HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dolan on WFAN now! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=111057)

in the hall 10-29-2004 02:10 PM

Dolan on WFAN now!

wow what a shocker, the guy came out of his cave and he did not disapoint with all his "uhh duhh ahh um"

in the hall 10-29-2004 02:13 PM

so far he's only been asked about Marv Albert, said he was let go because of economics and did say they asked Marv not to characterize the team as a bad team, he can be critical if he wants but fair in his criticism, said Marv not once went down to see the team in person, at practice or in an interview etc

I actually agree with what he said about Marv, and could believe it

but again as Joe Beningo says, if this guy wasn't born with a silver spoon he'd be packing aisles at pathmark right now

John Flyers Fan 10-29-2004 02:17 PM

Yes, he's in studio. Apparently they've been trying to get him on for over a year, and he finally agreed to come on.

I believe that he's scheduled for an hour, and that no topic is considered off-limits.

in the hall 10-29-2004 02:36 PM

they're going to discuss Glenn Sather next!!!!

tune in fellas

John Flyers Fan 10-29-2004 02:45 PM

Dolan just threw Neil Smith under the bus.

Just by listening him talk, you can tell that he doesn't have a clue about hockey.

Calling Hartford a "AAA" team, like it's baseball.

Also he can't speak or think on his feet at all.

in the hall 10-29-2004 02:47 PM

****! he just made a reference to HF!!!

Larry Melnyk 10-29-2004 02:57 PM

Curious about how that dipstick thru Neil Sith under the bus.....yeah the guy deserved to be fired when he was (or before), but damn if he didn't bring a Stanley Cup to the New York Rangers thru some great, smart moves.....What the hell has the Buffoon from Ban-f-f-f-f and d-bag Dolan accomplished...? Freaking moron....

John Flyers Fan 10-29-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Curious about how that dipstick thru Neil Sith under the bus.....yeah the guy deserved to be fired when he was (or before), but damn if he didn't bring a Stanley Cup to the New York Rangers thru some great, smart moves.....What the hell has the Buffoon from Ban-f-f-f-f and d-bag Dolan accomplished...? Freaking moron....

When talking about Sather ... he went on and on and on about how when Sather took over the team:

Had no prospects.
All veterans in Hartford.
No scouting system.
No plan.
Essentially accused Smith of essentially throwing darts on draft day.
Even if we did draft a decent player they were traded away quickly.

xander 10-29-2004 03:10 PM

dolan's up there, along with donald sterling, for the title of worst owner in sports. Everything the guy touches goes to hell. And then he has the audacity to blame others, I find him infuriating. I don't know what I would do if he bought a peice of the mets.

xander 10-29-2004 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
When talking about Sather ... he went on and on and on about how when Sather took over the team:

Had no prospects.
No scouting system.
No plan.

oh, yeah, and cablevision's 'Win now at any cost' mantra had nothing to do with that.

True Blue 10-29-2004 03:26 PM

Quote:

No plan.

Obviously trading for Lindros & Bure was part of a master plan. The same master plan that traded for Jagr (when defense was clearly the problem) and then holding a firesale 2 weeks latter. Must have been Neil Smith's plan that had the Rangers playing a system of hockey that had about as much of a chance to succeed in today's NHL as Custer's did at Little Big Horn.

David Puddy 10-29-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Dolan just threw Neil Smith under the bus.

Just by listening him talk, you can tell that he doesn't have a clue about hockey.

Calling Hartford a "AAA" team, like it's baseball.

Look at this then: ECHL

They call themselves the "Premier 'AA' Hockey League."

in the hall 10-29-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Puddy
Look at this then: ECHL

They call themselves the "Premier 'AA' Hockey League."

putz not even diehard hockey fans could tell you that and AAA is commonly refered to for baseball minor leagues and he clearly and so obviously fugged that up and yes he is absolutely clueless about hockey

he did not name one player because he couldn't, just a complete moron

NYR469 10-29-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Had no prospects.
No scouting system.
No plan.

and sather addressed those problems by trading away the few decent prospects we had in deals for lindros, bure, and poti...dealt away a 1st round pick, traded away several other picks and signing countless overpaid, underacheiving free agents...

i agree 100% with how bad the system was when he took over, but WE knew that the system was that bad in 1997. so why did it take sather 4 years to figure it out?? if they knew back then that it was that bad, then the appropriate response would have been to blow it up back in 2000 or 2001 and blamed it all on neil saying that he left it beyond repair and they have to rebuild. but they didn't do that because they thought they could throw a few bandaids on it and fix everything, it was only after they failed miserable 4 years in a row did they turn around and point fingers at neil smith...there is not a single player left from neil smith (everyone has either been acquired by glen or re-signed by glen) and the other there are very few staff holdovers. so this is 100% glen's team and they still s-ck, how is that neil's fault?

and the only reason that sather doesn't 'throw darts' on draft day is because he gave total control to renney & maloney. sather has absolutely no clue when it comes to the draft, so he is only avoiding doing what neil did because he has someone else doing his job.

