HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: What happens if the Leafs become sellers? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1107419)

Gardiner Expressway 02-15-2012 02:09 AM

What happens if the Leafs become sellers?

This isn't a sky is falling we've lost 4 games in a row let's blow up the team post.

As the market is severely dried up, what happens if the leafs sell at the deadline (within reason of course). What type of deals can we expect to see?

Schennanigans 02-15-2012 02:16 AM

I'd hope we can find someone take Connolly. As a seller we don't have a lot of valuable assets.

LeafOfBread 02-15-2012 02:25 AM

The only scenario where we sell is if we do cap dump trades. Komi, Connolly, Lombardi for example.

PhiladelphiaKessel 02-15-2012 02:35 AM

Lombardi for a mid round pick.

RomanianLeafs 02-15-2012 03:48 AM

i doubt the leafs will be sellers anymore as long as burke is here, and to be frankly i don`t ever want to do that..we lost our window to rebuild,now we need to compete hard year after year and become a contending team..

Sittler 27 02-15-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafOfBread (Post 44171889)
The only scenario where we sell is if we do cap dump trades. Komi, Connolly, Lombardi for example.

I want to do that even if were buyers

grits207 02-15-2012 04:53 AM

This would be a great year to sell. The Leafs could get a great return for Grabovski, especially now that Ruutu is off the market. Trade Grabo and MacArthur for picks, hope somebody is dumb enough to take Connolly off our hands, go for MacKinnon next season.

MoreMogilny 02-15-2012 05:03 AM

I can't imagine Burke selling.

Not that I'm against the idea as this team is still a ways away from contention, but I think Burke will do his best to see this team into the playoffs.

If we do sell, then I think we have several attractive pieces that would interest teams.

hullsy47 02-15-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grits207 (Post 44172935)
This would be a great year to sell. The Leafs could get a great return for Grabovski, especially now that Ruutu is off the market. Trade Grabo and MacArthur for picks, hope somebody is dumb enough to take Connolly off our hands, go for MacKinnon next season.

i agree with u grits ......this team as it sits will be in tough just to make the playoffs ....but i cant see burke being allowed to sell by ownership ...if this gets ugly ..ie:a loss tonite " then i can see a panic move ...a good prospect for a half assed goalie or something
i think burke has to answer to someone soon.......new owners may have their own ideas....and maybe marketing good young homegrown stars is the way
a loss tonite and burke will look like a chump by extending wilson ....a coach firing would likly be a bigger spark than bringing in jeff carter or dustin penner ......we got enuff under achievers now ......bang on grits ....sell sell sell

Igy 02-15-2012 06:19 AM

I wouldn't mind if they became sellers but it will never happen.

dubplatepressure 02-15-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Igy (Post 44173475)
I wouldn't mind if they became sellers but it will never happen.

It may. If we do, we'll get lots in return with how weak the crop of available talent is.

Leaf Rocket 02-15-2012 06:34 AM

Dont see it happening.

Phion Keneuf 02-15-2012 06:40 AM

We would be heading in the right direction, at the wrong time.

ACC1224 02-15-2012 06:44 AM

I expect them to be Sellers and Buyers.

hockeyfanz 02-15-2012 07:32 AM

Every year its the same nonsense....TSN and Sportsnet hype this trade deadline day for months in advance....When the day comes they both have panels on from 8am until 5 oclock.....for a bunch of role players, depth players and muckers getting shifted from roster to roster. We are all waiting for that team shaping huge blockbuster trade but as in years past, I expect little nothing moves....Joey Crabb for a 5th round pick type of deals. I'd be surprised if the Leafs did anything of significance. It would be nice to wake up to a 9 player blockbuster deal that would actually make a difference for once. I'm getting fed up with looking at the garbage on this hockey team.

Remove Stajan, Blake, Hagman, Mayers.....Insert Bozak, Connolly, Lombardi,Brown....same sh1te...different pile.

Mansfield 02-15-2012 07:41 AM

I really don't want to lose Grabo, but if we have to, this is probably the perfect time. A pretty weak cast of available players means that he could probably fetch quite a nice return.

Nizdizzle 02-15-2012 08:14 AM

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Burke moved Connolly, Lombardi, and Armstrong somehow before the deadline, and Frattin/Colborne/Kadri came up to replace them? One can dream...

birddog* 02-15-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LupulMania (Post 44171727)
This isn't a sky is falling we've lost 4 games in a row let's blow up the team post.

As the market is severely dried up, what happens if the leafs sell at the deadline (within reason of course). What type of deals can we expect to see?

If you have watched Brian Burke during his tenure you would know that will never happen. He will move out excess bodies and contracts but he won't be selling UFA's like Grabovski for picks or prospects. Never gonna happen.

Interactif 02-15-2012 08:17 AM

Think it is becoming clearer by the day this team is still one that is building rather than is in the buy mode, I recall Burke saying a year ago, I want to build for a championship when discussing trades, rather than to buy a spot in the playoffs only to have our arses wiped in the 1st round. I'm sure he is not going to mortage the future for a quick stop gap solution.

KiwiPuck217 02-15-2012 08:22 AM

I doubt we will, but I wish we would...
We can trade MacArthur, Franson, Aulie away
And dump Komi, Connolly, Lombardi, etc if possible...

Obviously they seem unlikely, but even just trading away ONE or TWO of those piece would be nice, free up some money and most important, free up a roster spot

pspot 02-15-2012 08:37 AM

seems like a great market to be sellers but its probably to late to really improve the draft position.

Beleafer4 02-15-2012 08:37 AM

If he could find takers on lombardi and komisarek, we would become a better team.

Sterling31 02-15-2012 08:38 AM

Sell to Buy.

if anyone wants Army, Lombardi, Komi, Connolly.

We can take the picks and prospects and add them to upgrading trades

Interactif 02-15-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beleafer4 (Post 44176475)
If he could find takers on lombardi and komisarek, we would become a better team.

I would add to that, Grabo, The Monster, MacArthur, continue the streak of trades Burke has compiled since the Phaneuf trade. Almost all overwhemingly in our favour. Even picks 2nds and 1sts have value later on, it's currency you may need if we visit a bigger deal that may come along in the offseason.

Mansfield 02-15-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfanz (Post 44174773)
Every year its the same nonsense....TSN and Sportsnet hype this trade deadline day for months in advance....When the day comes they both have panels on from 8am until 5 oclock.....for a bunch of role players, depth players and muckers getting shifted from roster to roster. We are all waiting for that team shaping huge blockbuster trade but as in years past, I expect little nothing moves....Joey Crabb for a 5th round pick type of deals. I'd be surprised if the Leafs did anything of significance. It would be nice to wake up to a 9 player blockbuster deal that would actually make a difference for once. I'm getting fed up with looking at the garbage on this hockey team.

Remove Stajan, Blake, Hagman, Mayers.....Insert Bozak, Connolly, Lombardi,Brown....same sh1te...different pile.

I would much rather the latter 4 over the former 4.