HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   In Search of General Stars Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1106761)

piqued 02-14-2012 02:42 PM

In Search of General Stars Talk

General Stars Talk
More General Stars Talk

Continue.

piqued 02-14-2012 02:50 PM

My summary of the interview with Joe:
  • In Frisco right now, not on the road with the team
  • He's disappointed in the team's lack of urgency and poor starts to games on home ice
  • There will be no short term sacrifices for a playoff birth
  • The core is Benn/Loui/Goligoski/Kari
  • Bob brings up my point, that this is not a young team - Joe responds that their best players are young
  • Gaglardi is a more hands-on owner, has opinions that weigh heavily, says they're on the same page though
  • Not going to spend money just to spend it with the new CBA coming up
  • NTCs make things more difficult/delicate - a lot of teams around the league have to deal with them - He has not talked with Morrow about waiving his NTC or had discussion with other teams about trading Morrow

glovesave_35 02-14-2012 02:56 PM

Question:

Have NTC's become ubiquitous to the point where any player of a certain level of stature or tenure in the league almost has to have one? How many top end players or veterans who either sign extensions with their hometown team or sign major free agent contracts don't have one?

I'm sure there are some but not many. So basically a NTC of any sort is insurance that a veteran player will have some control over their career path, not that it actually means they can't or won't be traded.

piqued 02-14-2012 02:58 PM

Joe seemed to talk about them almost like they were a structural problem with the CBA that needed to be addressed.

Now you know he's been on 'the other side of the fence' too long. :laugh:

Bennrocks 02-14-2012 03:00 PM

GM's are handing them out like candy which makes it alot less likely for these exciting trades to go down during the middle of seasons

glovesave_35 02-14-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennrocks (Post 44125617)
GM's are handing them out like candy which makes it alot less likely for these exciting trades to go down during the middle of seasons

See, I disagree. I don't see a difference between a late season trade and an offseason trade. I know there's the family aspect of things but daddy makes bank and daddy wants to win so daddy's going to say yes more times than not... if they don't send him to Miami or Columbus.

My point before is basically that since they are being handed out like candy each one is less unique. I think it's just something put into contracts of players of a certain stature because other players whom they consider their peers also have them. You don't want to be the only guy in the limo without one, right? It's a status thing that more often than not is ultimately waived if asked, depending of course on the destination.

Hull Fan 02-14-2012 03:19 PM

He's the one that gave them out so he's really not in a position to be able to ***** about them.

I think he's almost hoping for a miracle but beginning to really see the hand writing on the wall regarding this club. He's probably not going to do anything with Morrow till the last minute and until his hand is forced. It's probably hard to see a guy you believe in no longer be the player you want him to be. Cutting ties with Morrow is turning a page and I don't think Niewendyk wants to do that just yet.

These games to the All-Star break are vital. IMO for the future Dallas has to lose, trade away the detritus, of which there is a ton on this roster, get younger and build toward next season and beyond. Niewendyk is trying to hang onto his job and is probably in at least a slightly tenuous situation with Gagilardi so we'll see.

Staying pat cannot be an option. Buying seems like adding another person into the boat with holes so they can bail better. Problem is that there are still holes and one more player or one different player(s) isn't going to miraculously fix the boat.

glovesave_35 02-14-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 44126887)
Buying seems like adding another person into the boat with holes so they can bail better.

:laugh:

Bennrocks 02-14-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 44126887)
Staying pat cannot be an option. Buying seems like adding another person into the boat with holes so they can bail better. Problem is the there are still holes and one more player or one different player(s) isn't going to miraculously fix the boat.

The first thing he said is that he wasnt going to sell the future for the present so i put our chance at buying(aka picks+prospects for nhl players) at 0%

Dallasman 02-14-2012 03:37 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if Mike Riberio was traded at the deadline. If that goes with what Joe said, he'd be expendable and I'm sure a team would be interested in him.

Hull Fan 02-14-2012 04:44 PM

I think mostly likely to go is Grossman. He doesn't have a contract. Fistric is playing better than him and trading him off doesn't really set back the team. That's the only deal I see happening. The rest is my hope but I'm prepared to be let down once again by this club failing to see the forest for the trees.

Amazing Larry 02-14-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallasman (Post 44128213)
I wouldn't be shocked if Mike Riberio was traded at the deadline. If that goes with what Joe said, he'd be expendable and I'm sure a team would be interested in him.

He is only 31, and doesn't play a super physical game.
I'm sure if the Stars were in contention in a few years he would very much still be a part of that.
I think you only trade Ribeiro if you go full rebuild.
Nowhere near enough center depth otherwise.
Morrow before Ribs for me.

glovesave_35 02-14-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 44133067)
That's the only deal I see happening.

To me, Grossman is as good as gone. There isn't one semi-convincing argument that could be made for keeping him. No contract, decline in play, being pushed out from within. So yeah, he HAS to go. If that's the only deal that's made though I will be both surprised and really unhappy.

