HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Jiri Crha - Worst Goalie Ever? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1107377)

RedWingsNow* 02-15-2012 12:34 AM

Jiri Crha - Worst Goalie Ever?
 
http://patch.com/A-qMWv
Was Jiri Chra the worst goalie ever?
Quote:

I remember watching the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada and thinking your goalie Jiri Crha was the worst goalie in the world. Recently, I read that he was the best European goalie in the world next to Tretiak. Which is closer to the truth?

DAVID SHAND: Jiri Crha was the worst goaltender on the planet. We played St. Louis one night when Red Berenson was coaching the Blues and Mike Liut was his net minder. We had Jiri. Shots on net in the first period were 25 to 1 for us and and the score was 1 to 0 St. Louis. We had 50 shots. They had 12. We lost 4 to 1. Nuff said.

FishManSam 02-15-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 44170067)
http://patch.com/A-qMWv
Was Jiri Chra the worst goalie ever?

That guy sounds like a ****ing *******, calling a former teammate the worst goalie in the world? And he hated Toronto, what a ****ing dick.

TonsofPuppies* 02-15-2012 12:39 AM

Jonas Gustavsson is the worst goalie in the world. :sarcasm:

Aplayaz2000 02-15-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy (Post 44170147)
Jonas Gustavsson is the worst goalie in the world. :sarcasm:

why because he lost that game

oooo never knew good goalies can't lose

TonsofPuppies* 02-15-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 (Post 44170451)
why because he lost that game

oooo never knew good goalies can't lose

I was being sarcastic, genius. :laugh:

On a serious note though, Gustavsson is not an NHL calibre goalie. Adequate AHL starter maybe.

keonsbitterness 02-15-2012 01:02 AM

Shand is a moron. Jiri Crha was hardly great but he had the best stats by far among the five goalies who played for the Leafs the only season Shand and Crha played together (80-81).

LeafOfBread 02-15-2012 01:08 AM

Yeah Shand sounds like a tool. Only played 48 games with the Leafs anyway

Tak7 02-15-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy (Post 44170523)
I was being sarcastic, genius. :laugh:

On a serious note though, Gustavsson is not an NHL calibre goalie. Adequate AHL starter maybe.

Save this post and we can revisit it next year.

What he's done this season, in the very least, has shown that he can play well for decent stretches (and as a result, could become a very serviceable backup goalie - say to Vancouver, if they flip Schneider at the deadline for a team need etc).

He has a job in the NHL lined up after the summer, and he's earned that.

Starting job - yeah, not so much

HockeyNightInBelfast 02-15-2012 05:14 AM

what a mean-hearted post ffs :shakehead

StarBurns RIP 02-15-2012 06:24 AM

Dave Shand who was hardly much of an NHL defenseman may be forgetting the night in Minnesota when Crha faced about 70 shots against. Crha was totally unconventional compared to a North America goaltender playing ridiculously deep in the net. Crha wasn't even the worst goalie during that period in Leafs' history. Paul Harrison and Vincent Tremblay were far worst. There was a parade of failures in goal after Crha throughout the 1980's, none of whom did better.

The Iceman 02-15-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBurns (Post 44173535)
Dave Shand who was hardly much of an NHL defenseman may be forgetting the night in Minnesota when Crha faced about 70 shots against. Crha was totally unconventional compared to a North America goaltender playing ridiculously deep in the net. Crha wasn't even the worst goalie during that period in Leafs' history. Paul Harrison and Vincent Tremblay were far worst. There was a parade of failures in goal after Crha throughout the 1980's, none of whom did better.

Yes but Minnesota's shot clock operater was known to be VERY one sided in his assessments of shots on goal.

Crha was OK.
He was the #1 goalie for the LEafs for a time which means his back-up might be the worst goalie of all time.

