HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Big Rig Brew Pub (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1108949)

Ohhh Franco 02-16-2012 02:09 PM

Big Rig Brew Pub
 
Rumor has it that Chris Phillips is jumping in to the restaurant world. He'll be opening Big Rig Brew Pub this Spring at the corner of Iris and Greenbank.

Let's hope his focus doesnt sway from his on ice duties though......

saskriders 02-16-2012 02:13 PM

Good to see, looks like he is interested in being part of the community for years after he retires

BonkTastic 02-16-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco (Post 44261517)
Rumor has it that Chris Phillips is jumping in to the restaurant world. He'll be opening Big Rig Brew Pub this Spring at the corner of Iris and Greenbank.

Let's hope his focus doesnt sway from his on ice duties though......

Like... at the entrance to the huge new IKEA? Where the old "Biftheque" steak house used to be?

Because that's a good idea. Seriously. There's so much traffic around IKEA, it's very hard for businesses to do poorly in that spot. Back when I was in university (the first time), I worked for the Big Blue Box, and we used to go to Montana's for beers afterwards (because it was right across the parking lot). They made LOTS of money at that location based on IKEA employees themselves, haha.

Rent might be high, but I can't see a pub with a good business plan failing in that spot.

ChocolateLeclaire 02-16-2012 02:20 PM

I'm more interested in Kuba's Tube Steaks™ venture.

Legend Killer 02-16-2012 02:21 PM

Seems like he wants to take all the customers from IKEA...

There has been a Milestone's and a Montana's there for years so I assume a Pub will do well in that general area...

Minister of Offence 02-16-2012 02:21 PM

Love that. The perks of keeping players around for a long time.

Wouldn't be shocked if this is his last contract either.

Zorf 02-16-2012 02:23 PM

Pretty sure this isn't his first forray into the bar/restaurant industry. Didn't he own a bar in Kanata for a while a few years ago? I thought he had one in Kanata Centrum for a bit.

Ohhh Franco 02-16-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorf (Post 44262419)
Pretty sure this isn't his first forray into the bar/restaurant industry. Didn't he own a bar in Kanata for a while a few years ago? I thought he had one in Kanata Centrum for a bit.

Pretty sure he was a partner in Karma Lounge which was next door to Baton Rouge in the Centrum.

topshelfie 02-16-2012 02:32 PM

Maybe it's going where Le Beefteque used to be?

starling 02-16-2012 02:35 PM

Doesn't Konopka own a pub somewhere in Ottawa?

Legend Killer 02-16-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco (Post 44262625)
Pretty sure he was a partner in Karma Lounge which was next door to Baton Rouge in the Centrum.

Really? I never knew that...

BonkTastic 02-16-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco (Post 44262625)
Pretty sure he was a partner in Karma Lounge which was next door to Baton Rouge in the Centrum.

I never went in (because I'm over 30, which is certified "geezer" status these days), but that is possibly the worst location ever. Sort of tucked away like that on the side of the building, no visibility whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by starling (Post 44263235)
Doesn't Konopka own a pub somewhere in Ottawa?

He used to own a place a stone's throw from Billings Bridge called "Stout Brothers". Had amazing wings when it was open, best in the city IMO. That place turns over every 2 years, though, so I don't think it's a high-traffic place. It was NEVER busy when I went.

Ohhh Franco 02-16-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starling (Post 44263235)
Doesn't Konopka own a pub somewhere in Ottawa?

I know he's in to wine........

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/01/26/...nows-fine-wine

nanuuq 02-16-2012 03:12 PM

that location has had a bit of a roll over as well over the years.
I used to shoot pool there when it was the grape vine. Great Nurses nights :O
Then it became a disco, then a steak house. Dont know if it will be a place
that can succeed..

HappyDude 02-16-2012 03:31 PM

What a ghetto-assed area of the city that is. Lets hope it does better than Spezza's deal "Suede"

Shanny 02-16-2012 05:48 PM

I may have to check this place out on the way to work lol.

Icelevel 02-16-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topshelfie (Post 44263055)
Maybe it's going where Le Beefteque used to be?

yeah, they are building something there now. looks like it could be a pub. not a bad spot for it, but not sure i see it making it long term. guess well have to see how it looks first.

starling 02-16-2012 08:04 PM

Plymouth is outshot badly 14-38 and yet hanging in there 2-2 thanks to Noesen.

PKC* 02-16-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensjersey11 (Post 44264299)
I never went in (because I'm over 30, which is certified "geezer" status these days), but that is possibly the worst location ever. Sort of tucked away like that on the side of the building, no visibility whatsoever.



He used to own a place a stone's throw from Billings Bridge called "Stout Brothers". Had amazing wings when it was open, best in the city IMO. That place turns over every 2 years, though, so I don't think it's a high-traffic place. It was NEVER busy when I went.

I thought he was also an owner at one or several of the Local Heroes. Or am I thinking of someone else?

coladin 02-16-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensjersey11 (Post 44264299)
I never went in (because I'm over 30, which is certified "geezer" status these days), but that is possibly the worst location ever. Sort of tucked away like that on the side of the building, no visibility whatsoever.



He used to own a place a stone's throw from Billings Bridge called "Stout Brothers". Had amazing wings when it was open, best in the city IMO. That place turns over every 2 years, though, so I don't think it's a high-traffic place. It was NEVER busy when I went.

Karma made a killing there for a while. I went there a few times and it was the hotspot in the day.

Sensation 06-01-2012 10:32 PM

Bump. Big Rig Brew Pub opens in 10 days. Taking a trip to visit family in Ottawa/Montreal in 2 weeks, so if anyone goes let me know if it's worth checking out!

Benny FTW 06-01-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBad (Post 50413985)
Bump. Big Rig Brew Pub opens in 10 days. Taking a trip to visit family in Ottawa/Montreal in 2 weeks, so if anyone goes let me know if it's worth checking out!

Will do

John Holmes* 06-01-2012 11:25 PM

Following in the footsteps of the original Sens crap defenseman...Brad Marsh.

Fenix Rises 2026 06-02-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holmes (Post 50415325)
Following in the footsteps of the original Sens crap defenseman...Brad Marsh.

You still got it, John Holmes. Still got it.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...-i_oM1AZ969nnA

Senator67s 06-08-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starling (Post 44286765)
Plymouth is outshot badly 14-38 and yet hanging in there 2-2 thanks to Noesen.

This just in from the "Out of Left Field" dept.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.