HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1107605)

bigplay41 02-15-2012 11:15 AM

Jets @ Wild

so for those of us who are not driving down to the twin cities i figured wed start up a pre game chat

King Woodballs 02-15-2012 11:22 AM

please win

now we are going to know what it is like to play at the MTSC the day after someone playing in Minny haha

WJG 02-15-2012 11:26 AM

I would I be wrong in anticipating a "Girls Jets Gone Wild" themed GDT? :laugh:

Guerzy 02-15-2012 11:44 AM

Listening to Sportsnet's the fan 590 with Darren Millard and Doug MacLean. They are discussing Noel's quotes after the last couple games, and MacLean says if Noel doesn't cool it down these remarks, it will get him fired. The way Noel is putting down the players, the pieces he has to work with, his negative comments after the last couple games, to last night where he hinted at management making roster moves. MacLean said we are 4 points out, and this is a time where (even if things are tough) the coach must be positive and encouraging, not showing kinks in his armor.

Anyway, Millard also stated how Ladd backed up what Noel was saying that if the players aren't in the room that can score and get the job done, then the GM has to bring someone in to help.

Pretty interesting situation we have brewing here. Given how tight lipped the organization is with things, it wouldn't surprise me to see some damage control here in the next day or two and see Noel and Ladd kind of take back their comments and come out with a more positive tone and outlook.

After more thought on my part, I don't think this team can be helped at this point in time. I don't think there are quality available players on the market for trade who can help us, and we aren't about to shell out the assets to acquire a Nash or Carter. Given Ladd's comments (though his play hasn't been very good, either), I do believe that the players want to see someone brought in to help the offense, but who? very few available and available at a low cost. The one guy I see that fits our list in terms of coming cheap and someone who has shown he can score goals in the NHL before, is Brad Boyes. I think we will possibly make a move here to help inject a "feel good feeling" into the room for the guys. Does a player like Boyes help us? I don't think so, I personally think he would just fit in with the rest of our inconsistent, slumping players. But, it would at least be a cheap move for management to say "here is some help".

WJG 02-15-2012 11:53 AM

I do think Noel needs to tone down the comments. I know he's a new coach in the NHL, but it seems like he always has something to say when someone gives him an opportunity.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the pessimism. Even after a win, he focuses on what they could have improved on, not what allowed them to win. I also don't like how he calls out player's flaws in the media (ie. Antropov being a bad skater).

King Woodballs 02-15-2012 11:54 AM

Everyone is feeling the pressure.

They want to make the playoffs... but don't think they have the players to do it.

I have zero issues with what Noel or Ladd said.

More people need to speak there peace instead of being mindless puppets

Holden Caulfield 02-15-2012 12:03 PM

Well said Guerzy.

Noel is starting to piss me right off. I don't know where he gets off making comments like this. He was a longshot picked solely because he happened to be coaching the right AHL team, now he is sowing dissent in the organization. The coach should be working EVERY SINGLE DAY with the GM, discussing things, working things out. Now here he is openly questioning his boss and how competent his boss is. I have not been a fan of his hiring, but was willing to give him a chance. But as the season has progressed, I have been less a fan of him every day, this is the breaking point, IMO. From his complete refusal to reward hard work (best player one game = sent back to St. John's/fourth line the next :shakehead) to his mismanagement of the lines, to his not actually coaching anybody during games, to his ragging on players/management in the media I really think Noel is simply not a good coach.

As for Ladd, this is completely unprofessional. Both him and Noel need to learn that things like this STAY BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. You do not question management in the media, this is beyond a big no no. You know the end result? It makes the organization look bad, MAKING IT HARDER TO ACQUIRE PLAYERS. Talk about counter-productive. Might be Ladd still adapting to captaincy and an actual hockey market, but he needs to smarten up and fast.

atl thrasher344 02-15-2012 12:08 PM

When Noel says "I'm doing the best with what I have," he is effectively saying he doesn't believe that the players on this team are good enough. He might feel that way, heck some of the people here feel that way, but you can't tell it to the media cause the players will lose whatever confidence they have.

Hammer Slammer 02-15-2012 12:11 PM

I could try and come up with a GDT later. Although I have to be up really early to drive my girlfriend to the airport since she's going to Churchill tomorrow. I'll let you know later, unless YWG wants to have at it! If you do, go for it good buddy. :)

I'm excited to see how many of us travelled down there. Someone in another thread was saying 3-5k?? Don't know if I believe it but that would be amazing.

Turbofan 02-15-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 44184933)
From his complete refusal to reward hard work (best player one game = sent back to St. John's/fourth line the next :shakehead)

I disagree. I wouldn't call anything he has done 'a complete refusal to reward hard work'. I would call this a lack of agreement over who are the best players. In my mind he's rewarded players for their play fairly consistently.

surixon 02-15-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Well said Guerzy.