Check out Don Cherry's goalie Hardy Astrom for WORST goalie ever.
http://goaltendinglegends.blogspot.c...dy-astrom.html

BleedsBlueAndWhite 02-15-2012 09:22 AM

Crha wasn't that bad, but had one of my favorite Leaf goalie masks (hence avatar ;)) But what Shand did was pretty low class. He was no superstar himself.

cynicism 02-15-2012 04:13 PM

It's hard to be a good goalie when you're team stinks worse than a toxic waste dump

gustavsson50 02-15-2012 04:18 PM

Toskala the worst ever leaf goalie

beauchamp 02-15-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 44170067)
http://patch.com/A-qMWv
Was Jiri Chra the worst goalie ever?

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonsbitterness (Post 44170715)
Shand is a moron. Jiri Crha was hardly great but he had the best stats by far among the five goalies who played for the Leafs the only season Shand and Crha played together (80-81).

And the Leafs didn't lose 4-1 to the Blues that year...

Shand should get his facts straight before going for a cheap laugh.

nutbar 02-15-2012 04:25 PM

Crha had a winning record with a crap team, how bad could he have been?

Bigfinn* 02-15-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gustavsson50 (Post 44198681)
Toskala the worst ever leaf goalie

why because he had no team infront of him..... stick to basketball brampton.

DionPhaneuf3 02-15-2012 04:32 PM

There was this guy here not too long ago...let in a rolling puck from 200ft away...

Macoun4life 02-15-2012 05:06 PM

Wasn't Greg Millen the worst goalie ever? I also had a pretty bad goalie on my house league team one year...

enixer 02-15-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedsBlueAndWhite (Post 44178041)
Crha wasn't that bad, but had one of my favorite Leaf goalie masks (hence avatar ;)) But what Shand did was pretty low class. He was no superstar himself.

He was definitely one of the coolest looking goalies at that time, his mask was amazing.

Cool mask or not, and I never saw him play, but how bad could he have been??
Shand's comments seem pretty stupid.

Johnny Engine 02-16-2012 06:40 AM

Anyone bringing up Aastrom or Millen should look up Steve Buzinski....a wartime replacement who had absolutely no business being in the NHL.

Toskala spent a season as an adequate starter with the Leafs, but after his phantom groin injury, he had the flat out worst stats in the NHL by a shocking margin. "Worst Leafs goalie ever" would have to go to Toskala during that period, unless you want to count obvious non-NHLers like Sebastien Centomo, and that's kind of pointless.

StarBurns RIP 02-16-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iceman (Post 44176007)
Yes but Minnesota's shot clock operater was known to be VERY one sided in his assessments of shots on goal.

I do remember that with the Leafs' broadcasters making a big joke of how few shots on goal the Leafs were getting credit for.

StarBurns RIP 02-16-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Engine (Post 44242219)
Anyone bringing up Aastrom or Millen should look up Steve Buzinski....a wartime replacement who had absolutely no business being in the NHL.

Toskala spent a season as an adequate starter with the Leafs, but after his phantom groin injury, he had the flat out worst stats in the NHL by a shocking margin. "Worst Leafs goalie ever" would have to go to Toskala during that period, unless you want to count obvious non-NHLers like Sebastien Centomo, and that's kind of pointless.

Worst "good" goalie of all time? May be Jim Carey. Vezina at 22 years of age, permanently retired before his 25th birthday.

Interactif 02-16-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 44170067)
http://patch.com/A-qMWv
Was Jiri Chra the worst goalie ever?

I recall Jiri making 61 saves in a game against The North Stars in the 80's, I wouldn't say he as the worst goalie I have seen, no doubt his style was unorthodoxed.

StarBurns RIP 02-16-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactif (Post 44245471)
I recall Jiri making 61 saves in a game against The North Stars in the 80's, I wouldn't say he as the worst goalie I have seen, no doubt his style was unorthodoxed.

I recall that Crha played a style not unlike fellow Czech Hasek's style. Both were deep in the net and played much of the time on their knees. And I seem to remember both had the habit of just dropping their goal stick when attempting to cover the puck.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.