HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Breaking the ice? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=110976)

Infensus 10-29-2004 06:11 AM

Breaking the ice?

Even if they are talking through the press - that are talking...

Link

True Blue 10-29-2004 08:30 AM

Nothing that gives any melting of ice

NHLPA still saying that there will be no cap and Bettman essentially saying they are still looking for a partner (one that will ONLY agree to his terms). At this point, I am ready to curse both the players and owners. But, Bettman will always have a special place in hell. Right next to SAviour Glen. Bettman is the only commisioner/caretaker of ANY major sport to have orchestrated 2 lockouts. Not to mention the fact that what kind of a friggin' league institiutes 2 lockouts within 10 years? And if this friggin' deal is so bad that it merited a lockout, then why was it extended within these 10 years? Just does not make ANY sense. And weren't the owners crowing about their "victory" after the last lockout?
May Bettman develop a painfull boil that will not allow him to sit comfortably for the rest of his life.

Pearl Necklace 10-29-2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
May Bettman develop a painfull boil that will not allow him to sit comfortably for the rest of his life.

Easy there killer. I think the story was titled, "Breaking the Ice", not melting it.

True Blue 10-29-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl Necklace
Easy there killer. I think the story was titled, "Breaking the Ice", not melting it.

I do not consider taking shots at each other through the media as any type of positive signs. The ice is as strong as ever. How can any break it when Bettman does not even acknowledge that he is the one who has to make the next offer? Or does he still think that the players need proper time for reflection?

rnyquist 10-29-2004 12:07 PM

but see here's the thing, there's 20+ players per team and only 30 owners. We've already had 1 owner speak out and 10-15 players so even right then the percentages are still not showing any breaking. If Linden or Jagr or someone very high up speaks then I might consider the ice to be breaking, but until then, not a chance, its just a couple people who are asked to comment,comment and they're naturally frustrated so they're likely to say something even semi negative

Fletch 10-29-2004 12:56 PM

You're right, nyrqst...

but this is predictable (on the players side). We ran a poll in here asking who will break first, and I believe the majority said players. The very reason is that there are so many players making less than $1.8 million (likely more than who are making more than $1.8 milion as the >$5 million tends to skew the results a bit). These guys haven't made their hit just yet, or may never because they're third or fourth liners making a very good salary, but not even a million in many instances. This is something the NHL counted on, but I think they thought the magnitude would be a bit greater at this point.

The owners, on the other hand, are sometimes billionaires, or owners of conglomerates, and while they do not like to be losing money, have a lot of other items to 'tend to than hockey.

And to TB's point (I think)...I really haven't seen anybody be really tough with Bettman, and ask the questions that need to be asked. And I wonder if the league-wide accounting report doesn't include individual teams on purpose. I assume public opinion would change a bit if they saw it really wasn't the Calgarys, Vancouvers, and Edmontons losing money hand-over-fist, rather it was the Rangers, Chicago and St. Louis.