HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Callahan comparable to Adam Graves? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1105097)

WhiskeyDeke 02-12-2012 12:50 PM

Callahan comparable to Adam Graves?

Pierre and Edddie Olcyk brought up a point today during the Caps game. Pierre asked if Callahan reminded Eddie ( I refuse to use his nickname ) of Adam Graves. Eddie responded "Well..from the outside I can see it."

He went on to elaborate a bit later ( I'm paraphrasing ) "You have a different perspective on these guys having been in the locker room with them. Adam Graves was really good with the other players.."

Is he insinuating Callahan is not as vocal, or did he simply mean that since he played with Graves...he thought he was the better leader? Either way, I felt it was a slight to Callahan simply because the Black Ace himself never played with him. Anyone else pick up on that?

Furthermore, do you feel the comparison is accurate?

WhipNash27 02-12-2012 12:56 PM

He was saying that he was actually in the locker room with Graves while he obviously hasn't been with Callahan so he can't accurately make a comparison.

WhiskeyDeke 02-12-2012 12:59 PM

He really coulda worded it differently then.

Anyway, on the ice..they are quite similar with a slight edge to Graves in sheer term of nastiness. Hard to overlook that 52 goal season as well. But Callahan's # this year may be right where Graves typically finished up. ( around 60 pts. ) Work ethic, humility, and leadership are all present in spades.

JoeRangers 02-12-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 44014803)
He was saying that he was actually in the locker room with Graves while he obviously hasn't been with Callahan so he can't accurately make a comparison.

Thats how I took it was well.

Mio41 02-12-2012 02:25 PM

Richie on Cally before game, we all see the desperation in the way he plays, the effort, the leadership, he inspires us all

JoeRangers 02-12-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mio41 (Post 44019689)
Richie on Cally before game, we all see the desperation in the way he plays, the effort, the leadership, he inspires us all

Yep thats why hes the Captain. Best Captain since Messier.

Mio41 02-12-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeRangers (Post 44020329)
Yep thats why hes the Captain. Best Captain since Messier.

Complete player just like Mess, and only 26 years old

Rangers Fail 02-12-2012 04:22 PM

Callagraves is a good username.

DM23BK30 02-12-2012 04:25 PM

I see similarities.

JoeRangers 02-12-2012 04:29 PM

Rangers need to find their Messier. Maybe duby can be Messier in the playoffs

I am obviously joking before people jump all over me

Callagraves 02-12-2012 04:53 PM

<<<<<Username

He's not the first person to say this

IBleedNYRBlue 02-12-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeRangers (Post 44025235)
Rangers need to find their Messier. Maybe duby can be Messier in the playoffs

I am obviously joking before people jump all over me

Richards.

But obviously to a much lesser extent. I feel he's going to come up huge in the playoffs.

Callagraves 02-12-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL605 (Post 44026375)
Richards.

But obviously to a much lesser extent. I feel he's going to come up huge in the playoffs.

Players to watch to turn it up in the playoffs:

Dubi
Feds
Richie
Artie (?)

and a nonscoring increase in playing for Pruster and Rupper. They're going to go nuts with the hitting and grinding.

pld459666 02-12-2012 05:02 PM

Graves was as good a player that Callahan is today (better goal scorer) and would hammer anyone that sneezed in Messier's direction.

Callahan doesn't possess that aspect of Graves Game, but they are similar in alot of aspects.

eco's bones 02-12-2012 05:15 PM

Both heart and soul players.

Graves was bigger and a better goal scorer. He could play with a nasty edge. As far as hitting goes they're about the same. Both hit hard and often. Graves fought a lot more and very well--a great middleweight in that respect he's more like Prust.

Callahan is faster and a better shot blocker and penalty killer. Not quite the goal scorer but if he can start putting in 30-35 like he might this season that puts him right in Graves ballpark.

IMO they're almost equal--maybe a slight edge to Graves--consider a Callahan who could fight like Prust all in one player.