Noel is starting to piss me right off. I don't know where he gets off making comments like this. He was a longshot picked solely because he happened to be coaching the right AHL team, now he is sowing dissent in the organization. The coach should be working EVERY SINGLE DAY with the GM, discussing things, working things out. Now here he is openly questioning his boss and how competent his boss is. I have not been a fan of his hiring, but was willing to give him a chance. But as the season has progressed, I have been less a fan of him every day, this is the breaking point, IMO. From his complete refusal to reward hard work (best player one game = sent back to St. John's/fourth line the next :shakehead) to his mismanagement of the lines, to his not actually coaching anybody during games, to his ragging on players/management in the media I really think Noel is simply not a good coach.

As for Ladd, this is completely unprofessional. Both him and Noel need to learn that things like this STAY BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. You do not question management in the media, this is beyond a big no no. You know the end result? It makes the organization look bad, MAKING IT HARDER TO ACQUIRE PLAYERS. Talk about counter-productive. Might be Ladd still adapting to captaincy and an actual hockey market, but he needs to smarten up and fast.

I agree with most of your points. I am very dissapointed with the comments by both Noel and Ladd, as you said those comments need to be made behind closed doors. I like Noel and think he has done some good things with the team this year, but he needs to learn how to control himself infront of the media. He is far too emotional and lets a lot of stuff slip that he shouldn't. I know there are coaches like this out there like Torterella, but Noel is a rookie head coach who doesn't have a cup ring or anywhere near the credibility that Torts has and if he doesn't want his players to start tunning him out or to be out of a job due to management souring on him calling out the organization he needs to tone it down big time.

I have defended Ladd most of the year but his comments left a sour taste in my mouth. I expect better from him, instead of pointing the blame at himself and the rest of the slumping forwards he is essentially blaming management for there scoring woes. Absolutly terrible leadership shown by the captain in this instance. If he thinks that the team needs some extra players brought in to help shoulder the load than he can talk to Chevy about it.

All these two are doing his hindering Chevy's ability to make a favorable deal by underminding whatever leverage that he may have.

Kinjero 02-15-2012 12:30 PM

dam.. This won't help.. :shakehead

Jet 02-15-2012 12:34 PM

First of all, when I hear the name "Doug McLean" I usually roll my eyes at anything he says. He's an idiot... he suggested he was as a GM and proves it every time he opens the mic.

I don't mind what Noel said. He's being honest, and I'd rather have that than a yes man. He does need to pump up his team a little more I think, but with some of the things they do in games, I don't blame him.

As for Ladd, he can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. If he was putting a Slater-esque effort nightly then IMHO he would have SOME right to say this.

Ladd is a BIG part of the problem right now. Too soft, too bumbly with the puck, takes bad penalties, cannot get the team on the same page when they are struggling. I wouldn't mind if he was the first traded, make Slater the Captain.

Just Ducky 02-15-2012 12:35 PM

I think Coach should be careful- this team is not responding and remarks like these in the media are not helpful to the guys in the dressing room. I think we can all agree that a shake up is necessary- and if we can't make any decent trades guess what comes next??

vBurmi 02-15-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJG (Post 44184393)
I do think Noel needs to tone down the comments. I know he's a new coach in the NHL, but it seems like he always has something to say when someone gives him an opportunity.

Don't forget how he said he would be "shocked" if Scheifele didn't make the team after the first 10 games. I don't mind his style of coaching at all but he does need to learn to handle the media better. This isn't the AHL anymore, he's in the spotlight more than he thinks he is. I'd be surprised if this went on much longer though, Chevy or someone else will tell him to watch what he says in to the microphone.

I do think he's a good coach. The line combinations he came up with for last nights game were great. The Kane-Burmi-Wellwood line had about half a dozen scoring chances but failed to finish them and Antropov responded well to the demotion to the fourth with his most physical game of the year. He deserves some credit for that.

sipowicz 02-15-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 (Post 44185169)
When Noel says "I'm doing the best with what I have," he is effectively saying he doesn't believe that the players on this team are good enough. He might feel that way, heck some of the people here feel that way, but you can't tell it to the media cause the players will lose whatever confidence they have.

The proof is in the pudding for the players currently on the Jets roster, they choked in the second half of the season last year in Atlanta and are going down without much fight this year in Winnipeg.

This team truly is a gutless bunch and aside from Wheeler don't have much fight.

Don't think Dudley would have stood pat and watched the team perform as poorly as they have since the Christmas break without making changes.