John Flyers Fan 10-29-2004 03:45 PM

I'm just the messenger.

I'm not saying Dolan is right, just letting you know what he's saying.

xander 10-29-2004 03:46 PM

Quote:

I'm just the messenger.

we know, don't worry. :)

True Blue 10-29-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

I'm just the messenger.

No one is killing the messanger. For a breif moment we forgot about Bettman and remembered how much we all like and admire Sather and Dolan.

Son of Steinbrenner 10-29-2004 06:16 PM

I kinda have a new respect for dolan because at least he was honest today. Lets face it Neil smith didn't make the playoffs for 3 years before he was fired and there was 3 decent prospects when he was canned. Malhotra (let go by two teams) brendl (can't even play in Europe) lundmark ( :lol )

if Neil smith was so great how come nobody hires him. don't get me wrong i respect with Neil smith did in 94 but his record and teams afterwards is pretty bad. its funny the same people that claim smith

i was sather biggest fan last season i do think he should have been fired but hey the guy is here and the future looks pretty bright. i happen to think Maloney is really running things right now and sather has taken a back-seat infact it wouldn't surprise me if dolan kept sather because he wanted an experienced guy representing the rangers during the lockout. don't be shocked if sather steps down as gm and names maloney gm after the lockout is settled.

Btw I didn't take sather 4 years to figure out we had a problems lets face it the Neil smith draft record from 94 to when he was fired was awful compared to what sather has done now.

xander 10-29-2004 06:26 PM

True, but why was the cupboard so bare? Throughout they're ownership of the garden cablevision has mandated a win now at the cost of the future policiy. It took seven years of loosing to make them see that there had to be a change. And there still stringing the knicks along in mediocrity.

I think it's pretty hypocritical to mandate a win now policy and then fire the gm becouse you don't have any youth.

Ed Giacomin 10-29-2004 06:40 PM

If you go to wfan.com, you can here the whole interview. The first part is ~45 minutes and there is a second part. Look under mike and the dog.

Brooklyn Ranger 10-29-2004 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
I kinda have a new respect for dolan because at least he was honest today. Lets face it Neil smith didn't make the playoffs for 3 years before he was fired and there was 3 decent prospects when he was canned. Malhotra (let go by two teams) brendl (can't even play in Europe) lundmark ( :lol )

if Neil smith was so great how come nobody hires him. don't get me wrong i respect with Neil smith did in 94 but his record and teams afterwards is pretty bad. its funny the same people that claim smith

i was sather biggest fan last season i do think he should have been fired but hey the guy is here and the future looks pretty bright. i happen to think Maloney is really running things right now and sather has taken a back-seat infact it wouldn't surprise me if dolan kept sather because he wanted an experienced guy representing the rangers during the lockout. don't be shocked if sather steps down as gm and names maloney gm after the lockout is settled.

Btw I didn't take sather 4 years to figure out we had a problems lets face it the Neil smith draft record from 94 to when he was fired was awful compared to what sather has done now.

Funny, I seem to remember 4 young players on the roster who all were acquired or drafted by Smith. A couple of Czechs, a Swede (didn't amount to much I guess, he was the last player picked in his draft year) and some American kid out of college.

And let's not forgot how many "great" prospects there were in the organization before March of 2004. It's not like Sather has been stockpiling picks and prospects for the last 4 years. Or for that matter would he have lots of people knocking on his door demanding his services if he had been fired last season.

At best, the jury is still out on our Fearless Leader.

NYR2 10-30-2004 12:41 AM

I happened to be in the car with my mom when he came on the radio today and I said to her, "Listen to how stupid this guy sounds." And he didn't fail me lol. How many times did the man say "umm uhh"? I lost count after about 5 minutes. I loved how Mike and the Dog really gave it to him when it came to hockey, he deserved it.

