HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ryan White's upside (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1110143)

Aspirine 02-17-2012 08:28 PM

Ryan White's upside

As some of you may have noticed, I am not a fanboy of the toughness concept, but Ryan White kinda caught me offguard. He hits and fights, that's a given, but am I the only one seeing more to his game than this?
His skating looks pretty good, his constant hustling forces opposing defenders to speed up their plays, which leads more often than not to turnovers in our favor. His passing game is smart and he seems to enjoy taking shots from any angle.
Long story short, the more I see him play, the more I suspect he could bloom into more than a 4th line goon/grinder.
Unreasonable expectations?

Blind Gardien 02-17-2012 08:52 PM

Not unreasonable in the least. He wasn't considered a toughguy at all when drafted. He was a creative player in junior. Gritty, but not so aggressive. He has good potential to be a 10-15 goal IMHO. Mike Keane-like, say (though without any peak 60-pt seasons in the modern NHL). Adding the aggressive toughness to his game was a good idea for his pro career. But the real breakthrough for him has been adding some extra quickness to his game. That extra jump he seems to have now is the real key, what separates career minor leaguers from guys who can play in the NHL. I'm amazed by how involved he has looked after the long layoff. Great late start to his season so far.

InglewoodJack 02-17-2012 09:02 PM

I see him as a Josh Gorges, forward version. Sounds weird, but Gorges is a:
low talent (NHL-wise), high effort guy
2nd/bottom pairing guy, but his heart and effort make him a more than suitable replacement on the top pairing when needed.
Isn't afraid to get rough.
Isn't relied on for his offence, but he can make it happen once in a while, and definitely isn't an offensive non-factor.
Leader
etc.

I see Ryan White like that, as in that bottom six forward, but one of the best at what he does. Maybe 15 goals 45 points in his career year, but he can be that guy who fans remember fondly decades later as that really reliable, unflashy player who was never a liability, and brought his game face every game.

andy28 02-17-2012 09:19 PM

White played an awesome game tonight. Beautiful assist, almost set up a second the exact same way. Gritty, smart player, knows his role.

Madam Kadri 02-17-2012 09:24 PM

He contributes on the forecheck and if he develops on the penalty kill, he would be force of a bottom liner(and there is a distinction between bad and good bottom liners).

Watsatheo 02-17-2012 09:30 PM

He made some nice set up passes for Kostitsyn. I don't think he'll be some sort of top 6 player but 20-30 point 3rd liner is very possible.

Dr_Hook 02-17-2012 09:32 PM

Really happy he's finally back ! He is looking awasome on the forecheck game. Feisty, physical, annoying, with some offensive awareness ; there is a lot to like !

Heard him talk about prefering (or was it liking the challenge of) playing the shut down center role ; I see him as more of a 3rd line winger.

If he grew to become a very good PKer, he'd be an outstanding asset for our team !

Aspirine 02-17-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 44348017)
He made some nice set up passes for Kostitsyn. I don't think he'll be some sort of top 6 player but 20-30 point 3rd liner is very possible.

That's pretty much what I feel. If he turns out to be a half-Lucic 15/15 PF riding the third line, I wouldn't be THAT surprised.

SnapVirus 02-17-2012 09:42 PM

10-15 pts a year. 4th-3rd liner with speed.

MasterDecoy 02-17-2012 09:44 PM

he's already a useful player, but if he ever develops PK abilities, he'd be our travis moen and that a GOOD thing

Et le But 02-17-2012 09:44 PM

He's definitely more than a guy there to fight. The way he has been playing I don't see why he can't develop into a Moen like 3rd line grinder who can chip in points.

kassian 02-17-2012 09:54 PM

We need about two other similar players (those who can drop the gloves, energize the team with their physical play, etc.) You can just see how positively it affects the rest of the team.

Adding similar toughness along with improving the PP should be the two main goals this off-season.

donghabs98 02-17-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 44344205)
Not unreasonable in the least. He wasn't considered a toughguy at all when drafted. He was a creative player in junior. Gritty, but not so aggressive. He has good potential to be a 10-15 goal IMHO. Mike Keane-like, say (though without any peak 60-pt seasons in the modern NHL). Adding the aggressive toughness to his game was a good idea for his pro career. But the real breakthrough for him has been adding some extra quickness to his game. That extra jump he seems to have now is the real key, what separates career minor leaguers from guys who can play in the NHL. I'm amazed by how involved he has looked after the long layoff. Great late start to his season so far.

ya i see some keane in him too

one thing i like about his game is that he steps up for his teammates which is always a good thing in my books

NewHabsEra* 02-17-2012 09:56 PM

Its refreshing to see some hard work and gritty kids added to the line-up.. Kids like White and Leblanc are playing the right way..

Myron Gaines* 02-17-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsEra (Post 44350079)
Its refreshing to see some hard work and gritty kids added to the line-up.. Kids like White and Leblanc are playing the right way..

The white way

Aspirine 02-17-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsEra (Post 44350079)

Leblanc's another animal, you can feel that whenever he's on the ice he's got the win in mind. Frankly, I've got high expectations for him, I see a player la Pacioretty going forward (it may be unrealistic, but I know he himself sets the bar high).

SouthernHab 02-17-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blame it on PK (Post 44347539)
He contributes on the forecheck and if he develops on the penalty kill, he would be force of a bottom liner(and there is a distinction between bad and good bottom liners).

This ^^

He was a very effective on the forecheck last year. He actually made Benoit Pouliot look good in several games.:nod:

OneSharpMarble 02-17-2012 10:14 PM

White is the kind of guy who you go to war with so to speak. Gives it all for the team and doesn't back down. I think the other guys can relax when he is around because liberties are less likly to be taken. His play is also strong enough that you don't have to worry about him, he is a perfect 3rd line guy and backbone of the team.

Aurel Joliat 02-17-2012 10:16 PM

Always make great short passes. Never put the team in trouble

I hope you can see that a tough guy can play too !

NewHabsEra* 02-17-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspirine (Post 44350807)
Leblanc's another animal, you can feel that whenever he's on the ice he's got the win in mind. Frankly, I've got high expectations for him, I see a player la Pacioretty going forward (it may be unrealistic, but I know he himself sets the bar high).

Thats what A.Kost lacks, determination and winner attitude, so I wouldnt be surprised to see him get traded at the deadline, I think we have been patient enough with him.. I want to see guys ready to play games, ready to compete and going to the war.. Kids like Leblanc White dont need to be constantly pushed in the back to perform, they have it inside..

Undertakerqc 02-17-2012 10:34 PM

I love this guy. We need to fill the fourth line with players like him. He is a little pitbull. Plays way over his weight class. We missed him badly this year. Is already one of my favorite habs. :yo:

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 02-17-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat (Post 44351051)
Always make great short passes. Never put the team in trouble

I hope you can see that a tough guy can play too !

LOL don't bring in that argument in this thread. We all agreed before that a player who can play our game AND fight is ideal.

Miller Time 02-17-2012 10:50 PM

i think he will be a very good bottom-6 player, and one that can eventually be a solid complementary offensive contributor as well (35-45pts).

he was a very good scorer in the WHL, and that was while also being a guy who struggled with his conditioning... he "coasted" on his talent level.

While he played a pretty intense game, the White we have today is a far more dedicated/committed athlete. Getting drafted in the 3rd round and not making the WJC team, with both being strongly tied to the question marks about his conditioning/commitment, were two things that seemed to have lit a fire under his butt...

With the work ethic he now has, I wouldn't be surprised at all if his offensive skill catches up to the NHL level, allowing him to be much more valuable than a "4th line grinder".

time will tell...

SB164 02-17-2012 10:57 PM

He fought Adam McQuaid in his first game back. Brass balls I tell ya!

hogtownhabsfan* 02-17-2012 11:05 PM

I love me Ryan White. While I think on a regular team he could be a great 3rd liner, I really like him as a 4th liner on this team. Really seems to me like we are being built, more out of necessity due to what we have in the organization, as a team that will roll with 3 2nd lines, and 1 3rd line, rather than the traditional 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, 4th line deal. We will help make up for the lack of a true 1st line with a great goalie and great group of defenders.

I also really like the idea of White, Geoffrion, and Schultz making up that 4th line. I think a Geoffrion-White-Schultz line could be one of the best all around bottom 6 lines in hockey. geoffrion really complements the other two guys with his skating, and all three guys are tough, smart, defensively responsible, and can chip in while White is a tough middleweight, and Schultz could end up the next Shawn Thornton (who I consider the best 4th liner in the NHL).

I truly believe Gauthier is doing a great job retooling this roster into one that will be a contender for years! The future is bright! (just gotta make it through this year...)