HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers Prospects in Top 50 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=111580)

Barnaby 11-01-2004 10:58 PM

Rangers Prospects in Top 50
 
Who do you guys should make the top 50 prospects from the Rangers? Remember there are 50 guys and 30 teams so you can't list 5-6 players...

To me Tyutin is a no brainer. Lundvquist and Montoya should also make the list in some capacity IMO. Balej is a good prospect, but I really don't think there is room for him. Jessiman is still missing that big year that could get him on the list. Here are my projections...

Tyutin: 12-18
Lundvquist: 25-35
Montoya: 35-43

What are your guys opinions?

NYRangers 11-01-2004 11:07 PM

All 5 guys mentioned have a ligitimate shot at cracking the top 50.

TheZherdev 11-01-2004 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers
All 5 guys mentioned have a ligitimate shot at cracking the top 50.

Definately. Maybe Dawes will make it too. Too soon to tell.

007 11-01-2004 11:36 PM

I'll be most interested in seeing just whether Lundqvist is ranked higher than Montoya, after what George Bachul said in his column last week about Henrik being underrated.

I am sure that at least one of them will make the list.

Barnaby 11-01-2004 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers
All 5 guys mentioned have a ligitimate shot at cracking the top 50.

You have to remember 30 teams and 50 slots... Thats less then 2 players per team. No way do the Rangers get 4 or 5... I would be shocked. The only team that could touch that is probably Washington.

rnyquist 11-01-2004 11:41 PM

My bet is Tjutin and Montoya, anyone else and I'll be shocked.

Jessimen didn't have a good enough year

Dawes hasn't out weighed the big questions about him

Balej shoulda made it last year, if he makes it this year i'll be shocked

Lundqvist too many questions surrounding him and if he's the real deal.

These are all great kids but top 50? I dunno

Kubera55 11-02-2004 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
You have to remember 30 teams and 50 slots... Thats less then 2 players per team. No way do the Rangers get 4 or 5... I would be shocked. The only team that could touch that is probably Washington.

Yes and no. Yes, there are only two 'spots' for each franchise, but that assumes each franchise has an equal farm system. They don't. Teams like Detroit, Toronto, and Colorado have very thin prospect depth, and might not have more than one Top 50 prospect in the system (heck they might not even have one). That frees up spots for deeper farm teams like the Rangers to have more bodies.

Personally I'd assume Tjutin and Montoya make it. Lundqvist is finally getting a buzz going, so I'd expect him to make it. Given that HF's own Ranger rankings have Montoya ahead of Lundqvist, I'd assume he'll be ahead in the top 50. Next on HF Ranking is Balej.... he could make it. But personally I doubt it. So that's basically it. I doubt HF would contradict their own rankings by putting in a lower ranked player (on a team page) ahead of a higher ranked player (on a team page) in the Big 50.

My biggest curiousity is actually where HF puts Montoya. For some bizzarre reason a ton of posters still seem to think Schwarz is a better prospect, and the "Montoya is overrated" crowd never seem to be forced to defend their position. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get snubbed bigtime with a low ranking.

Levitate 11-02-2004 07:33 AM

the funny part is that most people have probably never seen montoya or scwarz play very much at all...couple of games at the most, and it's hard to form a real good opinion about players in that situation...but people think schwarz is one of the best goaltending prospects in the league while montoya is overrated :dunno:

and even the people who have seen a lot of one player, probably hasn't seen the equal amount of the other...then you get into comparing two different leagues...

meh

Levitate 11-02-2004 07:36 AM

Quote:

Lundqvist too many questions surrounding him and if he's the real deal.
there are no real legitimate questions though...he's just like any european goaltender in that he hasn't played a NA game. that is the one question.

Quote:

Dawes hasn't out weighed the big questions about him
he's done everything possible to make a case for himself, there isnt' a single thing else that dawes can do to prove he belongs in the top 50. he scores goals in his own league and on the international stage, he's captain of his team...again he has one question about him, his size. and there's no way for him to overcome that question right now because he can't play in the AHL or NHL at the moment.

i just think you've overexaggerated the "questions" about those players. that being said, i don't think dawes will make it into the top 50 prospects just because he's not a "sexy" pick. lundqvist probably will because he's starting to get some recognition

DarthSather99 11-02-2004 09:57 AM

I would say Tytuin definetly and Balej should make the top 50 for the Rangers. Montoya hasn't looked like a top 50 this year and Lundqvist has never played in N.A. which is a pretty big issue. I'm not saying these players aren't talented but as far as "rankings" right now, that is how I feel it should shake down.