The Amity Affliction 02-12-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 44027139)
Both heart and soul players.

Graves was bigger and a better goal scorer. He could play with a nasty edge. As far as hitting goes they're about the same. Both hit hard and often. Graves fought a lot more and very well--a great middleweight in that respect he's more like Prust.

Callahan is faster and a better shot blocker and penalty killer. Not quite the goal scorer but if he can start putting in 30-35 like he might this season that puts him right in Graves ballpark.

IMO they're almost equal--maybe a slight edge to Graves--consider a Callahan who could fight like Prust all in one player.

Graves had a MUCH better shot. That's one part of his game that ALWAYS went unnoticed, his shot. That's the reason why he scored so many goals. He blasted a lot of shots home, on top of taking the beating in front.

eco's bones 02-12-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldshot (Post 44028133)
Graves had a MUCH better shot. That's one part of his game that ALWAYS went unnoticed, his shot. That's the reason why he scored so many goals. He blasted a lot of shots home, on top of taking the beating in front.

I can go along with that. Adam also moved the puck around a little better--Callahan has improved in that area this season though--he's not always thinking shot first--he's making more plays.

WhipNash27 02-12-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeRangers (Post 44025235)
Rangers need to find their Messier

Messier was a once in a lifetime talent. His ability to put up points, lead, his toughness, and clutch ability were so rare. He was really a total package. I can't imagine it being all that easy to find another Messier.

Callagraves 02-12-2012 06:48 PM

We're also talking about Graves at his best here. Who can say if we've seen all Cally has to offer? He hasn't gone a season without improving so far.

JoeRangers 02-12-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 44032297)
Messier was a once in a lifetime talent. His ability to put up points, lead, his toughness, and clutch ability were so rare. He was really a total package. I can't imagine it being all that easy to find another Messier.

He had it all.

Crease 02-12-2012 07:11 PM

I can see the similarities. But Callahan has to go a long way to go before he's in the same ballpark as Graves.

JoeRangers 02-12-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 44034393)
I can see the similarities. But Callahan has to go a long way to go before he's in the same ballpark as Graves.

They are very similar. Cally is actually scoring at almost the exact same rate as Graves (goal wise and point wise). I dont ever see Cally scoring 52 but he could be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer if he stays healthy. I hope he can stay healthy longer than Graves but with the type of game he plays I will be happy if hes around until hes 35.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-12-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Wolf (Post 44014365)
Pierre and Edddie Olcyk brought up a point today during the Caps game. Pierre asked if Callahan reminded Eddie ( I refuse to use his nickname ) of Adam Graves. Eddie responded "Well..from the outside I can see it."

He went on to elaborate a bit later ( I'm paraphrasing ) "You have a different perspective on these guys having been in the locker room with them. Adam Graves was really good with the other players.."

Is he insinuating Callahan is not as vocal, or did he simply mean that since he played with Graves...he thought he was the better leader? Either way, I felt it was a slight to Callahan simply because the Black Ace himself never played with him. Anyone else pick up on that?

Furthermore, do you feel the comparison is accurate?

I think Eddie is speaking more to the fact that he's not in the Ranger locker room on a day to day basis or even involved with the Rangers save a few national games. Basically, I think he sees similairities on the outside but can't speak to what goes on inside.

True Blue 02-12-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 44035805)
I think Eddie is speaking more to the fact that he's not in the Ranger locker room on a day to day basis or even involved with the Rangers save a few national games. Basically, I think he sees similairities on the outside but can't speak to what goes on inside.

I agree. People forget just how tough Gravey was. I do not recall seeing him loose a fight. And until his back was acting up, he was a prototypical power forward. He was the bodyguard to Mess. And everyone knew it. I like Callahan But I am not sure that he will ever be the power forward that Graves was. Which does not mean that he does not do things to stand out in his own right.

Callagraves 02-12-2012 09:32 PM

<<<<<<<

SERIOUSLY FOLKS. THE USERNAME.

Called it forever ago.