HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Question on Rick Knickle (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1104151)

hbk 02-11-2012 12:26 PM

Question on Rick Knickle

Coyote fan coming in peace.

Given the uncertainty regarding our team there is a very good chance that UFA's will continue to avoid the Coyotes for the near future.

The future of the Coyotes franchise is going to be on Maloney and Director of Scouting Rick Knickle. Given Knickle's previous history with the Predators I was wondering if any Preds fans could shed some insight on some his finds, preferences (physical players/skilled players), etc.

Good luck to the Preds. Watching your team play the Bruins right now and first thought I had was "there's this year's Stanley Cup final".

gopreds19 02-11-2012 01:42 PM

At first I thought someone had butchered Scott Nichol's name...

I Will Son 02-11-2012 03:42 PM

Who is that?

hbk 02-11-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Will Son (Post 43971017)
Who is that?

Rick Knickle was a scout with the Nashville Predators.

TMI 02-11-2012 04:15 PM

I'll be honest... I don't know a lot about his scouting history. You might want to post the question in the Prospects thread and maybe the Admirals/Cyclones thread. Those are probably the posters who know the most about him.

FD 02-12-2012 05:24 PM

I remember him from my time working for the preds from 98-2003. I wish I could remember the players he scouted that the Preds drafted, but I cannot. I do remmebr he carried a lot of weight when player evaluations were done for draft prep. I know Poile valued him deeply, and would take his player recommendation over most when they were deadlocked. There was an early changing of the guards of Preds scout, Rick survived that...but I left the team and lost track of guys like this. I know this doesn't give you much, but what I remember...he was a valued player evaluator.

DontCallPlayersStuds 02-12-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FD (Post 44027573)
I remember him from my time working for the preds from 98-2003. I wish I could remember the players he scouted that the Preds drafted, but I cannot. I do remmebr he carried a lot of weight when player evaluations were done for draft prep. I know Poile valued him deeply, and would take his player recommendation over most when they were deadlocked. There was an early changing of the guards of Preds scout, Rick survived that...but I left the team and lost track of guys like this. I know this doesn't give you much, but what I remember...he was a valued player evaluator.

He was primarily tasked with western Canada. We were heavily into WHL picks during his time of influence: Hamhuis, Hartnell, Erat, Upshall, as well as a slew that didn't pan out. Most notably, he was the one that convinced Poile to go way off the board and take a dman that was rated in the late third in the mid second--Shea Weber.

Since he left, we've made only one selection from the WHL--Taylor Aronson from Portland. Most of our high picks have either been scandinavian(kekkalainen and Bergman) or northeastern/north central junior (OHL, qmjhl, NCAA) scouted by Kealty or even Fenton.

It's usually pretty clear who Poile's go-to scouts are, based on how many guys we take from that region.

PredsV82 02-13-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 44048519)
He was primarily tasked with western Canada. We were heavily into WHL picks during his time of influence: Hamhuis, Hartnell, Erat, Upshall, as well as a slew that didn't pan out. Most notably, he was the one that convinced Poile to go way off the board and take a dman that was rated in the late third in the mid second--Shea Weber.

Since he left, we've made only one selection from the WHL--Taylor Aronson from Portland. Most of our high picks have either been scandinavian(kekkalainen and Bergman) or northeastern/north central junior (OHL, qmjhl, NCAA) scouted by Kealty or even Fenton.

It's usually pretty clear who Poile's go-to scouts are, based on how many guys we take from that region.

this brings up an interesting thought... is Poile naturally drawn to defensemen(as it has seemed for years) or was it simply that his best scout was scouting the one junior league that seemd to put a premium on defense??

and now that he is relying on other scouts who primarily look at more offense oriented leagues are we going to see more forwards??

adsfan 02-13-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 43972883)
I'll be honest... I don't know a lot about his scouting history. You might want to post the question in the Prospects thread and maybe the Admirals/Cyclones thread. Those are probably the posters who know the most about him.

Believe it or not, the Preds scouts aren't interested in talking to me! He seemed like a good guy.

I remember Rick as the back-up goalie to Danny Lorenz on the Admirals. He also played for half of the IHL teams that I can remember, from Albany to San Diego. He was a very good goalie and had a long minor league career. Too bad that he only played 14 games for the LA Kings. Lorenz had 8 games with the NY Islanders. There are a lot of goalies like those two, not quite good enough for the NHL, but plenty fine everywhere else.