HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Proposal: Buying out Franzen's Contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1116337)

Claypool 02-24-2012 01:01 AM

Buying out Franzen's Contract
 
Anyone know what the salary implications would be if the Red Wings bought this guy out? How much would they be on the hook for?

He's simply not a top line player. Stanley Cup or not Stanley Cup this season, I'd like to see him and Hudler gone.

irishock 02-24-2012 01:03 AM

Franzen the least hard working 23 goal scorer ever. I still don't get why we let go of Hossa, I know he sucked in the playoffs, but he's definitely a better overall player than Mule.

The Zetterberg Era 02-24-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claypool (Post 44779571)
Anyone know what the salary implications would be if the Red Wings bought this guy out? How much would they be on the hook for?

He's simply not a top line player. Stanley Cup or not Stanley Cup this season, I'd like to see him and Hudler gone.

Go over to capgeek.com and do it they have that function. By the way this notion is ridiculous, why I don't even want to do the leg work for you.

WingedWheel1987 02-24-2012 01:09 AM

Franzen called dibs on being worthless in the regular season. He only shows up for the playoffs on a consistent basis.

He isnt getting bought out. Only thing that would happen is him getting sent to the minors. (Never happening either, but hypothetically thats what would happen first)

ArGarBarGar 02-24-2012 01:25 AM

You want to buy out the contract of the player who has been leading the team in goals all season? And is second in points? And has a relatively decent playoff resume?

Whaaaa?

RedWingsNow* 02-24-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 44780389)
You want to buy out the contract of the player who has been leading the team in goals all season? And is second in points? And has a relatively decent playoff resume?

Whaaaa?

He may be leading the club in goals, but the only defense of his play right now is his playoff resume.

They should clone Johan Franzen and make Franzen lifejackets on an Italian cruise ship.

What I'm trying to say is he's a floater.

That said, nobody is buying him out.
I'd support trading him. But we know Holland wouldn't do that.
Holland could be offered Rick Nash or Alex Ovechkin, and he probably wouldn't trade him.

I honestly don't understand how he can be so freakin' useless on the ice, game-in, gameout.

Like, Bertuzzi has his rough spells. But he seems like even when he doesn't score that he makes things happen.

Also... Franzen was a center for a lot of years. One thing I notice about Franzen is that his goals don't come from the wings... Even on the entry to zone, it's rare to see him enter along the boards and then work his way to the middle of the ice.
When he crosses the blueline with the puck at middle-ice he's far more comfortable and way more dangerous.

obey86 02-24-2012 01:53 AM

most annoying player on the team by far.

WingedWheel1987 02-24-2012 01:56 AM

Did you guys see how Franzen looked after he let Daniel get that wide open shooting lane to tie the goal with eight seconds left?

Priceless. He actually looked like a mule.............actually scratch that..........a jack***

Franzen better be PPG player in the playoffs.

last_sd 02-24-2012 02:03 AM

We are not buying him out.
We are stuck with his contract FOREVER!

Probably the least hard-working player I've ever seen in Wings jersey.
He better be at least PPG in playoff time.

Man I wish we kept Hossa instead of Franzen + Hudler

Shoryuken 02-24-2012 02:21 AM

He's making roughly 4 million, and people think he's overpaid? Wtf


You guys get so irrational when we lose.

Henkka 02-24-2012 02:24 AM

Would it be easier just to kill Franzen, then the caphit goes away and you don't have to watch the floating?

As intelligent proposal as the buyout.

Henkka 02-24-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 (Post 44781177)
Did you guys see how Franzen looked after he let Daniel get that wide open shooting lane to tie the goal with eight seconds left?

I don't understand why he even is on the ice for some defending game-clinching faceoff.

We really need some Gaustad there either to win the faceoff, or block those shots.

Filppula 02-24-2012 02:59 AM

Remember when he first arrived, and how he was our 4th line centre who would play sparingly, but play hard, focus on the defensive end? He needs to be dumped on the 4th line for a few games to wake him up because his effort levels are disgusting and to hopefully make him realise you earn ice-time. But given he was out in the dying stages of the 3rd, it seems Babs is fine with his effort levels.

That off-side play he caused in the first period was one of the most disgraceful things I've seen in a while. He had so much time to get back on-side, Hank skated around for a while to allow him to get back, and he didn't even care, just cruised back in his own time.

The Zetterberg Era 02-24-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkka (Post 44782011)
I don't understand why he even is on the ice for some defending game-clinching faceoff.

We really need some Gaustad there either to win the faceoff, or block those shots.

He usually isn't he got caught out because of icing. The clinching line is always Dats - Z - Cleary for the most part at the end of games.

Still would love Gaustad being out there. Was a little disappointed Babs didn't save the last shift for the Helm line, I think we would have been better off.

BF3 02-24-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claypool (Post 44779571)
He's simply not a top line player. Stanley Cup or not Stanley Cup this season, I'd like to see him and Hudler gone.

:laugh: :lol: Ok, now tell me the one about how Z is terrible and should be traded, I love that one as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishock (Post 44779659)
Franzen the least hard working 23 goal scorer ever. I still don't get why we let go of Hossa, I know he sucked in the playoffs, but he's definitely a better overall player than Mule.

You just answered your own question. And the contracts are a weee bit different...

ricky0034 02-24-2012 05:41 AM

for his under $4m contract I wouldn't get rid of him for nothing(and buying him out would be getting rid of him for less than nothing!) even if he was so terrible in the regular season that he was a healthy scratch every night if he still had great Playoff performances

yet....he's actually a consistant 30 goal scorer in the regular season

sure it's frustrating in that he could and maybe should be a consistant 40 goal scorer instead of 30

but.......$3.955m and actually does live up to his potential when it matters :help:

The Zetterberg Era 02-24-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishock (Post 44779659)
Franzen the least hard working 23 goal scorer ever. I still don't get why we let go of Hossa, I know he sucked in the playoffs, but he's definitely a better overall player than Mule.

