HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   General Sports (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What sports should be in the Olympics? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1116345)

saskriders 02-24-2012 01:20 AM

What sports should be in the Olympics?

What's your opinion.

Two that come to my mind right now are squash, and mixed doubles curling.

Squash has had a world number one player from ever continent, and mixed doubles curling has more countries at it's world championship then regular curling.

Edit: Another thought Bandy, Cricket

Edit 2: I also think the Paralympics should be merged with the regular Olympics (the events would stay separate of course, but they would happen at the same time)

Epsilon 02-26-2012 08:30 AM

Going to rep for my favorite sports:

summer: rock climbing

winter: ice climbing

Some justifications:

-Both have well-established professional/competitive circuits.
-Both have strong fields for both men and women. For ice climbing in particular, you could even take the audacious leap of having men and women compete together.
-Both have very diverse international representation, so a ton of different countries could easily be competitive from just about every continent.
-Both can be approached competitively from several different angles (difficulty, speed, different styles, etc.) so it could make for an easy sport to have lots of different events in.
-Both feature athletes who are in supremely good physical condition, so from that perspective they market well. With regards to rock climbing in particular, you can market the sex appeal aspect of the competitors (a lot of the females compete wearing outfits that don't cover up much more than a beach volleyball outfit does, if anything).

Shoeless Joe 02-26-2012 03:48 PM

Ultimate frisbee. I went to the world cup a couple of years ago and it was just awesome.

Dellstrom 03-07-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brotato Chips (Post 44984261)
Ultimate frisbee. I went to the world cup a couple of years ago and it was just awesome.

Agreed with this. So fun to play and watch.

villevalo 03-08-2012 06:25 AM

Full 15 a side rugby union.

saskriders 03-08-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villevalo (Post 45718615)

I imagine (as long as the schedule for the pitch(es) allow it they will eventually add it. Same with golf, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually added match play. Most sports that have a popular second "discipline" (what the IOC would refer to it as) will see that eventually added.

blue bleeder 24-7 03-08-2012 11:02 AM

No one's going to like this suggestion, but I believe it firmly:

Auto-Racing.

It's one of the world's most popular sports. I can name superstar drivers from a lot of countries.

Have them run formula cars similar to F1, and have each country construct the cars using brands from those countries.

Such is my suggestion.

Ivan13 03-09-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villevalo (Post 45718615)

That's the 1st thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread.

Kimi 03-09-2012 09:45 AM

Rugby is too physical for a short event like the Olympics, the world cup takes almost two months to play as you can only really play one game per week. Also we'll have rugby sevens at the 2016 Olympics. It's good format that's widely played and followed and is way less taxing on the body. You can play a full tournament in the space of a weekend without and bother. Having a second rugby format wouldn't be best.

If you want to add another sport I think Cricket really has to be there. Test is obviously out of the question but Twenty20 would be a great addition. Loads of support for it and more nations can compete in that format, really should be there soon.

Dom 03-09-2012 10:18 AM

Dogsled racing for the winter. And a winter Modern Pentathlon type event.

Summer modern penthatlon (what a 1900AD gentleman should excel in): pistol shooting, épée fencing, 200 m freestyle swimming, show jumping, and a 3 km cross-country run.

Winter modern penthatlon (what a 1900AD woodsman should excel in): rifle shooting, axe fencing, 200 m 1 degrees celsius swimming, dog-sled racing and 3 km snowshoe cross-country run.

Ivan13 03-09-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimi (Post 45789097)
Rugby is too physical for a short event like the Olympics, the world cup takes almost two months to play as you can only really play one game per week. Also we'll have rugby sevens at the 2016 Olympics. It's good format that's widely played and followed and is way less taxing on the body. You can play a full tournament in the space of a weekend without and bother. Having a second rugby format wouldn't be best.

If you want to add another sport I think Cricket really has to be there. Test is obviously out of the question but Twenty20 would be a great addition. Loads of support for it and more nations can compete in that format, really should be there soon.

Yeah that's the main problem with it, but I'd like to see the All Blacks and Springboks going at it at the Olympics.

Sevens could also be more attractive for casual viewers.

Franck 03-17-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskriders (Post 44780231)
Another thought Bandy

Bandy is too much like Women's hockey to be given serious consideration as an Olympic sport. Sweden and Russia are simply too far ahead of the other nations that play it.

Floorball suffers from the same problem to some extent, but it is arguably much closer to becoming an Olympic sport due to the extreme growth it is experiencing.

Quote:

Edit 2: I also think the Paralympics should be merged with the regular Olympics (the events would stay separate of course, but they would happen at the same time)
That is not a possibility due to logistical reasons. It just wouldn't be possible to host all those events at the same venues and building additional venues is not financially viable.

saskriders 03-17-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franck (Post 46219731)
Bandy is too much like Women's hockey to be given serious consideration as an Olympic sport. Sweden and Russia are simply too far ahead of the other nations that play it.

Floorball suffers from the same problem to some extent, but it is arguably much closer to becoming an Olympic sport due to the extreme growth it is experiencing.

That is not a possibility due to logistical reasons. It just wouldn't be possible to host all those events at the same venues and building additional venues is not financially viable.

Would it be possible if they extended the game by a week? I'm pretty sure most of the venues aren't used every day :dunno:. Regardless, I think it would bring more attention to the Paralympic events and put it on a similar level, and in 20 or 30 years it could be considered to be on the same level.

Cardiac_Canes 03-17-2012 02:44 PM

They're supposedly considering adding cross country to the winter olympics.

Chandrashekhar Limit 03-17-2012 04:27 PM

Cricket.

Game's got a huge following across Asia, Oceania and decent followings in some parts of Africa, Europe and the Carribean.

With the new 20-20 format, 3 hour matches really shouldn't be a problem to fit in.

Cruiser008 03-20-2012 10:59 AM

20/20 Cricket and Squash are the two that jump out the most.

irunthepeg 03-20-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brotato Chips (Post 44984261)

Oh my word... I would watch this! Shut up and take my money!

Roughneck 03-21-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 44955755)
Going to rep for my favorite sports:

summer: rock climbing

winter: ice climbing

Sport climbing...is neither! :sarcasm:

Fixed to Ruin 03-21-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 (Post 45725855)

Auto-Racing.

It's one of the world's most popular sports. I can name superstar drivers from a lot of countries.

Have them run formula cars similar to F1, and have each country construct the cars using brands from those countries.

Such is my suggestion.

This would be extremely expensive, but extremely awsome. The car manufactures would be all over this and it would be great.

Propane Nightmares 03-23-2012 03:31 PM

Rugby Seven's have applied a few times but have been rejected, and the Olympic committee described it as a "joke"

Broshie74 03-23-2012 03:37 PM

Lax (lacrosse) would be sick but it wouldn't be competitive enough...

KevFist 03-23-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devils4cup (Post 46503681)
This would be extremely expensive, but extremely awsome. The car manufactures would be all over this and it would be great.

Dig out the old A1GP cars....

KevFist 03-23-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Problems (Post 46593887)
Rugby Seven's have applied a few times but have been rejected, and the Olympic committee described it as a "joke"

Rugby Sevens has to be one of the best TV sports there is!

TheGuyFromThere 03-23-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 (Post 45725855)

Auto-Racing.

Such is my suggestion.

I would love some sort of motorsport involved, my personal preference being either dirt bikes or road racing (MotoGP style), though I have no problem with a F1 sort of deal.

I just can't imagine the IOC doing it, theres a stigma that it should be based purely on "athletic ability" and an engine would tarnish it, at least from their viewpoints. I think we both know that it takes endurance and strength most people just don't comprehend to race, look at motocross, it's like riding a bull for thirty-five minutes and two laps. Sadly, theres a sense of tradition that will always overpower what people would like to see, or is deserving.

Morozov 03-23-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Problems (Post 46593887)

The Olympic committee didn't describe it as a joke, one person did, a guy who claimed he wasn't an expert on Rugby and was just parroting what he claimed to hear from others. Might want to actually check up on your facts before spreading rubbish.

and it's coming into the Olympics in 2016, so clearly the Olympic committee doesn't think it's a joke.