In the end, rankings mean nothing. I just hope we get a good 10-11 prospects from our current pool. whether it's keeping some or trading some for more talent.


Jessiman
Montoya
Tytuin
Balej
Lundqvist
Korpikowski
Graham ?

Kondrakiev (sp.)
Lampman
Moore
Dawes

Barnaby 11-02-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubera55
Yes and no. Yes, there are only two 'spots' for each franchise, but that assumes each franchise has an equal farm system. They don't. Teams like Detroit, Toronto, and Colorado have very thin prospect depth, and might not have more than one Top 50 prospect in the system (heck they might not even have one). That frees up spots for deeper farm teams like the Rangers to have more bodies.

Personally I'd assume Tjutin and Montoya make it. Lundqvist is finally getting a buzz going, so I'd expect him to make it. Given that HF's own Ranger rankings have Montoya ahead of Lundqvist, I'd assume he'll be ahead in the top 50. Next on HF Ranking is Balej.... he could make it. But personally I doubt it. So that's basically it. I doubt HF would contradict their own rankings by putting in a lower ranked player (on a team page) ahead of a higher ranked player (on a team page) in the Big 50.

My biggest curiousity is actually where HF puts Montoya. For some bizzarre reason a ton of posters still seem to think Schwarz is a better prospect, and the "Montoya is overrated" crowd never seem to be forced to defend their position. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get snubbed bigtime with a low ranking.

I agree, like I stated above I think we'll pobably have those 3 players. Balej will probably miss it, but IMO he's def top 70 if it went that high. A lot of people seem to be jumping on the Lundvquist bandwagon so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him beat Montoya. Let's be honest - he has accomplished more at this point - should be close.

I cant believe people blindely rank Schwartz over Montoya. If the Rangers didnt take Montoya then he still would have never dropped out of the top 10. It's not like Schwartz has been lighting it up lately so how he passes him I have no idea. Montoya has also performed in the big games which is another added bonus.
I guess people just get excited over Hasek comparisons... oh well.

007 11-02-2004 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Jessiman
Montoya
Tytuin
Balej
Lundqvist
Korpikowski
Graham ?

Kondrakiev (sp.)
Lampman
Moore
Dawes

No love for Immonen?

And by the way, it's spelt Korpikoski; the -ski in his name has nothing to do with slavic names like Czerkawski.

Kubera55 11-02-2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Montoya hasn't looked like a top 50 this year

Just curious about why you say that. Outsidethegarden has him with 5 wins and a tie in his first 8 starts, a save percentage comfortably over .900, and a SO. I haven't seen him play this year, but those are some pretty solid numbers. Heck, project them out over a season... well that sure sounds like a top 50 line to me. Especially playing in a highly competitive league, and only being 19 years old. Lundqvist's numbers and league are better, but he's what, 3-4 years older? That really ought to factor in somewhere.

I dunno, really just curious why you made the above statement... let me know. (first hand impressions?)

Levitate 11-02-2004 05:16 PM

i've heard some michigan fans say he's looked a little inconsistant...if he's not getting a lot of work he wanders a bit. that he'll usually finish games real strong but can start out weak in the first period or so. but it's the beginning of the year and he's probably got a little draft hangover, especially considering how he was hyped by the rangers.

but he's still put up some pretty good stats and over the course of the season he'll probably come out just fine. kinda sounds like michigan might be struggling a little though in terms of getting it all to come together right.

NYRangers 11-02-2004 05:18 PM

Montoya didnt get off to the best start but his stats are good now and keep improving.

Slats432 11-02-2004 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubera55
Just curious about why you say that. Outsidethegarden has him with 5 wins and a tie in his first 8 starts, a save percentage comfortably over .900, and a SO. I haven't seen him play this year, but those are some pretty solid numbers. Heck, project them out over a season... well that sure sounds like a top 50 line to me. Especially playing in a highly competitive league, and only being 19 years old. Lundqvist's numbers and league are better, but he's what, 3-4 years older? That really ought to factor in somewhere.

I dunno, really just curious why you made the above statement... let me know. (first hand impressions?)

I saw him play against UNH and he was very ordinary in a 4-4 tie. Bad positioning, poor puck handling.....and just mentally weak, even falling down once skating to the corner to handle a puck. Just not sharp at all.

That said, I still think he is a great prospect.

Kubera55 11-02-2004 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bachul
I saw him play against UNH and he was very ordinary in a 4-4 tie. Bad positioning, poor puck handling.....and just mentally weak, even falling down once skating to the corner to handle a puck. Just not sharp at all.

That said, I still think he is a great prospect.

Hmm, interesting.

Thanks for the update!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.