Since it is against the rules I cannot just repost it, but I quite literally posted the enormous difference between the two in the last Chicago Gameday thread half way down this page.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...113637&page=14

I don't know why people insist on this comparison but if they must it should be stated considering the difference in contract and production in the post-season if it was really just as simple as a choice between the two the Wings made the correct call. Is Hossa the more aesthetically pleasing player to watch? Absolutely, but the numbers and effectiveness between the two especially in the post-season favor Franzen. Not to mention the concerns over old Franzen and Zetterberg still exist if you are being reasonable with Hossa because he is signed longer and already older.

Shoalzie 02-24-2012 05:56 AM

I'm not in favor of this topic but he's a very frustrating player to watch when he's not scoring goals. To be fair to him, he's scored some of the biggest goals of the season. They wouldn't have had the record home winning streak or the best record without some of his contributions.

I think what we've seen the last two games...Bert and Mule are rutterless without Pavel driving that line. Considering what the Wings were still able to do without Howard and seeing them struggle without Datsyuk...that tells you who the team's MVP is.

ricky0034 02-24-2012 06:03 AM

Franzen's got a couple goals coming up on Saturday

have a look at who the Wings are playing ;)

Mickey Redmond 02-24-2012 06:15 AM

He'll put up 20 plus this playoff season.

The Zetterberg Era 02-24-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 44784131)
I'm not in favor of this topic but he's a very frustrating player to watch when he's not scoring goals. To be fair to him, he's scored some of the biggest goals of the season. They wouldn't have had the record home winning streak or the best record without some of his contributions.

I think what we've seen the last two games...Bert and Mule are rutterless without Pavel driving that line. Considering what the Wings were still able to do without Howard and seeing them struggle without Datsyuk...that tells you who the team's MVP is.

Indeed, a little ashamed I used to argue the Howard MVP angle or at least co-mvp. The embarrassment on Long Island is starting to make a little more sense than just an off-night, no Datsyuk and no Howard to bail them out and keep close.

Franzen might be frustrating to watch at times, but I find it curious on the heels of last night. I thought after the stick slam he played with a lot more fire and the way a lot of people plead with him to play, he skated harder and with more purpose. 30 goals and 60 points for under 4 million is pretty good to me. I am curious just what people think they should be getting from Franzen? I think people take his dominant performances and expect that should be duplicated, well only the rarest of players do this. Datsyuk is special. It also should be pointed out wing players rarely impose their will on the game. Look around at the guys around him on the score sheet Iginla and Perry, higher than Nash who everyone swoons over.

It reeks of the European labels by many. It takes Penner a full season of awful work before people attach floater to him. I mean seriously how many NA players are tagged with this. But Semin, Franzen, Kovy (which I never really see at all) are hit with this label in my opinion. How many people call to task just how uninspired Nash plays at times? Those Europeans that aren't often associated with being floaters are great skaters but soft. It is actually amazing Datsyuk has transcend this, incredibly rare.

To be totally clear I am not saying in your post you're or that all people do it because of this, but it is an undercurrent I think factors in. Once the notion is floated out there enough it is hard to get totally undone. You spend so much time hearing Franzen is lazy it builds into something not worth defending. He twice last night in the dying minutes dove full out to block shots, was it great technique or effective? No, but lazy? The labels of soft or lazy seem to find their way all too often to European players and slightly more alarmingly the star ones.

Henkka 02-24-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 44782631)
He usually isn't he got caught out because of icing. The clinching line is always Dats - Z - Cleary for the most part at the end of games.

Still would love Gaustad being out there. Was a little disappointed Babs didn't save the last shift for the Helm line, I think we would have been better off.

Yeah, it was the icing. It makes you really think about our overall strength at the faceoffs and those guys using at late shifts in the game.

Now, it was our weakest main faceoff guy (Zetterberg 49,8%) there to lose that faceoff and ruin the game. With Dats or Gaustad-level 56% faceoff-guy, it would have been different story. Points 2-0 to Wings, and not 1-2 for Canucks. Missing Datsyuk was a three point difference between these two teams.

Heaton 02-24-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 44784505)
Franzen might be frustrating to watch at times, but I find it curious on the heels of last night. I thought after the stick slam he played with a lot more fire and the way a lot of people plead with him to play, he skated harder and with more purpose. 30 goals and 60 points for under 4 million is pretty good to me. I am curious just what people think they should be getting from Franzen?

That's what I always wonder too. I'm not about to defend him and get in the middle of a hate-fest, but I think he is really getting a bad wrap. He's had many good chances the last few games and has had a bunch of successful shifts.

Again, I think this is a situation where people are taking one or two glaring shifts or plays and applying it to the entire game.

RedMachine87 02-24-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarnkrok (Post 44781741)
He's making roughly 4 million, and people think he's overpaid? Wtf


You guys get so irrational when we lose.

:laugh: Yeah, this. I can go on HF Boards without even watching the game and I instantly know if we won or lost because the posts either indicate we are the best team in the league or the worst team in the league, with apparently no place inbetween. If we win our top performers need to be immortalized in front of JLA, if we lose we need to trade half the team because we are too soft. It's like clockwork.

wingnutjeff 02-24-2012 08:52 AM

Franzen can be frustrating because he has great talent and if he had Datsyuk's work ethic he would be a monster on the ice. He does take some shifts off and guess what, his salary reflects it. If he worked as hard as we all wished he would, he would have a Hossa size contract. That being said, unless injured, he does know to show up in the playoffs. If that stops, then he needs to be traded or put on waivers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.