Chevy seems gun shy in making changes other than picking up the occasional scrub on the waiver wire. I mean how long does it take him to figure out which players are keepers and which ones aren't.

Jets may have made a big mistake in not retaining GM Dudley who had a plan for this team.

sipowicz 02-15-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 44186725)
First of all, when I hear the name "Doug McLean" I usually roll my eyes at anything he says. He's an idiot... he suggested he was as a GM and proves it every time he opens the mic.

I don't mind what Noel said. He's being honest, and I'd rather have that than a yes man. He does need to pump up his team a little more I think, but with some of the things they do in games, I don't blame him.

As for Ladd, he can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. If he was putting a Slater-esque effort nightly then IMHO he would have SOME right to say this.

Ladd is a BIG part of the problem right now. Too soft, too bumbly with the puck, takes bad penalties, cannot get the team on the same page when they are struggling. I wouldn't mind if he was the first traded, make Slater the Captain.

:handclap: I'm with you on that one, I've had enough of watching Ladd passes in the offensive zone go to open ice or opponents. Ladd really doesn't seem to have much of a clue of what he doing out there, zero hockey sense. I would be more worried about resigning Slater than wherever Ladd goes.

Concordski 02-15-2012 01:29 PM

Besides Joel and the Bots, what has Minnesota given us?

Turbofan 02-15-2012 01:34 PM

Man, what's the over/under for this game with these two low-scoring teams? 2.5?

JetsCameHome 02-15-2012 01:41 PM

I would rather them lose now so we can plan for next year, rather than squeak out a win here or there, do nothing at the deadline and be in the same mess come draft day.

With all the 1 and 0 goal games it's time to stop fooling ourselves that the playoffs are in reach. Toronto has gifted us to many chances to close the gap, while other teams are closing in or pulling ahead.

GrandChelems 02-15-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Well said Guerzy.

I'm not sure that is giving much credit to the organization and the work they put into selecting the right pieces to move the project forward.

ICdave 02-15-2012 02:55 PM

Post-practice audio

http://illegalcurve.com/wp-content/u...ex-300x225.jpg

It was a rush today as the guys left the IcePlex for Minnesota.

Click here for Little, Ladd and Thorburn.

Click here for Coach Claude Noel.

Turbofan 02-15-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sipowicz (Post 44187693)
The proof is in the pudding for the players currently on the Jets roster, they choked in the second half of the season last year in Atlanta and are going down without much fight this year in Winnipeg.

This team truly is a gutless bunch and aside from Wheeler don't have much fight.

Don't think Dudley would have stood pat and watched the team perform as poorly as they have since the Christmas break without making changes.
Chevy seems gun shy in making changes other than picking up the occasional scrub on the waiver wire. I mean how long does it take him to figure out which players are keepers and which ones aren't.

Jets may have made a big mistake in not retaining GM Dudley who had a plan for this team.

Do you kind of see how you might be contradicting yourself a little?

I don't see how you can praise Dudley, yet slam the 'gutless' core that he assembled at the same time? I mean if you're insinuating that the house that Rick built was never any good to begin with, why would you want this guy back?

And my memory eludes me, but what did Dudley do when the Thrashers began their 3-16 slide or whatever it was in January last year?

Huffer 02-15-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings (Post 44195901)
Do you kind of see how you might be contradicting yourself a little?

I don't see how you can praise Dudley, yet slam the 'gutless' core that he assembled at the same time? I mean if you're insinuating that the house that Rick built was never any good to begin with, why would you want this guy back?

And my memory eludes me, but what did Dudley do when the Thrashers began their 3-16 slide or whatever it was in January last year?

Easy there Wings. Logic has no place here.

YWGinYYZ 02-15-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer (Post 44185323)
I could try and come up with a GDT later. Although I have to be up really early to drive my girlfriend to the airport since she's going to Churchill tomorrow. I'll let you know later, unless YWG wants to have at it! If you do, go for it good buddy. :)

I've put together a "template" for all 30 teams, so I can crank one out for the Wild - I used them to start the template, since it was the next game. Pretty, but boring - the Python/Star Wars/Clue type stuff takes a bunch of effort (as you probably know with the Bro GDT you did), and I'm not feeling that inspired by the Jets at the moment. :laugh: So, I have one ready to go, but if you've got something fun that you want to do, lemme know!

PS: I have a few more team logos to add to the Photoshop file, then I'll make the template available for anyone that wants it, and wants a starting point for GDT's. Has "instructions" in the layer naming, etc. Basically plug and play.

Quote:

I'm excited to see how many of us travelled down there. Someone in another thread was saying 3-5k?? Don't know if I believe it but that would be amazing.
That would be nutz! :yo: