HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gomez isn't the problem, the NHL is (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1110743)

Coach Brisebois* 02-18-2012 02:43 PM

Gomez isn't the problem, the NHL is
 
Scott Gomez never lost his game, it just hasn't translated to the new NHL. His best years (statistically) were pre-lockout and that year where they called everything right after it. both styles of play, slow and wide-open, rewarded speedy playmaking centers (and creating rebounds by bouncing the puck off the goalies chest). unfortunately for Gomez, that no longer works, or at least not for him. he should be moved to a different role, either PMD or RW. while he may not be able to stand up physically to the first role, his game would be suited to it; LW would keep the puck to the outside when gaining the zone and put him in a playmaker role, wheras putting him on the right wing would force him to shoot more.

overlords 02-18-2012 02:44 PM

Did you just suggest converting gomez to defense?

onice 02-18-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 44379825)
Did you just suggest converting gomez to defense?

Well, he's a standup comedian and he wants to try out his new material on us.

WhiskeySeven 02-18-2012 02:46 PM

Are you freaking serious?! Are you kidding me?

This is enough. Gomez is underperforming - that's that. Enough of these shenanigans.

SeriousHabs 02-18-2012 02:51 PM

OP doesn't understand. He is right in saying that Gomez isn't to blame, but he fails to understand why. The problem is not Gomez, the problem stems from the laws of physics. If the laws of physics were different in a way that would make Gomez better, Gomez would be better. It's so obvious.

Gary320 02-18-2012 02:52 PM

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

AntonCH 02-18-2012 02:57 PM

Gomez needs to find creativity - a little too predictable
In order to do that i think he needs to get a prescription for Glaucoma

beowulf 02-18-2012 03:12 PM

Sorry but that makes little to no sense. Gomez's game has suffered because of Gomez not the way the game is played these days.

Shabutie 02-18-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf (Post 44381391)
Sorry but that makes little to no sense. Gomez's game has suffered because of Gomez not the way the game is played these days.

I think Gomez play has suffered because there are far more mobile dmen now than there were then. Also, the ones who arent know how to close the amount of space and Gomez doesnt drive the net, he plays the parimeter.

RoyBoyCoy 02-18-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois (Post 44379739)
unfortunately for Gomez, that no longer works, or at least not for him. he should be moved to a different role, either PMD or RW. while he may not be able to stand up physically to the first role, his game would be suited to it

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwb8yfSkdX1r45byx.gif

Hackett 02-18-2012 03:31 PM

There was a play last night where gomez had the puck at the side of the net and had the time and space to take it to the front. Instead, he just stood at the side of the net, looking for someone to dish to, and the play turned out to be harmless.

I just dont know what he's thinking alot of times.

onice 02-18-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackett (Post 44382477)
I just dont know what he's thinking alot of times.

You know something. Neither does he.

andy28 02-18-2012 03:34 PM

I think it's society.

Corncob 02-18-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 44379825)
Did you just suggest converting gomez to defense?

:laugh::laugh: Wait, maybe he's on the right tracks here. Gomez has demonstrated an uncanny ability to be responsible for the puck not going into the net. Get some goalie pads on him, what's the worst that could happen!?

The Kremelin Wall* 02-18-2012 03:39 PM

I actually think moving Gomez to D for a few games would be hilariously entertaining. Who knows, maybe he'll turn into Rafalski. They look similarly stupid.

WeeBey 02-18-2012 03:41 PM

Gomez' first year in NY was his second best statistically speaking. If there was any truth to your theory he'd have been straight up awful starting in the 06-07 season, but that's not the case.

2010-2011 was his first truly bad season. Until then, he wasn't really bad per se. He just clearly wasn't worth the money he was making. He'll always be compared to the salary he doesn't deserve, but that's not really his fault in my opinion.

Fish on The Sand 02-18-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois (Post 44379739)
Scott Gomez never lost his game, it just hasn't translated to the new NHL. His best years (statistically) were pre-lockout and that year where they called everything right after it. both styles of play, slow and wide-open, rewarded speedy playmaking centers (and creating rebounds by bouncing the puck off the goalies chest). unfortunately for Gomez, that no longer works, or at least not for him. he should be moved to a different role, either PMD or RW. while he may not be able to stand up physically to the first role, his game would be suited to it; LW would keep the puck to the outside when gaining the zone and put him in a playmaker role, wheras putting him on the right wing would force him to shoot more.

statistically Gomez's best years were immediately following the lockout.

onice 02-18-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall (Post 44382961)
I actually think moving Gomez to D for a few games would be hilariously entertaining. Who knows, maybe he'll turn into Rafalski. They look similarly stupid.

And immensely rewarding. Betcha we'd be in place for that top pick by the the middle of March.

HabsFan76 02-18-2012 03:49 PM

I'm actually curious to see how Gomez would fare as a defenseman, just not the NHL level, maybe in the AHL if management sends him down after the season.

Mathradio 02-18-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habtacular (Post 44382909)
:laugh::laugh: Wait, maybe he's on the right tracks here. Gomez has demonstrated an uncanny ability to be responsible for the puck not going into the net. Get some goalie pads on him, what's the worst that could happen!?

He can't be worse than Bout-d'ail...

Et le But 02-18-2012 04:11 PM

It's society's fault Gomez sucks.

Corncob 02-18-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Et le But (Post 44384841)
It's society's fault Gomez sucks.

Wait, I thought it was Gomez' fault society sucks?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 02-18-2012 04:48 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL I want some of what you're smoking, man :laugh:

habtastic 02-18-2012 04:55 PM

during his suckage, how much time has he spent with Gio?

It seems like they were doing great with Patches last year until the incident and then ever since, Gio and Pleks ended up playing together.

Not saying Gomez's effectiveness has been great, but I think it's a mix of a lot of things. Honestly he's had terrible shooting luck. I think that's starting to change.

Hank Scorpio 02-18-2012 04:56 PM

I think everyone involved is way past trying to figure out what the problem is with Gomez and at the point where they need to focus on creative ways to get rid of him with the least impact to the organization going forward. This has been an ugly situation for everyone involved and it's time to move past it, not dwell on it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.