HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dog show & fresh ice (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1107421)

ChipAyten 02-15-2012 02:10 AM

Dog show & fresh ice

Any thought on how this might affect the Rangers for better or worse?

DonCherrysSuit 02-15-2012 03:17 AM

Just about every game is played on fresh ice. The Rangers share MSG with the Knicks, the Liberty, the circus, monster truck rallies, concerts and all types of events. It's rare that the ice stays put for multiple games at a time.

ChipAyten 02-15-2012 03:53 AM

That's not what I meant. For the dog show the ice is melted because the dogs can sense the cold and start digging. Afterwards an entirely new sheet of ice is layered down and painted, it's a new rink entirely.

Megustaelhockey 02-15-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubinstache (Post 44172367)
Just about every game is played on fresh ice. The Rangers share MSG with the Knicks, the Liberty, the circus, monster truck rallies, concerts and all types of events. It's rare that the ice stays put for multiple games at a time.

This is not a true statement according to the million or so MSG tours I've been on. The ice is covered for almost every event, however it is removed for events involving animals like the circus, dog show, and rodeo stuff.

Cliffy1814 02-15-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipAyten (Post 44171737)
Any thought on how this might affect the Rangers for better or worse?

Unlike teams of the past, the quality of ice should have no impact.
Dump and chase, block shots, forecehck, bang people around.
That style could be played on any surface with equal effectiveness IMO.

Jabroni 02-15-2012 07:45 AM

Is this why the Blue Jackets game was moved to 8 pm?

nevesis 02-15-2012 08:00 AM

Even with a 'new' layer of ice, this isn't the core problem as to why MSG's ice is bad in the first place.

The ice is located four stories up. Put that together with the fact that a train station is directly below everything, and a refrigeration ice system that is archaic compared to today's standards, you have a recipe for terrible ice conditions.

During the last phase of renovations is when they are finally going to be redoing the entire refrigeration system. This is when I believe the ice will finally be somewhat similar to most modern day arenas.

NHRangerfan 02-15-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 (Post 44175045)
Is this why the Blue Jackets game was moved to 8 pm?

Most likely an afternoon Knicks game

NYRFAN218 02-15-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHRangerfan (Post 44175555)
Most likely an afternoon Knicks game

Yep. Knicks play Dallas at 1 at the Garden.

Hockey Team 02-15-2012 09:28 AM

Actually, if we're playing against a more skilled team, we should be intentionally making ****** ice, because it hurts the other team far more then it hurts us.

RangerFan09 02-15-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubinstache (Post 44172367)

Liberty actually play in Newark now, which is extreamly weird. I found that out when I went to the Rangers/Devils game the other week.

But its really amazing how many events the arena holds during the course of a year.

NYRFAN218 02-15-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerFan09 (Post 44179059)
Liberty actually play in Newark now, which is extreamly weird. I found that out when I went to the Rangers/Devils game the other week.

But its really amazing how many events the arena holds during the course of a year.

They're only playing in Newark because the Garden's shut down during the summer for the renovations. They will be back when everything is done.

AdamBanks99 02-15-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 (Post 44175609)
Yep. Knicks play Dallas at 1 at the Garden.

it's probably a combination of the knicks playing in the afternoon, the 19th being hockey day in american and the fact that monday is a national holiday.

DonCherrysSuit 02-15-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey (Post 44173019)
This is not a true statement according to the million or so MSG tours I've been on. The ice is covered for almost every event, however it is removed for events involving animals like the circus, dog show, and rodeo stuff.

Ah, I stand corrected.

Either way, MSG is always on the list of arenas with the worst ice in the THN Players Poll. I can't see how the dog show will make much of a difference, for better or for worse.