I give the guy credit though for not only getting on the radio but actually going to the studio. It's about time he faced the music that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
but again as Joe Beningo says, if this guy wasn't born with a silver spoon he'd be packing aisles at pathmark right now

I love Beningo lol. He's so blunt, it's great.

Kovy274Hart 10-30-2004 01:24 AM

LOL... Dolan said exactly what I figured he would about our team's situation. Nothing earth shattering. I just hope their plan stays in place and the younger plays turn into decent NHLers. Cause if that's what happens, I am content.

And yes, Joltin' Joe Beningo is a riot :joker: .

ATLANTARANGER* 10-30-2004 10:28 AM

I love how some people view the past with rose colored glasses!

I, like all Ranger fans, was on cloud 9 when Smith made those draft day deals. Then I went to the opening of Phillips Arena here in Atlanta when the Thrashers played the NYR's in an exhibition game. Took the whole family and I almost died when I saw Brendl & Lundmark for the 1st time. Brendl could not skate, Lundmark was like a twig and was easily pushed off the puck. My kids saw my expression and asked what was wrong. It was obvious to me from the 1st look what was wrong.

In a strong draft we had managed to trade away our future goalie, a quality #2 center and a quality defensive forward who excelled at PKing. All 3 of these prospects would be sorely missing in the coming years. The drafting of Malhorta, Brendl and Lundmark were out and out disasters. In a strong draft year in which you have the #4 & #9 picks you end up with those 2?

Those 3 picks validate exactly what Dolan said. The cupboard was bare even though it appeared tobe stocked. The shelves may have had something on them, only problem was the boxes were empty. If anyone thinks that that is not proof positive that our scouting system had major flaws, excuse me while I laugh at you.

Look at the opposite side of the equation. Fans are excited about the number of prospects we have. Look at how many of them are LATE ROUND PICKS, either drafted by Sather or acquired in trades. How do you think that happens? Luck, sure.
Luck always plays a role. But, you have to identify the player and luck has nothing to do with that.

Look I'm not exonerating Sather for making some mistakes on the big club. He has. But please tell me who the "prospects" we lost in the Bure trade were and just tell me how games they have played in the NHL? I won't ask you for their scoring stats because there ain't any. Anytime you can acquire the premier goal scorer still in his prime you do it. Stop with the John Kerry second guessing and 20/10 hindsight.

While Sather may not be warm and cuddly to the media and not the media darling Smith was, I want a guy who does the whole job. NY is much like Montreal is. The pressure to field a quality team is unmatched in the league. Please don't try and tell me that the same pressure exist in places like NJ or LI where the fan bases combined = about 1/4 of the rangers. He had a dual job to do and while most fans concentrated on the rangers Sather was able to put together an excellent staff both at the minor league level and the scouting department. The last piece unfortunately has been the rangers major team. Some may say he did it backwards. Excuse me but he went about it in the right order. You build from drafting and bring these picks along together. You bite the bullet on the big squad while trying to sneak in a playoff appearance.

The same fans who complain about the lack of continuity on the big squad fail to acknowledge that the rangers as an organization are going about it the right way in places like HArtford and Charlotte. Fans talk about systems and how the Rangers on the big squad don't play it and bye into it. They are corect when they say that they don't have a shared common experience in the organization. That my friends is called rebuilding. Look what is going on in Hartford and now in Charlotte. McGill & Fotiu are doing an excellent job. Look at the quality bench people they brought in this year for Renney. Look at the quality people onthe scouting staff.

Dolan writes the checks. I for one am glad that he is clueless. As much as I like the fact that George spends money. When he gets overly involved you see Yankee teams like you have the last couple of years. Can anyone say 1980's deja vu all over again?

Look forward not backwards. Losers second guess people who have to make tough decisions.

John Flyers Fan 10-30-2004 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER

In a strong draft we had managed to trade away our future goalie, a quality #2 center and a quality defensive forward who excelled at PKing. All 3 of these prospects would be sorely missing in the coming years. The drafting of Malhorta, Brendl and Lundmark were out and out disasters. In a strong draft year in which you have the #4 & #9 picks you end up with those 2?

The 1999 draft where Brendl and lundmark were selected has turned out to be anything but strong. In fact so far it's been a brutal first round.

Martin Havlat, picked 26th is the closest thing to being a star.

The top 15 of the draft has yet to produce a first line player, top pairing defenseman or starting goalie: Stefan, Sedin, Sedin, Brendl, Connolly, Finley, Beech, Pyatt, Lundmark, Mezei, Saprykin, Shvidki, Rita, Jillson and Kelman were the top 15.