HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Raptors Discussion: v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1107705)

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 01:06 PM

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.
 
****tards.

Leaf Rocket 02-15-2012 01:07 PM

and stickied.

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 01:12 PM

Thanks in Hindi.

Leaf Rocket 02-15-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic (Post 44188669)
Thanks in Hindi.

you know i have no idea how to say welcome in hindi, i know its shukriya but what do you say after

Leaf Rocket 02-15-2012 01:27 PM

LOL good job boys.

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 01:39 PM

Alright fine, CH or MC, or BC all work for me. It's how I roll like that.

bozaksniffles* 02-15-2012 02:37 PM

With regards to the topic being discussed in the previous thread, I would suspect that there are actually very few Raptors fans in Toronto. This is their choice; buying a ticket does not mean they are legit Raptors fans. Many may enjoy going to the games and watching NBA basketball, but it is going to be very easy for them to latch on to a nice story such as the one being written by Jeremy Lin.

I personally don't care much about the NBA, but Jeremy Lin intrigues me. The kid gave a post-game press conference that demonstrated a level of integrity and insight rarely seen in professional basketball.

Hyperglide 02-15-2012 02:40 PM

2 heartbreaking losses in 1 week. I'm so glad this is a tank season. To lose at home (more like to lose at Linville) to the Knicks on a game winning 3 was funny. I knew the Raptors were gonna blow it. And now with the Leafs losing 4 in a row. I'm going to go play video games for a week and get away from sports before I have a stroke.

Lil OT but Deus Ex: Human Revolution is effing awesome. Pick that game up.

Oedi 02-15-2012 02:41 PM

I think it is unfair to label Asians because they came to cheer in your homecourt with someone they can identify with. Not to mention it is a good story to boot. And for the people who think Asians don't know anything about basketball? Get your bigoted head out of your *****. Anyways, the Chinese community in Radio and TV has been rooting on him because he is Asian and they feel like they have a cultural identification with him. Man do you know how hard it is to be Asian and be called too short or too weak to play basketball. Lin went through all these problems that many Asians had and he succeeded and Asians are proud of that. The guy wasn't even drafted. Asians had Yao Ming but since he retired now no one else is around and with Lin, he basically replaced that hole for Asians-North Americans to fill. And not to mention he actually grew up here instead of in China so tons of Asian people in Markham can identify him. You people need to grow up. The raptors are a crappy team and you can't expect a group of people who are marginalized in sports to cheer for a crappy team over someone they can get behind and cheer for. Lin is a humble, smart and charismatic player and deserves this hype.

If you want people to cheer the Raptors, buy a ticket and go there yourself. People who went last night felt they were getting their bang for the buck cheering for Lin so grow up and don't belittle other people for who they cheer for and even using racism when it wasn't just Asian fans cheering after that shot. People who buy tickets can cheer for whoever the hell they want. Grow up and be mature with these special set of circumstances. The Asian community are just as passionate about basketball as anyone else but they never had anyone to identify with. Lin provides an outlet for many Asian - Americans and Asian-Canadians to support. People including Asians will cheer for the Raptors if they ever become a winning team. Not everyone wants to suffer through the "bad" years just to be a hardcore fan.

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oedi (Post 44193499)
I think it is unfair to label Asians because they came to cheer in your homecourt with someone they can identify with. Not to mention it is a good story to boot. And for the people who think Asians don't know anything about basketball? Get your bigoted head out of your *****. Anyways, the Chinese community in Radio and TV has been rooting on him because he is Asian and they feel like they have a cultural identification with him. Man do you know how hard it is to be Asian and be called too short or too weak to play basketball. Lin went through all these problems that many Asians had and he succeeded and Asians are proud of that. The guy wasn't even drafted. Asians had Yao Ming but since he retired now no one else is around and with Lin, he basically replaced that hole for Asians-North Americans to fill. And not to mention he actually grew up here instead of in China so tons of Asian people in Markham can identify him. You people need to grow up. The raptors are a crappy team and you can't expect a group of people who are marginalized in sports to cheer for a crappy team over someone they can get behind and cheer for. Lin is a humble, smart and charismatic player and deserves this hype.

