weird situations like this where he'd be monetarily inclined to go to UFA for the extra 50k. So the Ducks would have to use up the ELC year on him.

Not sure what the solution is. You could limit unsigned guys becoming UFA to the ELC max of his original draft year. But maybe only for the first year (or even partial year)? Because otherwise as an UFA he should be allowed the current ELC max. But OTH the drafting team does have a slight advantage, as mentioned earlier, because they do have the option to use up a year and get him to his 2nd contract earlier.

mighty all the way 02-09-2012 11:05 PM

I will be so pissed if he signs with toronto. But i wouldn't be surprised.