HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   TSN: Comries retirement and Kelser (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1106021)

petrishriekandgo 02-13-2012 04:07 PM

Comries retirement and Kelser

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387700

Quote:

The statement added that Comrie was no longer able to "manage the rigours of NHL play."

A two-time 30-goal scorer, Comrie's hip issues limited him to just 127 games over the last three seasons.
So, three hip surgeries in 10 years, the last 3 seasons being severely limited.

So what do we think... are we glimpsing at Ryan Keslers future?

Here's hoping not BUT I'd be pretty concerned if I was Gillis. I've said this before... for a guy who's game is predicated on speed and power hip issues are a major red flag.

BLAME CANADA* 02-13-2012 04:11 PM

Trade him NOW

tantalum 02-13-2012 04:12 PM

Interesting that these hip issues really started causing him problems after he met Hillary Duff....

Seriously, the guy is set for life with his inheritance, money he's made as a player, money his wife has and there is no point to him ruining the remaining 5 decades of his life. He probably should have packed it in sooner.

And yes it is an area of concern I think of when it comes to Kesler. Kesler's style of play lends itself to a "short" career. Then again, he could be more of a finesse player and get concussed all the time.

metric 02-13-2012 04:12 PM

I'm not too concerned, yet.

KDizzle 02-13-2012 04:21 PM

He looked kind of chubby during the offseasons, meaning that he wasn't a gym fiend like Kesler. Lets just say I don't think we'd have seen Comrie leaning against a rock, buck naked (please don't photoshop this :laugh:).

I think the key to longevity in the NHL is a combination of good habits, adaptation, and luck.

Horse 02-13-2012 04:28 PM

I don't think with his style of play that Kesler is going to be one of those guys who lasts until he's 40. I don't think it's a big deal though, just don't sign him to a lifetime contract.

petrishriekandgo 02-13-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDizzle (Post 44073553)
He looked kind of chubby during the offseasons, meaning that he wasn't a gym fiend like Kesler. Lets just say I don't think we'd have seen Comrie leaning against a rock, buck naked (please don't photoshop this :laugh:).

Don't have to, here he is in his new role as hollywood extra:

http://chopur.com/wp-content/uploads...01/tronGuy.png

JuniorNelson 02-13-2012 05:04 PM

Comrie didn't wear out his hips in hockey. Look at his wife. He probably doesn't even own a TV or computer. He probably forgot he played hockey.

MC: The Oil called.
HD: Somebody has to go buy food!
MC: No, the Edmonton Oilers.
HD: Oh. I guess you'll just ignore me from now on, then? (jiggles)
MC: C'mere.

galiano 02-13-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuniorNelson (Post 44075459)
Comrie didn't wear out his hips in hockey. Look at his wife. He probably doesn't even own a TV or computer. He probably forgot he played hockey.

MC: The Oil called.
HD: Somebody has to go buy food!
MC: No, the Edmonton Oilers.
HD: Oh. I guess you'll just ignore me from now on, then? (jiggles)
MC: C'mere.

Plus his father owns the Brick which makes him a very, very rich dude. Who needs hockey ?

aandbreatheme 02-13-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galiano (Post 44075801)
Plus his father owns the Brick which makes him a very, very rich dude. Who needs hockey ?

Yeah, let's leave it to the guys who actually want to win.

Moore Money 02-13-2012 05:23 PM

I would say it's a bigger concern for Mike Fisher.

thenextone 02-13-2012 06:05 PM

The fact that Comrie ballooned up after not playing for a season kinda makes me think he's not even 10% the fitness freak Kesler is. The guy probably didn't rehab as effectively as Ryan Kesler did.

xtr3m 02-13-2012 06:33 PM

Kesler is a beast, though.

RewBicks 02-13-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDizzle (Post 44073553)

This is correct. If Comrie had Kesler's commitment to fitness and improvement, he'd be a perennial 35 goal scorer.

Wetcoaster 02-13-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenextone (Post 44077785)
The fact that Comrie ballooned up after not playing for a season kinda makes me think he's not even 10% the fitness freak Kesler is. The guy probably didn't rehab as effectively as Ryan Kesler did.

Comrie subscribes to the Keith Tkachuk school of off-season conditioning.

Lard_Lad 02-13-2012 06:43 PM

Average age of former Selke winners in their final NHL season: 36-37 (add a year if you just use the ones from the last 20 years.) I think we're OK for a while.

Nuck This 02-13-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo (Post 44072855)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387700

So, three hip surgeries in 10 years, the last 3 seasons being severely limited.

So what do we think... are we glimpsing at Ryan Keslers future?

Here's hoping not BUT I'd be pretty concerned if I was Gillis. I've said this before... for a guy who's game is predicated on speed and power hip issues are a major red flag.

He's not retiring because of hip probelms he's retiring because he's filthy rich and never really even had a passion for hockey. Even when he was first in the league there were character issues. Obviously the hip problems were a contributing factor but I have to really question his work ehtic during the rehabs. He was probably to busy spending money.

Finnish Your Czechs 02-13-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster (Post 44079185)

Pork ribs and strawberry Kwik?

wavaxa2 02-13-2012 07:51 PM

He's earned the right to sit on his duff.

thenextone 02-13-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RewBicks (Post 44079089)
This is correct. If Comrie had Kesler's commitment to fitness and improvement, he'd be a perennial 35 goal scorer.

Comrie had pretty high hockey IQ and slick hands...the guy could have been a 40 goal scorer for a while or at the least a clutch producer like Danny Briere. This guy really had it all but he was heartless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster (Post 44079185)

:laugh:

eklunds source 02-13-2012 07:57 PM

For every player like Comrie who has a couple surgeries and can't recover, there are players like Hemsky and Selanne who have multiple surgeries and a ton of rehab to go through, but finish it and become successful players again.

keslerburrows 02-13-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklunds source (Post 44082685)
For every player like Comrie who has a couple surgeries and can't recover, there are players like Hemsky and Selanne who have multiple surgeries and a ton of rehab to go through, but finish it and become successful players again.

Hemsky? And I'm not concerned at all.

LolClarkson* 02-13-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tantalum (Post 44073147)
Interesting that these hip issues really started causing him problems after he met Hillary Duff....

Seriously, the guy is set for life with his inheritance, money he's made as a player, money his wife has and there is no point to him ruining the remaining 5 decades of his life. He probably should have packed it in sooner.

And yes it is an area of concern I think of when it comes to Kesler. Kesler's style of play lends itself to a "short" career. Then again, he could be more of a finesse player and get concussed all the time.

he won the lottery 3 times over. His dad owns the Brick or something, he's gold digging Duff and he got into the NHL. Spread the good fortune around a little ****k

wholesickcrew 02-13-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lard_Lad (Post 44079277)
Average age of former Selke winners in their final NHL season: 36-37 (add a year if you just use the ones from the last 20 years.) I think we're OK for a while.

There's an odd connection to make...

TacitEndorsement 02-13-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tantalum (Post 44073147)

I agree. I think his vast wealth played a pretty large role in this decision.