HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Katie Strang: Rangers talking contract with Marty Biron (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1115689)

RangerBoy 02-23-2012 03:55 PM

Rangers talking contract with Marty Biron

Quote:

With next Monday's trade deadline looming, both buyers and sellers in the NHL trade market are evaluating this year's class of impending unrestricted free agents. The Rangers have begun discussing a few of their own as well.

The team has had preliminary contract discussions with the camps for both Brandon Prust and goaltender Martin Biron, sources confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...or-prust-biron

JayQueensNY88* 02-23-2012 03:57 PM

2 years at 1.2 per,if not he can walk.

nyrleetch 02-23-2012 03:58 PM

Good. He's a perfect backup.

RangerBoy 02-23-2012 04:00 PM

His agent is Mark Witkin.

KingWantsCup 02-23-2012 04:00 PM

$1M or less for two years and I'm happy.

OverTheCap 02-23-2012 04:01 PM

What?! I thought Chad Johnson was the goalie of the future, now he will never get his chance!

But, seriously, they should definitely re-sign Marty. Solid backup and good locker room guy.

wolfgaze 02-23-2012 04:11 PM

If the cap space is there I'm willing to venture a salary in the $1.5 - $1.75 range (1-2 years).

BlueshirtBlitz 02-23-2012 04:19 PM

Also good.

Glad Slats (or Gorton) is starting to bang out FA deals with our own guys during the season. Want Marty back for the right price, slight raise over his current deal if anything.

Crease 02-23-2012 04:28 PM

Keep as much of this current team together as you can for the next 3 years.

GAGLine 02-23-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 44726353)
If the cap space is there I'm willing to venture a salary in the $1.5 - $1.75 range (1-2 years).

That's too much for a backup.

Inferno 02-23-2012 04:36 PM

Biron has been AWFUL for about 2 months now.

Vitto79 02-23-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay8899 (Post 44725569)
2 years at 1.2 per,if not he can walk.

I think he will be back and these will be the terms.......nice to see them looking to sign up Prust and Biron ,both are obvious resign options so may as well take care of it now

wolfgaze 02-23-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 44727737)
That's too much for a backup.

Going to be hard to keep him around for much less. With the kind of numbers he's putting up this season, he will be a hot commodity come July 1st, I'm sure his agent knows it. If we have the cap space I'm not concerning about overpaying a bit to secure him as our back-up, since it will surely be a 1-2 year deal max.

Rangers Fail 02-23-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 44729161)
Going to be hard to keep him around for much less. With the kind of numbers he's putting up this season, he will be a hot commodity come July 1st, I'm sure his agent knows it. If we have the cap space I'm not concerning about overpaying a bit to secure him as our back-up, since it will surely be a 1-2 year deal max.

Those numbers have started to fall-fast.

Inferno 02-23-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 44729161)

numbers?

In his last 6 starts his SV% when from .933 to .913. The reason it's not much worse is thanks to a shutout against the Leafs where a shooter tutor could have posted a doughnut.

wolfgaze 02-23-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno (Post 44729413)
numbers?

In his last 6 starts his SV% when from .933 to .913. The reason it's not much worse is thanks to a shutout against the Leafs where a shooter tutor could have posted a doughnut.

10-3-1 record with a 2.17 save % and 2 shutouts is bad for a veteran back-up huh? No need to embellish the characterization of his play as of late with over the top adjectives like "awful".

RangerBlues 02-23-2012 05:18 PM

1.5 mil per year is right on target. He works well with the other players and they all love this guy.
Hope he is with the organization long after he is done playing.

Inferno 02-23-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 44729741)
10-3-1 record with a 2.17 save % and 2 shutouts is bad for a veteran back-up huh? No need to embellish the characterization of his play as of late with over the top adjectives like "awful".

excluding the shutout against the leafs his numbers since Christmas his save percentage is .857

Same time span, playing more games, and unquestionably against the harder competition Henrik has put up a save percentage of .949

Same defense in front of him. Same offense in front of him.

Clearly Henrik is playing very well, but so is the team in front of him. Rangers played outstanding in front of Biron in every game except for the Chicago game, where he was, yes, AWFUL, as well.

those numbers are sickening. 857 would be awful in front of the worst defense in the league.