If you want people to cheer the Raptors, buy a ticket and go there yourself. People who went last night felt they were getting their bang for the buck cheering for Lin so grow up and don't belittle other people for who they cheer for and even using racism when it wasn't just Asian fans cheering after that shot. People who buy tickets can cheer for whoever the hell they want. Grow up and be mature with these special set of circumstances. The Asian community are just as passionate about basketball as anyone else but they never had anyone to identify with. Lin provides an outlet for many Asian - Americans and Asian-Canadians to support. People including Asians will cheer for the Raptors if they ever become a winning team. Not everyone wants to suffer through the "bad" years just to be a hardcore fan.

:laugh: whatever, I didn't say every Asian doesn't know a thing about basketball. Clearly, they do. But I bet good money that most of the bandwagonners that were there didn't know a thing, other than, he's good and he's Asian.

If that Bhullar kid becomes anything in the association, and he comes to play the Raptors, I'll boo the **** out of him. It was like watching a Devils game with Rangers fans dominating.

I can't wait until he fades back to mediocrity.

I'm sure my hatred stems from the fact he's a Knick, and a Harvard *********. And don't get me started on the God thing. Every time Tebow does it, I shake my head as well. Keep your religious opinions to yourself.

Hyperglide 02-15-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oedi (Post 44193499)
I think it is unfair to label Asians because they came to cheer in your homecourt with someone they can identify with. Not to mention it is a good story to boot. And for the people who think Asians don't know anything about basketball? Get your bigoted head out of your *****. Anyways, the Chinese community in Radio and TV has been rooting on him because he is Asian and they feel like they have a cultural identification with him. Man do you know how hard it is to be Asian and be called too short or too weak to play basketball. Lin went through all these problems that many Asians had and he succeeded and Asians are proud of that. The guy wasn't even drafted. Asians had Yao Ming but since he retired now no one else is around and with Lin, he basically replaced that hole for Asians-North Americans to fill. And not to mention he actually grew up here instead of in China so tons of Asian people in Markham can identify him. You people need to grow up. The raptors are a crappy team and you can't expect a group of people who are marginalized in sports to cheer for a crappy team over someone they can get behind and cheer for. Lin is a humble, smart and charismatic player and deserves this hype.

If you want people to cheer the Raptors, buy a ticket and go there yourself. People who went last night felt they were getting their bang for the buck cheering for Lin so grow up and don't belittle other people for who they cheer for and even using racism when it wasn't just Asian fans cheering after that shot. People who buy tickets can cheer for whoever the hell they want. Grow up and be mature with these special set of circumstances. The Asian community are just as passionate about basketball as anyone else but they never had anyone to identify with. Lin provides an outlet for many Asian - Americans and Asian-Canadians to support. People including Asians will cheer for the Raptors if they ever become a winning team. Not everyone wants to suffer through the "bad" years just to be a hardcore fan.

It's funny that you point the finger and tell people to 'grow-up' and 'stop being racist' when you yourself are doing it. Hypocrite. Don't try to play the race card here either. Yao Ming deserved his popularity.

In your own arena the fans should never be cheering for the home team to lose. The fans last night at the arena were a disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves. Just because Lin is the flavour of the month and some of these fans are playing the fiddle on the bandwagon, because he's on a little bit of a hot streak, doesn't mean you should cheer for the opposition.

In fact you know by the way the game ended last night it almost felt like that those last 2 minutes were staged. Like the Raptors were set up to lose. I really am serious. Calderon turnover to a wide open dunk for Shumpert and like 3 consecutive turnovers? Calderon is one of the best PG's at not turning the ball over. I really think they literally handed them the game. Then Calderon conveniently gives Lin an uncontested 3 point shot.

I guess the NBA thinks no Toronto fans are going to care because we are a 'lottery team' and they are going to ride the Lin train all the way to the bank. His 15 minutes will be up soon, and we can all go back to booing Kobe and Lebron every other week.

Eytinge 02-15-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic (Post 44193867)
:laugh: whatever, I didn't say every Asian doesn't know a thing about basketball. Clearly, they do. But I bet good money that most of the bandwagonners that were there didn't know a thing, other than, he's good and he's Asian.

If that Bhullar kid becomes anything in the association, and he comes to play the Raptors, I'll boo the **** out of him. It was like watching a Devils game with Rangers fans dominating.

I can't wait until he fades back to mediocrity.

I'm sure my hatred stems from the fact he's a Knick, and a Harvard *********. And don't get me started on the God thing. Every time Tebow does it, I shake my head as well. Keep your religious opinions to yourself.

You'll be waiting for awhile bro.

And why do you have a problem with players thanking God? I'm not really religious, but who am I to tell them what to say after a win?

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 03:08 PM

Same reason while I don't like anthems before a game. Sports aren't about bringing your personal beliefs and your patriotism to the table. I like the anthems myself, but I can see why some people don't need to hear em. At least we don't have to hear it before the start of a movie like they do in India.

And I'm religious, but I won't go around saying Gita this and Gita that (because I'm a Hindu), leave the religion out of it and just talk about the game without interjecting the word Bible.

And I'll say it right here, right now. This time next year, people will say, remember that stretch of 15 good games Jeremy Lin had? That was fun.

**** the Knicks.

TrueBlue86 02-15-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic (Post 44193867)
If that Bhullar kid becomes anything in the association, and he comes to play the Raptors, I'll boo the **** out of him. It was like watching a Devils game with Rangers fans dominating.

don`t you cheer on the devils when they`re in the acc

i agree with the points you`re trying to make, but they shouldn`t be coming from someone like yourself

it`s not like you`re `all in` when it comes to the local teams

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 (Post 44196469)
don`t you cheer on the devils when they`re in the acc

i agree with the points you`re trying to make, but they shouldn`t be coming from someone like yourself

it`s not like you`re `all in` when it comes to the local teams

It's not even the same situation there, pal.

I'm not going to drown out the ACC, because I'm just one person. The ACC is never going to be cheering like the home team won when the Devils win in OT.

Last night, it was like they played at the God damned Garden.

And for the record, I don't go to the ACC when the Devils come in town. I go to Buffalo, it's cheaper and I sit on the glass. I used to go to ACC until I discovered that the FNC in Buffalo is a God send.

And lastly, I am "all-in" on local teams. There used to be a time when the Devils/Leafs didn't give a **** about each other being in different conferences and all. So, I could cheer for both teams. I want the Leafs to do well, but when it comes to the Devils and head to head battles, I'm not cheering the Leafs over the Devils. And if it comes down to the playoffs, no chance in hell. But, if the Devils are out and the Leafs are on a run, I will hope they beat Detroit, or whatever the West has to offer.

Darcy Tucker 02-15-2012 03:49 PM

Lol Rasual Butler

hotpaws 02-15-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic (Post 44197147)
It's not even the same situation there, pal.

I'm not going to drown out the ACC, because I'm just one person. The ACC is never going to be cheering like the home team won when the Devils win in OT.

Last night, it was like they played at the God damned Garden.

And for the record, I don't go to the ACC when the Devils come in town. I go to Buffalo, it's cheaper and I sit on the glass. I used to go to ACC until I discovered that the FNC in Buffalo is a God send.

And lastly, I am "all-in" on local teams. There used to be a time when the Devils/Leafs didn't give a **** about each other being in different conferences and all. So, I could cheer for both teams. I want the Leafs to do well, but when it comes to the Devils and head to head battles, I'm not cheering the Leafs over the Devils. And if it comes down to the playoffs, no chance in hell. But, if the Devils are out and the Leafs are on a run, I will hope they beat Detroit, or whatever the West has to offer.

I really don't care who the fans cheer for . Alot of the people who showed up probably don't follow the NBA that much and just bought a ticket for a fun day out and a chance to show a little support for someone they can associate with . The place was jammed and everyone seemed to have a great time and were treated to an exciting game .

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 04:11 PM

Great, they had a good time. But the game was a home game, not a road game.

Crispy Crust 02-15-2012 04:12 PM

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...nts-in-toronto

Is that actually serious?

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispy Crust (Post 44198367)

:nod: yes, it was. Which is another part of why it's just so infuriating.

I mean, really. What's next? An article by our writers that Gretzky's high stick to Gilmour was the greatest thing to ever happen in a Toronto Maple Leafs playoff game?

bigred50 02-15-2012 04:16 PM

I'd consider myself a Raptors fan - but this season is a loss, and we have no chance of making the playoffs, so winning or losing doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things - so I have to admit, I was hoping Lin would hit that shot at the buzzer to set off pandemonium.

Last night was pure entertainment.


I'll agree though, I'd be shocked if Lin is still starting for the Knicks 3-4 weeks from now.

Jaysfanatic* 02-15-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred50 (Post 44198589)
I'd consider myself a Raptors fan - but this season is a loss, and we have no chance of making the playoffs, so winning or losing doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things - so I have to admit, I was hoping Lin would hit that shot at the buzzer to set off pandemonium.

Last night was pure entertainment.


I'll agree though, I'd be shocked if Lin is still starting for the Knicks 3-4 weeks from now.

I do care if they lose. Losing mentality can stick with teams. It's why the Columbus Blue Jackets are now dealing Nash and have never been able to get it right.

Or the Devils own, Ilya Kovalchuk. Can he ever be a winner? I'm thinking the NJD will not win a Cup for the next 14 years.

Once you stray down a path, any path, it's hard to overcome.

Habsfan18 02-15-2012 04:32 PM

Raptors could be active at deadline
 
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=387903

Quote:

It's also worth remembering that the team knows that they have Jonas Valanciunas coming over next year, and whether he starts or not, he'll be eating up lots of frontcourt minutes, and that in certain situations, Aaron Gray is going to play (if the team does the wise thing and re-signs him this summer) because his size and tenacity are simply called for in certain matchups. That means that the clock is ticking for Amir Johnson or Ed Davis in Toronto, it's just a matter of numbers, and this trade deadline may bring a swift resolution to that position.
Quote:

The power forward slot, though, is not the only area that could be shaken up in the month to come. Colangelo has made no secret of the fact that Leandro Barbosa is an attractive asset to contending teams, as his scoring punch off of the bench basically slides into any situation, and his expiring contract makes him doubly attractive to potential suitors. In trying to trade Barbosa, though, the Raptors are going to have to ward off the belief that they'll simply release the guard if no trade can be consummated by the deadline. If teams believe that they can just work to secure him as a free agent, they may not entertain the thought of parting with an asset to get him to their club.

hotpaws 02-15-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic (Post 44198709)
I do care if they lose. Losing mentality can stick with teams. It's why the Columbus Blue Jackets are now dealing Nash and have never been able to get it right.

Or the Devils own, Ilya Kovalchuk. Can he ever be a winner? I'm thinking the NJD will not win a Cup for the next 14 years.

Once you stray down a path, any path, it's hard to overcome.

I get tired of this losing mentality crap .

Teams lose because because the players/coach arn't good enough .The Cavs were losers until they picked James . The Celtics until they traded for the big 3 . The list goes on and on . B-ball is the one sport where the right superstar or two can turn a team around .

As far as hockey goes , it isn't just about the stats . Wingers have less of an impact than C's , D's or goalies .

91Kadri91 02-15-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic (Post 44198709)
I do care if they lose. Losing mentality can stick with teams. It's why the Columbus Blue Jackets are now dealing Nash and have never been able to get it right.

Or the Devils own, Ilya Kovalchuk. Can he ever be a winner? I'm thinking the NJD will not win a Cup for the next 14 years.

Once you stray down a path, any path, it's hard to overcome.

What's the alternative?

This team isn't going to build through free-agency. They can't build through free-agency.

They need to build through the draft, and despite what you seem to think, it can be done. Look at what Oklahoma City is doing, and Memphis. It can be successful and, in the case of the Raptors, it has to be successful. The only way they're going to attract good free-agents is to build a good team. The way to do so (in the Raptors case) is to build through the draft, and have good asset management.

That's just the way it is.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.