HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Steve Larmer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=111375)

Robertsson 4-ever 10-31-2004 03:04 PM

Steve Larmer
 
I'm writing an article with this guy, I just want to hear your opinions of him and his play! All answers are appriciated!

Fletch 10-31-2004 03:28 PM

Steady player...
 
think he played in 884 straight games. Gave an honest effort each game. Not a great skater, but a very smart player.

Synergy27 10-31-2004 04:54 PM

A highly underrated player and someone I think played a pivotal role in the Rangers Stanley Cup victory in 1994. He was a complete player, above average in all three zones. There are two things about Larmer that will stick out in my mind forever:

1. Slapshot on a penalty shot ( he scored against Chicago in '94 with the Rangers)

2. If you watch the video of the last few seconds of game 7 vs. the Canucks, a few seconds after Mactavish wins the faceoff that seals the victory you can see Larmer in the background pinning his man against the boards while everyone else is already celebrating. Little things like that make very big differences.

Kluivert4Ever 10-31-2004 05:07 PM

Larmer was one of my favourite players and like others have said, he always gave a honest effort and was every underrated. I think he was a great goalscorer as well who had an excellent shot.

Could use more Steve Larmers on today´s Rangers.

NYFAN 10-31-2004 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
Larmer was one of my favourite players and like others have said, he always gave a honest effort and was every underrated. I think he was a great goalscorer as well who had an excellent shot.

Could use more Steve Larmers on today´s Rangers.

Could use more Larmer type players in the NHL period. Good skill set, and a bigger heart than he should have had. Always gave that extra effort when on the ice, and very aware of the situation during the game.

Jackson Ranger 10-31-2004 09:42 PM

One of the smartest players to play the game. Didn't have a lot of talent but made up for it with heart and brains. A player you need on your team, after the "stars", if you're going to be successful.

One of my favorite ex-Rangers also.

AG9NK35DT8* 10-31-2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
I'm writing an article with this guy, I just want to hear your opinions of him and his play! All answers are appriciated!

Awesome hockey player, very good goal scorer, smart all over the ice and a hard worker and was great to watch especially when in NY, what else could you say about him.Steve Larmer type players are always welcome in NYC and the NHL.

pld459666 10-31-2004 10:54 PM

One of the most respected players in the game
 
simply because he didn't take nights off, never went beyond that imagineary threshold in playign his man, always made the right decision with and without the puck.

A very very underrated player offensively, was 2nd on team in scoring 6 times (5 times) behind an in his prime Denis Savard, led the Hawks in scoring 3 straight years and posted 9 30+ goal seasons.

Kovy274Hart 10-31-2004 11:16 PM

From what I saw of him, he was one of the best defensive forwards, period. What a great two-way hockey player with awesome hockey sense. Very underrated.

007 11-01-2004 01:00 AM

More on that penalty shot, perhaps my alltime favourite hockey moment. Everyone knew it was the last game Steve Larmer, long-time Blackhawks legend, was ever going to play in the old Chicago Stadium. When the penalty shot was called, the crowd got louder; it really sounded like they wanted Larmer to score against their own team. Larmer took the puck and skated right in on Belfour, and then, when he was between the circles, he just wound up and let rip a huge slapshot that Belfour could do nothing to stop.

I think that one event really describes Steve Larmer really well: this guy was too tough to deke. At a time when I was just starting to be a hockey fan, he represented toughness and grit in the sport to me. He wasn't just a tough defensive forward, though, he put up points, and as I recall, he was a pretty good passer.

And he always chewed bubble-gum during the games.

007 11-01-2004 01:04 AM

My 300th post and it's about Steve Larmer and that penalty shot: excellent! :banana:

Still trying to find video of that moment . . . gotta remember to ask on the Blackhawks boards.

Robertsson 4-ever 11-01-2004 03:23 AM

Thanks for all this!

If someone finds a text about that penalty shot, let me know ;)

007 11-01-2004 12:23 PM

I don't know of any text descriptions of the penalty shot, but the game was on January 16, 1994, according to www.hockeygoalies.org (Ed Belfour was the unfortunate victim).

For fun, I found this great description of Larmer on the Sporting News website:

Steve Larmer
winger; 1980-81 through 1994-95.

Teams: Chicago, New York Rangers.

Career totals (15 seasons):

Regular season: 1006 games, 441 goals, 571 assists, 1012 points, 532 penalty minutes.
Playoffs: 140 games, 56 goals, 75 assists, 131 points, 89 penalty minutes.