No goalie in the NHL today who has played more than 5 games has numbers that bad. It's worse than AWFUL.

wolfgaze 02-23-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno (Post 44731345)
excluding the shutout against the leafs his numbers since Christmas his save percentage is .857

Same time span, playing more games, and unquestionably against the harder competition Henrik has put up a save percentage of .949

Same defense in front of him. Same offense in front of him.

Clearly Henrik is playing very well, but so is the team in front of him. Rangers played outstanding in front of Biron in every game except for the Chicago game, where he was, yes, AWFUL, as well.

those numbers are sickening. 857 would be awful in front of the worst defense in the league.

No goalie in the NHL today who has played more than 5 games has numbers that bad. It's worse than AWFUL.

Why do you embellish everything so much? Rangers outstanding in front of Biron in every game except the Chicago one? That's :laugh: You are always using over the top adjectives like "terrible" and "awful" and it rarely does anything to accurately describe what's transpiring.

Rangers Fail 02-23-2012 05:29 PM

Didn't play so great against Tampa either.

Inferno 02-23-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 44731545)
Why do you embellish everything so much? Rangers outstanding in front of Biron in every game except the Chicago one? That's :laugh: You are always using over the top adjectives like "terrible" and "awful" and it rarely does anything to accurately describe what's transpiring.

*sigh*

Shots allowed over that time:
22, 17, 29, 20, 21, 23.

not 1 game over 30 shots. Yeah, that's not outstanding.

*facepalm*

wolfgaze 02-23-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno (Post 44732173)
*sigh*

Shots allowed over that time:
22, 17, 29, 20, 21, 23.

not 1 game over 30 shots. Yeah, that's not outstanding.

*facepalm*

Yes because shot total is always indicative of quality of scoring chances right? Look at the defensive breakdowns in the Chicago game... Look at the Devils game we lost in the shootout... They leave Kovalchuck wide open below the hash marks on the PP for the Devils 2nd goal, and then Clarkson gets the breakaway off the bad bounce to tie the game at 3 in the 3rd. Both goals Marty's fault right? Or do we expect him to save 9 outta 10 breakaways like Lundqvist does? You can go crunch all the #'s you want if it makes you feel better about your exaggerations. Biron has not been solid lately but that alone does not tarnish an otherwise good season from him. No amount of "What have you done for me lately" attitude will change that.

Didn't you also recently characterize one of Hagelin's recent games as "terrible" IIRC? You seem to have a knack for the over-the-top characterizations.

BlueshirtBlitz 02-23-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno (Post 44727903)
Biron has been AWFUL for about 2 months now.

Awful? Hardly.

A backup? Yep.

Inferno 02-23-2012 05:57 PM

That's all i have to say.

You guys can say whatever you want. But a goalie who has a save percentage of .857 through the last 2 months of play, facing very few shots, playing in front of a team that has a goalie with the best save percentage in the NHL is either playing awful, terrible, garbage, whatever you want to say, OR Henrik Lundqvist is making this team look WAY better than it actually is and he should win every single applicable award there is to offer.

however you want to frame it, is your call.

Inferno 02-23-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 44733105)
Yes because shot total is always indicative of quality of scoring chances right? Look at the defensive breakdowns in the Chicago game... Look at the Devils game we lost in the shootout... They leave Kovalchuck wide open below the hash marks on the PP for the Devils 2nd goal, and then Clarkson gets the breakaway off the bad bounce to tie the game at 3 in the 3rd. Both goals Marty's fault right? Or do we expect him to save 9 outta 10 breakaways like Lundqvist does? You can go crunch all the #'s you want if it makes you feel better about your exaggerations. Biron has not been solid lately but that alone does not tarnish an otherwise good season from him. No amount of "What have you done for me lately" attitude will change that.

Didn't you also recently characterize one of Hagelin's recent games as "terrible" IIRC? You seem to have a knack for the over-the-top characterizations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 44733433)
Awful? Hardly.

A backup? Yep.

Not 1 single goalie in the NHL, with at least 5 games played, has numbers that bad. Not 1. That's awful.