HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 5 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1116141)

LadyStanley 02-23-2012 09:44 PM

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 5

And go.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1110283

Iron Chef 02-23-2012 09:47 PM

So Fear the Fin thinks Nash looks great in teal and says that he would do it for anyone other than

Jumbo, Marleau, Pavs, Couture, Boyle, Vlasic, Burns, and Niemi.

sjshark91 02-23-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 44765543)
So Fear the Fin thinks Nash looks great in teal and says that he would do it for anyone other than

Jumbo, Marleau, Pavs, Couture, Boyle, Vlasic, Burns, and Niemi.

Doug calls Howson

"I want Nash for Murray and a 1st"

"Tyson Nash?"

sharkbite3 02-23-2012 09:50 PM

I'm good with that. Thornton flanked by Nash is a scary thought. But if we don't give up Pavs, Cooch, or the others from that list, what'll be the cost?

Iron Chef 02-23-2012 09:54 PM

The biggest thing that worries me is that taking on Nash really does put us on a win now mode that tightens "the window"

Couture signed with a great discount because DW likely told him that he would take care of him when he had some flexibility with Marleau, Thornton, and Boyle being UFAs. Then Vlasic will be due at the very least Brent Burns type money...And just because Marleau, Thornton, and Boyle are UFAs, doesnt mean were getting rid of them, we'll likely keep them all if we can sign them at cheaper contracts. I just don't like the idea of becoming top heavy again when we will have to dump our depth players

OnTheFence 02-23-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 44766299)
The biggest thing that worries me is that taking on Nash really does put us on a win now mode that tightens "the window"

Couture signed with a great discount because DW likely told him that he would take care of him when he had some flexibility with Marleau, Thornton, and Boyle being UFAs. Then Vlasic will be due at the very least Brent Burns type money...And just because Marleau, Thornton, and Boyle are UFAs, doesnt mean were getting rid of them, we'll likely keep them all if we can sign them at cheaper contracts. I just don't like the idea of becoming top heavy again when we will have to dump our depth players

I don't see how it tightens the window. The window is already set around the careers of Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and to a lesser extent, Havlat. If anything, this trade would create a new window centered around Couture, Nash, Burns, Vlasic, and Pavelski (assuming, he's not traded for Nash) once Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and Havlat reach the end of their careers.

Eighth Fret 02-23-2012 10:19 PM

Kings are winning the Pacific. No move DW can pull off will change this.

Les Wynan* 02-23-2012 10:19 PM

Just to expand upon and hopefully put an end to the discussion from the previous iteration of this thread...

Even if you don't see what I see when I watch Jack Johnson (a dude with absolutely nothing between the ears, at least in terms of how to play hockey when his team doesn't have more guys on the ice than their opponents) there's no denying the numbers; he's been dead last on the Kings in both Corsi and goals against per 60 minutes of ES time each of the past four seasons despite always receiving favorable zone starts and never facing anything more difficult than second-tier competition.

Also for a guy who's supposedly an "offensive defenseman" he finished with fewer ES points per 60 than noted dynamo Barret Jackman last season, is on a similar pace this year and, apart from 09-10, has consistently been 100th or worse among NHL d-men in that category.

The Jackets just traded their best all-around forward, one of the best two-way forwards in the league, for a Marc-Andre Bergeron clone making $4.5mil for the next 6 years. Eat your heart out, Howson.

Kitten Mittons 02-23-2012 10:21 PM

You are underrating Johnson while overrating Carter. At least be consistent with both.

Eighth Fret 02-23-2012 10:24 PM

Nah, LW is more right than wrong here. Johnson isn't nearly as good as he's perceived. Hey may improve, but I don't think it's likely he'll ever really earn the contract he has.

Les Wynan* 02-23-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 44769359)
You are underrating Johnson while overrating Carter. At least be consistent with both.

How in the world am I underrating Johnson? Coming into this season, over the past four years, only Michael Del Zotto had been on the ice for more goals against per minute at even strength than JJ. And with MDZ's season it's safe to say Johnson has overtaken him.

He's a complete liability at even strength, there's just no denying that. And, unfortunately for Columbus and Johnson, the vast majority of the game is played at even strength.

As for Carter, here are some terrific articles on how great he was last season.

OnTheFence 02-23-2012 10:26 PM

Apparently Flames GM Feaster is unhappy with his team and will be making some moves at the deadline. Iginla?

TheJuxtaposer 02-23-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheFence (Post 44769941)
Apparently Flames GM Feaster is unhappy with his team and will be making some moves at the deadline. Iginla?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp7unaTQxR1qd07w0.gif

magic school bus 02-23-2012 10:29 PM

Les, I appreciate your post, but I can't have you badmouthing a good American.

Les Wynan* 02-23-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 44770211)

Haha, fair enough.

I like Dustin Brown and I'll be happy to talk about how no one else in the league even comes close to him in terms of the ability to draw penalties once he gets traded to Detroit in a few days.

Gilligans Island 02-23-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 44766299)

I really like Vlasic and he is an awesome defensive dman but he is no where close to earning Burns money. Those dmen have 2-way games. Vlasic is superior on the defensive side only. It'll take between $4.5, maybe $5m to re-sign him at the top end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheFence (Post 44767245)
I don't see how it tightens the window. The window is already set around the careers of Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and to a lesser extent, Havlat. If anything, this trade would create a new window centered around Couture, Nash, Burns, Vlasic, and Pavelski (assuming, he's not traded for Nash) once Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and Havlat reach the end of their careers.

With Nash, it does stretch out the window past 2014 and DW may be looking at that angle. If we trade for Nash and can get enough forward depth in the next 2 seasons, then we'll be fine.

Franchise13 02-23-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 44770211)

Not to get OT, but is JJ even going to be a top 6D in Sochi?

Suter/EJ
Whitney/Orpik
Martin/Gleason
/w Fowler/Gogo developing?

I guess he would need to be on the team to run the PP now that Rafalski is old and broken.

For the record, I think LA got a good deal. They are deep enough in D and are desperate for Offense. If I was CBJ, I'd have asked for Voynov.

stalockrox 02-23-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franchise13 (Post 44770747)
Not to get OT, but is JJ even going to be a top 6D in Sochi?

Suter/EJ
Whitney/Orpik
Martin/Gleason
/w Fowler/Gogo developing?

I guess he would need to be on the team to run the PP now that Rafalski is old and broken.

I really, really hope not!!

And that Keith Yandle guy doesn't suck ;)

Nighthock 02-23-2012 10:38 PM

the Kings will still suck and underachieve like they always do ...

Franchise13 02-23-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 44770887)
I really, really hope not!!

And that Keith Yandle guy doesn't suck ;)

Good point, lol! Dunno how he slipped my mind.

stalockrox 02-23-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franchise13 (Post 44770951)
Good point, lol! Dunno how he slipped my mind.

He plays for Phoenix, I think he slips everyone's mind.

Eighth Fret 02-23-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wynan (Post 44770467)
Haha, fair enough.

I like Dustin Brown and I'll be happy to talk about how no one else in the league even comes close to him in terms of the ability to draw penalties once he gets traded to Detroit in a few days.

Who would Detroit send the other way?

Kitten Mittons 02-23-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wynan (Post 44770467)

No, no one can dive as well as he does.

TheJuxtaposer 02-23-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eighth Fret (Post 44771625)
Who would Detroit send the other way?

Unlike us, Detroit actually has prospects.

Les Wynan* 02-23-2012 10:50 PM

Don't forget Gilbert on Team USA, he rules.