HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Blues Notes: 0-4-1 After 4-Game Winning Streaks - Analyzed (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1107209)

Bruv 02-14-2012 09:25 PM

Blues Notes: 0-4-1 After 4-Game Winning Streaks - Analyzed

*Scoring at the 5th game is averaged at 1.4

*Goals allowed is averaged at 2.6

*Powerplay has gone 2 for 15 during the stretch

*Penalty kill has stopped 4 out of 16 opponent chances

*4 out of the 5 games have been on the road

Thoughts?

Go Blues

bleedblue1223 02-14-2012 09:31 PM

Wow, our pk is only 25% in those game? Special teams is what is going to kill this team.

PocketNines 02-14-2012 09:31 PM

Don't think it means anything, actually. Other factors are far more important. You imply causation because it's the fifth game they're trying to win in a row then they perform less well. They've only lost three in a row once this season. They perform at very close points percentage rate against all quality of opponents. That suggests they have lots of mental resilience which is the only thing you could be suggesting by saying there's some flaw with their play in a fifth game.

Bruv 02-14-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketNines (Post 44159549)
Don't think it means anything, actually. Other factors are far more important. You imply causation because it's the fifth game they're trying to win in a row then they perform less well. They've only lost three in a row once this season. They perform at very close points percentage rate against all quality of opponents. That suggests they have lots of mental resilience which is the only thing you could be suggesting by saying there's some flaw with their play in a fifth game.

I just thought it was interesting that they could never get that 5th win...

Bruv 02-14-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 44159525)
Wow, our pk is only 25% in those game? Special teams is what is going to kill this team.

The PP is what has been bad.

PocketNines 02-14-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuDi (Post 44159947)
I just thought it was interesting that they could never get that 5th win...

Yeah but it's more of a thing you look at and go, "Huh." You're trying to aggregate stats to imply a conclusion. I don't think Chris Stewart fails to tap one in because of the fifth game. As flat as they were they got all the bad breaks Stewart's failure on a gimme, the 0.1 second goal, the end of the game scrum could have been poked in, there was a shot near the end of the game that fluttered by the top corner with agonizing slowness. They didn't deserve those bounces, Columbus did. Mainly they didn't skate hard enough to earn penalties and a 4-1 PP edge was the difference.

As for the others (all shootout/OT losses) they dominated the game in Colorado, they dominated that Nashville game (40-20 shot advantage), and they dominated every period of the Vancouver OT loss, so it's difficult to make an analysis that points any finger at the Blues there. Those were all three aberrant results for the play they put in. This was not.

PocketNines 02-14-2012 10:07 PM

Forgot the last game at Detroit which I call "playing in Detroit."

0-2-3 is tha actual record.

The four power play goals allowed on 16 chances were the two in Detroit, the 4-on-2 in OT against Vancouver and the one scored tonight with 0.1 on the clock. The Vancouver and Columbus ones were kind of fluky situations.

Crumblin Erb Brooks 02-15-2012 11:31 AM

Law of averages, last nights game was a perfect example of how a few unlucky bounces can be the difference in a game.

britishblue 02-15-2012 01:48 PM

lucky you only need to win 4 games to take a playoff series then isn't it :P

Have 02-15-2012 03:57 PM

I'd say this means that the Blues are gonna lose the first game of the second round in the playoffs :(

CarvinSigX 02-15-2012 05:33 PM

No...Because they won't sweep the first team. 4 straight wins is not guaranteed this season. A loss after them is currently lol.

Bruv 02-15-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britishblue (Post 44190731)
lucky you only need to win 4 games to take a playoff series then isn't it :P

Hahah, that's what I was thinking :handclap: