HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Examples of 3-way trades in the NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1108441)

Futon 02-16-2012 01:15 AM

Examples of 3-way trades in the NHL?

Hey, I always see 3-way trade proposals posted here. I can't even think of any 3-way trades ever that have happened. What are some examples? Preferably in the modern era.

burgess1978 02-16-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetriser (Post 44237429)
Hey, I always see 3-way trade proposals posted here. I can't even think of any 3-way trades ever that have happened. What are some examples? Preferably in the modern era.

Havlat trade to Chicago

In a three-way deal: Ottawa Senators traded Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski to the Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks traded Tom Preissing and Josh Hennessy to the Ottawa Senators (via Chicago), Chicago Blackhawks traded Mark Bell to the San Jose Sharks and traded Michal Barinka and a 2nd round selection in 2008 to the Ottawa Senators.

Radek Bonk trade to Montreal

Ottawa Senators traded Radek Bonk to the Los Angeles Kings for a 3rd round selection (Shawn Weller) in 2004 then the Kings traded Bonk to the Montreal Canadiens with Cristobal Huet for Mathieu Garon and a 3rd round selection (Paul Baier) in 2004.

Dominic Moore to Pittsburgh

New York Rangers traded Dominic Moore to the Nashville Predators for Adam Hall....then Nashville traded Dominic Moore and Libor Pivko to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a 3rd round selection in 2007.

ean 02-16-2012 01:21 AM

I forget all the details, but at the trade deadline a few seasons ago the kings sent Patrick O'Sullivan and a pick to carolina who sent the Kings back Justin Williams. Carolina then sent POS to edmonton for erik cole.

Eyedea 02-16-2012 01:25 AM

Claude Lemieux to COL
Wendel Clark to NYI
Stumpy Thomas to NJD

Andrew B 02-16-2012 01:31 AM

Erik Cole to Carolina

Patrick O'Sullivan to EDM

Justin Williams to LAK

ManOnTheMoon 02-16-2012 01:39 AM

It should be clarified that three way trades are actually two or more separate deals.

Brock Anton 02-16-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon (Post 44238123)
It should be clarified that three way trades are actually two or more separate deals.

Yeah, the Cole/Williams/O'Sullivan deal was actually three separate deals if I recall. Didn't Kotalik get dealt to Edmonton as well?

Brodeur 02-16-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ean (Post 44237603)
I forget all the details, but at the trade deadline a few seasons ago the kings sent Patrick O'Sullivan and a pick to carolina who sent the Kings back Justin Williams. Carolina then sent POS to edmonton for erik cole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock Anton (Post 44240321)
Yeah, the Cole/Williams/O'Sullivan deal was actually three separate deals if I recall. Didn't Kotalik get dealt to Edmonton as well?

Kings were set to trade O'Sullivan to Carolina for Williams. Edmonton then agreed to send Cole to Carolina for O'Sullivan until word leaked that LA was getting Williams. The Oilers then backed out of their end of the deal since they preferred Williams. To get Edmonton back in, Carolina sent them their 2nd rounder while LA gave up a 2nd rounder to Carolina (effective net result was the Kings kicking in an extra 2nd). Later that day, Edmonton would then send Carolina's 2nd rounder to Buffalo for Kotalik. And on the same day, Buffalo then sent that pick to Toronto for Dominic Moore.

In HF proposal form:

Edmonton: LW Patrick O'Sullivan, RW Ales Kotalik
Los Angeles: RW Justin Williams
Carolina: RW Erik Cole, 2nd rounder (LA)
Buffalo: C Dominic Moore
Toronto: 2nd rounder (Carolina)

BritSabre 02-16-2012 04:19 AM

July 3 2003. Deal between Colorado Buffalo and Calgary. Ballard for Reinprecht, then flipped with Warrener for Drury and Begin.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan 02-16-2012 05:40 AM

i cant remeber the exact detail but a couple years ago some team wanted to sign an ufa and needed its pick back in order to meet the condtions of the compensation... so not a true 3-way trade but illustrates the point that some complicated deals do occasionally happen just like all the whacky proposals we see here

and on a greater note... us posters here make a propsal and 99% of everyone says how it will never happen and how bad it is for team A or team B {or even team C}

then those same negative nellies comment on real trades and say general manager of team A got ripped off or general manager of team B needs to be fired for making such a stupid trade

so all we really learn is that a hell of a lot of posters here that talk very authorative how impossible/improbable all of our fantasy suggestions are from ever happening... also think all the real trades that take place should have remainded only fantasies themselves too

and at the end of the day... real nhl gms job is to discuss trades often. i dare say if a real nhl gm doesnt discuss at least 100 trades a year then he is being incompetent and negligent at his job. of course, he will never do 100 trades in a single year. at most.. 5-6 trades...

so 90+% of all real trade discussions will never ever ever ever happen. they are still real rumors, but they will never happen. So if someone proposeas 100 trades and only 1 of them happens... he is actually as accurate as a real nhl gm is trying to make real nhl real trades

i think people here need to lighten up and see reality for what it is. this forum is only here as a potential source of entertainment and education. fantasy trade proposals are always only fantasy trade proposals. they should be accepted as such

trade rumors are never any better then fantasy trade proposals cause almost no trade rumors ever happen as rumored. my fantasy proposals are every bit as accurate as any insiders rumors are cause i can actually see what one team needs and another team is offering and that constitutes a real trade rumor if the gms of the 2 teams arent completely incompetent. if i can see it.. they sure as heck saw it too.

so if rick nash is available.. then i know peter chiarlli called up and asked about him. and i know columbus would have asked about seguin and rask among other names. so if any 'isnider' said columbus and boston discussed nash for seguin then im 100% sure that it is a real legitimate trade rumor

it still has almost no chance in hell of happening... imo... but thats how real rumors work. in fact a real nhl gm is actually forbidden by league bylaws from interferring with players under contract to other teams... so even if some nhl gm wanted to ever release his real intentions ahead of time to us... he is forbidden to do so.

so deal with it people... any rumors that we hear are either planted with intentional purpose to somehow achieve a purpose... or are leaked by some wannabe who isnt the actual decesion maker themselves and probably is on some ego rush to feel self important making that his top priroity over any actual fear of being 'accurate' with his info or not.

we love to be entertained here.. and if we find rumors entertaining then soak it up like i do. and if we find proposals to be a fun debate topic then debate... but be in good humor cause taking this stuff serious makes us the idiot... not the proposal itself.

none of us are actual gms... and all we are really able to do here is make an attempt to have a little fun with people that we are hoping to have fun with

so try your damnest to stay away from commnenting in threads where all you can add to the process is to crap and harp on stuff you really have no authority on yourself. and show restraint... avoid threads that make you want to be the negative bucket of rain on parade here of others.

thats what i do... i avoid commenting unless i can take a positive spin on things. so i happen to like 3 way proposals. they do sometimes happen. and i often will make comments on the proposals here if i feel there is logical issues to be debated.

bring on more 3 way proposals is my vote... but try to defend them when you do... and try like real gms to keep cap in mind.. and team needs... and ntc and etc etc

cause absolute nonsensical proposals dont make anyone here have any fun

Chris Phifer 02-16-2012 09:54 AM

I can't remember the details but wasn't the Brad Boyes/Owen Nolan deal a 3 way trade between Boston, Toronto and San Jose?
Toronto got Nolan, Boston got Brad Boyes and I forget what San Jose got.

grits207 02-16-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IKilledThePromQueen (Post 44244991)
I can't remember the details but wasn't the Brad Boyes/Owen Nolan deal a 3 way trade between Boston, Toronto and San Jose?
Toronto got Nolan, Boston got Brad Boyes and I forget what San Jose got.

Boyes was traded to San Jose a year before he was traded to Boston. The trade to Boston was a 3 way trade. Boston got Boyes and Andy Delmore, San Jose got Curtis Brown and Buffalo got Jeff Jillson.

Lonewolfe2015 02-16-2012 10:44 AM

Montreal/Calgary/Los Angeles, was announced as a 3-way trade at the draft table if I remember correctly. Tanguay/Cammalleri and a 1st exchanging hands.

If you add Anaheim in for when Los Angeles sent the Flames 1st to the Ducks to get the 12th overall, it becomes a 4-way and then Buffalo who moved the 13th to get the 12th would make it a 5-way.

Come to think about it... that was a really exciting and active draft day.

jameswrjobe53 02-16-2012 02:12 PM

"three-way deal that sent Kirk Muller to the Maple Leafs, Martin Straka and Bryan Berard to the New York Islanders and Wade Redden and Damian Rhodes to the Ottawa Senators on January 23, 1996"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Rhodes)

khennig16* 02-16-2012 02:21 PM

this is kinda of a three way trade:
Pens got
Alexander Ponikarovsky
leafs got
Luca Caputi
NJ 5 round pick
Devils got
Martin Skoula

Pens gave up
Luca Caputi
Martin Skoula