HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Laces, frequency, waxed/not waxed... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1104155)

RoninNYR 02-11-2012 12:32 PM

Laces, frequency, waxed/not waxed...

How frequently do you change your lavces?
Waxed or unwaxed?

I just noticed that I go through an abnormal amount of laces, playing 2x a week I need new laces every couple of months.

My skating was off for a month or so and I was so confused, got some fresh waxed, cut off circulation to my foot :yo: and my skating was back to 100%
Changed to some fresh waxed laces and back to my old self.

Kind of a PSA for anyone who feels their skating is off and might not know why...

7toZulu 02-11-2012 12:52 PM

I agree with the skating improvement when my feet are being strangled by my skates, but the discomfort and pain associated with my skates being too tight hinders my skating beyond the help it provides. I feel like my 2 month old waxed laces are still perfectly fine, even after playing 4 times a week in them. I will say that waxed laces are far superior to traditional laces IMO, i could never switch back:shakehead

bp spec 02-11-2012 01:21 PM

I use half waxed laces. My whole team does. I dont know anyone who use the regular laces.

I switch to new ones 3-4 times per season. Skates 6-10 times a week.

Muttley* 02-11-2012 01:33 PM

Yellow, waxed.

I can never using anything else. I'm extremely superstitious.

I can't explain when I decide to change them. They just have to have that distinct doesn't look right feel and touch to them I guess.

Frankie Spankie 02-11-2012 02:45 PM

I used to always use non waxed and I had the same problem, laces breaking every other month. I tried switching to wax and like the extra tightness from it. I've had my wax laces on my skates for probably 4 months now and still don't even see the beginning of a tear yet. Only going to go with wax for now on.

drivesrf 02-11-2012 03:51 PM

I'm using the same laces on the used skates I bought a year ago...oops, should I change them?? They feel fine to me

dwreckm 02-11-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivesrf (Post 43971647)
I'm using the same laces on the used skates I bought a year ago...oops, should I change them?? They feel fine to me

It's up to you. As long as they still feel good, no reason to change them out. I change my laces when I notice they don't seem to be holding anymore, which so far has been once, and I use waxed laces.

Ozz 02-11-2012 03:59 PM

Never used waxed laces and I need to replace the ones I've got. What benefits do they offer?

7toZulu 02-11-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 43972091)
Never used waxed laces and I need to replace the ones I've got. What benefits do they offer?

They just offer better grip through the eyelets when you are lacing your skates up. I hate how the traditional laces always slide back through a little after you pull them to desired tightness, as opposed to the grip that waxed laces have to keep them snug. I didnt think it'd be a big difference, but they just seem to feel "right".

TieClark 02-11-2012 04:48 PM

I get waxed, but I only change the laces when one of them is hanging on by a few threads. I don't feel the skates are any looser or tighter with new/old laces

Ozz 02-11-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmcarcagno (Post 43972839)
They just offer better grip through the eyelets when you are lacing your skates up. I hate how the traditional laces always slide back through a little after you pull them to desired tightness, as opposed to the grip that waxed laces have to keep them snug. I didnt think it'd be a big difference, but they just seem to feel "right".

Thanks. I think I'll try some when I finally pick up new laces. I feel the same way when I get that slip, and lately I've been retying my skates far too often.

beth 02-11-2012 05:19 PM

I use regular laces but I lace them into the top of the eyelets so that they lock down when they're tightened.

backhander 02-11-2012 07:16 PM

waxed work for me.

michaelshu 02-12-2012 09:19 AM

waxed laces is a genius imo

vapor11 02-25-2012 11:01 AM

Lifetime non-waxed but had to replace my laces and got my first pair of waxed laces and wow..they do everything they say they do..tying my skates has never been easier and have never been snugger..Definitely worth $5

Stickmata 02-25-2012 11:55 AM

Waxed. Usually last about 4 months.

Ozz 02-25-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 43974899)
Thanks. I think I'll try some when I finally pick up new laces. I feel the same way when I get that slip, and lately I've been retying my skates far too often.

Finally got some and will be skating on 'em this Tuesday.

The Tikkanen 02-25-2012 08:05 PM

Waxed, replace whenever they begin to wind up. Once that happens I'm more prone to lace bite so I replace them, I'd say about every 2 months, skate twice a week.

Jarick 02-27-2012 10:18 AM

Graf waxed and replace maybe once a season or if they get untied and run over. Yellow when I'm feeling flashy, white when I want to blend in. I'm using black now as they were out of yellow last time. It's a good look on Grafs but I'll probably go back to white soon. I notice other teams are keying in on me as I'm a "shooter" so maybe if I untuck the jersey, get white laces, and stop pulling up my sleeves they'll leave me alone :)