I'm totally on your side of things now btw. :) The offseason debates were fun but this team made you right. :cry:

Bennrocks 02-14-2012 05:52 PM

I want a russian on our team for funny broken english between period interviews... that is all

Hull Fan 02-14-2012 05:59 PM

So we can start talking avatars now huh? The devil on my shoulder says rub salt in the wounds but that means I take joy in the fact that my team sucks, which is not pleasant. I've found myself rooting for players rather than the squad as a whole. It's the only thing that makes this season bearable.

Best thing that could happen besides them losing and selling assets is for Vincour and Larsen to solidify themselves as top four/top six players respectively. Individual milestones and point accumulations are a hollow victory though.

Bennrocks 02-14-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 44137285)
So we can start talking avatars now huh? The devil on my shoulder says rub salt in the wounds but that means I take joy in the fact that my team sucks, which is not pleasant. I've found myself rooting for players rather than the squad as a whole. It's the only thing that makes this season bearable.

Best thing that could happen besides them losing and selling assets is for Vincour and Larsen to solidify themselves as top four/top six players respectively. Individual milestones and point accumulations are a hollow victory though.

Yeah this is how ive been approaching games lately, just want benn/loui/goose/lars/vinny to score

glovesave_35 02-14-2012 06:17 PM

What was our bet exactly? I don't recall. But yeah, consider the dialogue open.

Modo 02-14-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennrocks (Post 44136835)
I want a russian on our team for funny broken english between period interviews... that is all

One who also takes smoke breaks during intermissions?

I miss Zubie. :laugh:

Bennrocks 02-14-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 44162907)
One who also takes smoke breaks during intermissions?

I miss Zubie. :laugh:

preferably no smoking, a Lidstrom esque cyborg russian

piqued 02-14-2012 10:13 PM

When are Zubov's kids draft eligible?

MetalGodAOD 02-15-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Yeah this is how ive been approaching games lately, just want benn/loui/goose/lars/vinny to score
Absolutely feel the same. I go into games just wanting those players to keep developing and have career years. I want to see Loui score 30 again, though looks like that might not happen unless this team turns into a powerhouse again within the next few years.

Hull Fan 02-15-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glovesave_35 (Post 44138511)
What was our bet exactly? I don't recall. But yeah, consider the dialogue open.

I can't find the thread right now but I believe the general idea was an avatar bet basically saying either I was right or BigG44 was right with either a tank motif showing how crappy the team is or a playoff one proclaiming their status far beyond what I believed.

Do you have any clue which thread we talked about this in? I did a search of my posts but...all I know for sure is that the bets were made before 8/19/11 as I posted on another thread I couldn't make any more avatar bets with other posters as I already had obligations.

English stars fan 02-15-2012 04:10 AM

Despite it all being doom and gloom, I'll be honest and admit the season has gone better than I thought it would September last year:

Four positives from this season:

1. The individual play of the core group of young players. Benn breaking out and being a beastly PPG #1C; the quietly excellent play of Loui Eriksson; Alex Goligoski starting to turn it on and show us what he can do; Philip Larsen and Tomas Vincour breaking into the team and hopefully solidifying their roles down the stretch; Kari Lehtonen being immense.

2. We actually have a prospect pool of note. Help may be a year/two away but the situation is so much better than 2/3 years ago.

3. We have an owner who has monies and is willing to spend them sensibly in free agency :handclap:

4. The worse we do down the stretch the more likely we are to see Yakupov-Benn-Eriksson next season! :naughty:

LatvianTwist 02-15-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by English stars fan (Post 44172717)
Despite it all being doom and gloom, I'll be honest and admit the season has gone better than I thought it would September last year:

Four positives from this season:

1. The individual play of the core group of young players. Benn breaking out and being a beastly PPG #1C; the quietly excellent play of Loui Eriksson; Alex Goligoski starting to turn it on and show us what he can do; Philip Larsen and Tomas Vincour breaking into the team and hopefully solidifying their roles down the stretch; Kari Lehtonen being immense.

2. We actually have a prospect pool of note. Help may be a year/two away but the situation is so much better than 2/3 years ago.

3. We have an owner who has monies and is willing to spend them sensibly in free agency :handclap:

4. The worse we do down the stretch the more likely we are to see Yakupov-Benn-Eriksson next season! :naughty:

:laugh:

If only the on I've product was better.

glovesave_35 02-15-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 44169971)
I can't find the thread right now but I believe the general idea was an avatar bet basically saying either I was right or BigG44 was right with either a tank motif showing how crappy the team is or a playoff one proclaiming their status far beyond what I believed.

Do you have any clue which thread we talked about this in? I did a search of my posts but...all I know for sure is that the bets were made before 8/9/11 as I posted on another thread I couldn't make any more avatar bets with other posters as I already had obligations.

Well you've got me head hung, cuffed, and being led to the patrol car. You win. A deal is a deal. Whatever you come up with I'm game for.