HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: What if the New CBA allows an Amnesty? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1106101)

Sawdalite 02-13-2012 05:08 PM

What if the New CBA allows an Amnesty?

If the next CBA follows the NBA and allows one Amnesty per NHL club to be used over a set period do you believe the Flyers shuld use it next season, and if so, who should it be?... Let's assume for this poll that it means that the team pays the plyer the full remaining contract and No Move/Trade Clauses d not come into play... and the team is freed from the complete Cap hit.

To me the two obvious choices would be:

Pronger... to free up the ability to bank Cap lost with his being on LTIR and eliminate the possibility that the NHL does not allow his being placed on LTIR due to his not being able to ever return (if that is deemed the case). He is an over 35 player and his Cap, $4.9M over the next five seasons, is the responsibility of the Flyers no matter what happens.

Bryzgalov who has a Cap hit of $5.667M over the next eight seasons... If he continues to play as he has, the Flyers will be hurting for a long time with his NMC and their being unable to find another team willing to trade for him.

There may be another choice and if so, please post him... and of course there is always the option of holding onto the Amnesty and using it in a later season.

... I suppose this would be a good place also to discuss if the NHL will adopt the Amnesty option... and if they should or should not do so.

Beef Invictus 02-13-2012 05:11 PM

Hmm. I wonder if any other team fantasizes about an amnesty clause as much as the Flyers fanbase?

Prongo 02-13-2012 05:12 PM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...475&highlight=

I got some answers here about the same question. It's not a tough call I don't think anymore. It has to be Pronger. If he isn't playing that contract hurts us more than Bryz big time

Jtown 02-13-2012 05:13 PM

That is a tough one.

In all honesty, Bryz hasnt been given a fair shot. I think we can all come to the realization that our defense is pretty horrible and we havent been able to judge Bryz properly.

That being said. 9 years of this guy? That is quite a bit. Id lean towards him to be honest.

Kaktus* 02-13-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 (Post 44078039)

I got some answers here about the same question. It's not a tough call I don't think anymore. It has to be Pronger. If he isn't playing that contract hurts us more than Bryz big time

LTIR does not hurt us.

Goalie that can not stop the puck while making 5.6M a year is a major problem

hckyplayer8 02-13-2012 05:16 PM

lol

Need I say it? :sarcasm:

achdumeingute 02-13-2012 05:17 PM

IMO Bryz. He has all the leverage..the NMC is the killer. 8 more years. (and I think bryz is a fine goalie)

Prongers on LTIR, so his contract is just an offseason hit against our 10% cap overage.

Sawdalite 02-13-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 (Post 44078039)

I'm sorry for missing that thread... but at least this can track what people think through the poll.

It is not as easy as it seems since Pronger may be able to stay on LTIR and, if Bryz cannot play up to his Number One status he will drain the Cap...possibly being an expensive back up with no chance of being able to be moved. Also he could possibly be disruptive in the process.

dawkins121 02-13-2012 05:27 PM

Darkhorse candidate might be Briere. Pronger we can always LTIR and hope for the best and if we amnesty Bryzgalov I just know he'll go to a small market/defense oriented team and put up great numbers and make the Flyers look like idiots for not giving him enough time. Giving Briere the axe would free up the biggest chunk of cap space of all and personally I don't think he has much more high quality hockey in him. Plus with all the young forwards we have the last thing we need is dead cap space up front.

But considering what he's done in the playoffs and what he means to the team at this point it would be a pretty cold move to do that to him (though after the Richards/Carter stuff it probably wouldn't surprise me). Definitely a distant 3rd behind Pronger and Bryz but an interesting possibility.

Sawdalite 02-13-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroglycerin (Post 44078129)
LTIR does not hurt us.

Goalie that can not stop the puck while making 5.6M a year is a major problem

LTIR takes away the ability to bank Cap and could come into play at the Trade Deadline... Homer was not happy having to work around Rathje when he was on LTIR... and it is possible the NHL could force Pronger to retire if there is no chance of his returning for so many years, causing dead Cap space since he is a 35+ contract player.

The choice is not so clear cut, IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers 02-13-2012 05:30 PM

Gotta be Shelley!

Beef Invictus 02-13-2012 05:31 PM

Depending on how the Amnesty works (If this great, golden dream ever even happens)...perhaps we could buy out Pronger, use the amnesty on his buyout, and then keep him in the wings. If he gets better, sign him for 1 year contracts.

Bryz though...yuck. 8 more years of that contract with a NMC is insanity. A goalie with a high cap hit who performs badly can be much more of a detriment than an underperforming forward, who can usually at least contribute in some way. If Briere's offense drops off the map though, he suddenly becomes just as detrimental.

This isn't an easy choice.

PJStock* 02-13-2012 05:34 PM

So say you use the amnesty on Bryzgalov's contract... then what? Considering Bobrovsky is not ready to be a starter yet, who do they acquire as their #1, or 1a? Recall MFL?

Do you go after Miller? Schneider? Someone else?

Amateur Hour 02-13-2012 05:34 PM

Correct the Bryzgalov mistake... and, for the love of all things holy, no more of these ridiculous contracts that span nearly a decade (or more). Cap flexibility is so ****ing key, and 99% of the time these kinds of deals become crippling anchors IMMEDIATELY -- the problem is only exacerbated if the player doesn't live up to expectations (especially when they have the dreaded NTC/NMC). Contracts like the one given out to Bryz should be reserved only for the elite of the elite at the position (i.e. Lundqvist).

Beef Invictus 02-13-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJStock (Post 44078939)
So say you use the amnesty on Bryzgalov's contract... then what? Considering Bobrovsky is not ready to be a starter yet, who do they acquire as their #1, or 1a? Recall MFL?

Do you go after Miller? Schneider? Someone else?

Sign Bryz for a new, reasonable contract?

Prongo 02-13-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 44078989)
Sign Bryz for a new, reasonable contract?

Last time there was an amnesty clause you could not resign the player you bought out for the next year I believe.

Beef Invictus 02-13-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 (Post 44079025)
Last time there was an amnesty clause you could not resign the player you bought out for the next year I believe.

Damn.

MsWoof 02-13-2012 05:42 PM

Can you imagine if it was Bryz? He gets paid $51 million for what turns out to be one season? Holy crap, that's like winning powerball. I don't know what they would do but I bet they also wouldn't learn from it.

orangecrush8 02-13-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 44078791)
Gotta be Shelley!

I really hope this is sarcasm. There is no sense in buying a guy out when we can simply waive him or wait until the end of next year for his contract to expire

GKJ 02-13-2012 05:48 PM

If they don't have to use it right away, then don't use it right away.

Hollywood Couturier 02-13-2012 05:56 PM

I don't think they use it. Pronger doesn't hurt them that much outside of the offseason since he's on the LTIR and you don't just pay Bryz $51M for one year. If they adopt the Amnesty clause like they did before they will most likely adopt it after the next CBA. If Bryz is still bad at that point that is where you use it.

FlyersFan61290 02-13-2012 05:56 PM

Briere, but I have an irrational hatred of him. Though in my defense I always have so at least I'm consistent

sobrien 02-13-2012 06:00 PM

We should erase this pipedream from our minds before we're all extremely disappointed.

Jtown 02-13-2012 06:03 PM

Wait , amnesty bryz. Then sign him for league minimum.

KimiFerrari 02-13-2012 06:06 PM

I'd wait it out another season to see if Bryz can step-up. If not, then say bye bye.