HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Will the Rangers have more than three 20 goal scorers? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1104391)

mike14 02-11-2012 04:09 PM

Will the Rangers have more than three 20 goal scorers?

Gabby's already there, Cally made it today and Richards is only 3 away.

Other than that, Stepan needs another 9, AA 11 and Hags 12.

Would there be a team that's won the East (assuming they can hold on to do it) with so few?

Is this proof that the Rangers need to trade for another scorer and will the lack of goal scorers come back to bite them in the playoffs?

Fitzy 02-11-2012 04:14 PM

It isn't proof of anything, as we are exponentially higher in the standings than in previous years when we had tons of them.

The 20 goal "mark" is just a nice mark for individual players. It means nothing in the broader scope. If you're looking at a better indicator look at the goals for minus shootout tack-ons and empty netters.

SwedishBullet62 02-11-2012 04:30 PM

were winning games, sure another goal scorer would be nice, but were winning games thats all that matters.

mike14 02-11-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 (Post 43973583)
were winning games, sure another goal scorer would be nice, but were winning games thats all that matters.

Agree completely, it's great. I'm actually a fan of the 'goal by committee' thing they've got going on, it makes them a very hard team to shut down.

I just find it interesting that it's likely there will only be 3 guys with 20+ goals on one of the top teams in the league

qwertyaas 02-11-2012 04:43 PM

Unless getting one through a trade, I doubt it.

OverTheCap 02-11-2012 04:46 PM

I'm not sure if it matters. The Rangers had five 20 goal scorers last season, yet this year's team is better overall.

Hockey Team 02-11-2012 04:55 PM

This is a defensive team.

Most teams who score less goals then us are out of the playoff picture.

Giacomin 02-11-2012 05:00 PM

I really like the chemistry of this team. A few days ago fans were panicking saying we didn,t have enough scoring and we just scored 9 goals in the last 2 games. This team seems like it knows what it takes to win!

JoeRangers 02-11-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike14 (Post 43972603)

Would there be a team that's won the East (assuming they can hold on to do it) with so few?

Is this proof that the Rangers need to trade for another scorer and will the lack of goal scorers come back to bite them in the playoffs?

Obviously it would be great to have another 20+ goal scorer in the lineup. Having said that we could look at the other side of it, at the current pace they will have given up fewer goals than any other team to come out of the east since the lockout

Mio41 02-11-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2d (Post 43974587)
This is a defensive team.

Most teams who score less goals then us are out of the playoff picture.

Built for a long playoff run, defense is king in the playoffs, so is having the best gaoltender in the league...

KingWantsCup 02-11-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy (Post 43972807)
It isn't proof of anything, as we are exponentially higher in the standings than in previous years when we had tons of them.

The 20 goal "mark" is just a nice mark for individual players. It means nothing in the broader scope. If you're looking at a better indicator look at the goals for minus shootout tack-ons and empty netters.

Exactly this. Well said.

Hockey Team 02-11-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mio41 (Post 43975001)
Built for a long playoff run, defense is king in the playoffs, so is having the best gaoltender in the league...

Yeah, I'm not overly worried about it.

It's not the # of goals you score, it's the ratio of goals for : goals against that's more important.

Does it matter if you win a game 8-7 or 2-1?

Some teams have more of the former type wins. We have more of the latter type wins.

Levitate 02-11-2012 05:07 PM

Could see Stepan doing it again if that line gets on a roll for the rest of the year, but winning games is more important

msv957 02-11-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 43974797)
I really like the chemistry of this team. A few days ago fans were panicking saying we didn,t have enough scoring and we just scored 9 goals in the last 2 games. This team seems like it knows what it takes to win!

good post.. Torts has this team believing and playing a real shut down defensive system. However, they can still score more than enough goals when needed. There is also a lot of depth on this team so if injuries do happen it can be overcome.

Mio41 02-11-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2d (Post 43975085)
Yeah, I'm not overly worried about it.

It's not the # of goals you score, it's the ratio of goals for : goals against that's more important.

Does it matter if you win a game 8-7 or 2-1?

Some teams have more of the former type wins. We have more of the latter type wins.

Also all these one goal games we keep playing are like practice for the playoffs

Mio41 02-11-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msv957 (Post 43975143)
good post.. Torts has this team believing and playing a real shut down defensive system. However, they can still score more than enough goals when needed. There is also a lot of depth on this team so if injuries do happen it can be overcome.

This was proved by all our injuries on d

Levitate 02-11-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msv957 (Post 43975143)

The thing is that most teams, even great offensive ones, go through stretches where goals are hard to come by. The Rangers have done a decent job producing for the most part, though they hit a rough patch in January.

They're not a fantastic offensive team but they get the job done. And if the PP gets going, they should be in good shape.

nyrmessier011 02-11-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

didn't look too far back and only looked at stanley cup champs, but the 98 wings and 03 devils only had three, and many others along the way only had four guys score 20.

JoeRangers 02-11-2012 06:04 PM

Heres a stat for you guys and obviously stats dont always tell the whole story but every team in the East with the exception of Boston is giving up .6 more goals a game than the Rangers. Another telling stat is they are 3rd in the NHL in goal differential. Obviously they could use more offense but their defense makes up for their shortcomings

Killem Dafoe 02-11-2012 07:00 PM

Steps def will, Hagelin maybe, i hope so but it's a stretch.

Thesensation19 02-11-2012 07:09 PM

Its an individual achievement, the Rangers have a team of players that know how to work together to put create the win. They do not base their game on offense but defense and hard work and the grind.

Inferno 02-11-2012 08:17 PM

imho, rangers need 1 more star caliber player.

whether thats acquired from outside, or one of their kids suddenly exploding, doesnt really matter. i think they need more than they currently hvae.

they arent far off though...very, very close to being a team id say SHOULD go all the way, rather than, CAN go all the way.

Calad 02-11-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 43987179)
imho, rangers need 1 more star caliber player.

whether thats acquired from outside, or one of their kids suddenly exploding, doesnt really matter. i think they need more than they currently hvae.

they arent far off though...very, very close to being a team id say SHOULD go all the way, rather than, CAN go all the way.

This locker room is rock solid. I wouldn't want to risk having another ego in the room.

darko 02-11-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Caps finished 1st last season and had only 3 20-goal scorers. Ovie (32), Semin (28) and Knuble (24).

Inferno 02-11-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calad (Post 43989119)
This locker room is rock solid. I wouldn't want to risk having another ego in the room.

its the fact that the room is indeed so solid that they can get someone who maybe does have questionable lockerroom status and make them one of them, rather than injecting someone like that into a lockerroom with clear sides...a-la the flyers last season.

Rangers are cohesive. that doesnt mean you should be scared to add talent.