Pluses: One Stanley Cup (1994, Rangers); 9 career hat tricks; TSN all-rookie team, 1982-83; Calder Trophy, 1982-83; NHL all-rookie team 1982-83; two All-Star games (1990, 1991).

Minuses: Good question.

Larry Wigge says: A solid up-and-down winger, no one worked harder than Larmer. He was famous for finding openings around the net and converting slick backdoor Denis Savard passes in Chicago. Larmer had one of the quickest releases in his era. He finally won a Stanley Cup with the Rangers in 1994.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives...omination.html

Davisian 11-01-2004 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27
2. If you watch the video of the last few seconds of game 7 vs. the Canucks, a few seconds after Mactavish wins the faceoff that seals the victory you can see Larmer in the background pinning his man against the boards while everyone else is already celebrating. Little things like that make very big differences.

That moment right there summed up Steve Larmer. Never stopped until it was over, truly over.


That, and he sure seemed to enjoy a big ass wad of Bubble gum, instead of a mouthguard.

Kovy274Hart 11-01-2004 07:20 PM

Looking at his numbers, is it or me or does Larmer belong in the Hall of Fame?

AG9NK35DT8* 11-03-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007
More on that penalty shot, perhaps my alltime favourite hockey moment. Everyone knew it was the last game Steve Larmer, long-time Blackhawks legend, was ever going to play in the old Chicago Stadium. When the penalty shot was called, the crowd got louder; it really sounded like they wanted Larmer to score against their own team. Larmer took the puck and skated right in on Belfour, and then, when he was between the circles, he just wound up and let rip a huge slapshot that Belfour could do nothing to stop.

I think that one event really describes Steve Larmer really well: this guy was too tough to deke. At a time when I was just starting to be a hockey fan, he represented toughness and grit in the sport to me. He wasn't just a tough defensive forward, though, he put up points, and as I recall, he was a pretty good passer.

And he always chewed bubble-gum during the games.

What a touching moment, i actually shed a tear. :snide: No , really it was quit touching thanks for the Seventh Heaven moment.

007 11-04-2004 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
What a touching moment, i actually shed a tear. :snide: No , really it was quit touching thanks for the Seventh Heaven moment.

...aaah, nostalgia!

Fletch 11-04-2004 03:33 PM

Great call on the goal, 007...
 
of course one cannot forget that he was iffy for the game because he just had screws put into his wrist not too long ago, all the while breaking his 884 game streak of consecutive games played (I think it was 884 at least).

GentlemanOfLeisure 11-04-2004 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007
More on that penalty shot, perhaps my alltime favourite hockey moment. Everyone knew it was the last game Steve Larmer, long-time Blackhawks legend, was ever going to play in the old Chicago Stadium. When the penalty shot was called, the crowd got louder; it really sounded like they wanted Larmer to score against their own team. Larmer took the puck and skated right in on Belfour, and then, when he was between the circles, he just wound up and let rip a huge slapshot that Belfour could do nothing to stop.

I think that one event really describes Steve Larmer really well: this guy was too tough to deke. At a time when I was just starting to be a hockey fan, he represented toughness and grit in the sport to me. He wasn't just a tough defensive forward, though, he put up points, and as I recall, he was a pretty good passer.

And he always chewed bubble-gum during the games.

Because of him when I was in Junior highschool and Highschool I used to chew gum during all my gym classes. Along with my Bob Probert Mullett!!!!!!! Larmer was 100% class all the way. Pure team guy!

Brooklyn Ranger 11-04-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
of course one cannot forget that he was iffy for the game because he just had screws put into his wrist not too long ago, all the while breaking his 884 game streak of consecutive games played (I think it was 884 at least).

Actually, the problem was a broken finger.

Fletch 11-04-2004 04:26 PM

And he couldn't play because of that?
 
what a whimp!

Brooklyn Ranger 11-04-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
what a whimp!

You try gripping your stick when one of your fingers is sticking out the wrong way!

Also, didn't Stevie lose his consecutive game streak when he sat out the beginning of the season?

Fletch 11-04-2004 04:42 PM

I wasn't sure...
 
if that counted since they made such a big deal of it after the injury, although it may've been prefaced with first time sitting out because of injury.

He came to New York the first week of November that season, correct? I remember freaking out because I saw Richter's name on the news, not realizing it was Barry Richter.

Brooklyn Ranger 11-04-2004 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
if that counted since they made such a big deal of it after the injury, although it may've been prefaced with first time sitting out because of injury.

He came to New York the first week of November that season, correct? I remember freaking out because I saw Richter's name on the news, not realizing it was Barry Richter.

Barry Richter, god what a stiff!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.