HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Moen's going nowhere. WHIIICKKET!!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1116621)

24stanleycups* 02-24-2012 10:46 AM

Moen's going nowhere. WHIIICKKET!!!

According to the canadian press, PG has told other GM's that ravis moen is Unavailable. This is great news, and I am so glad that PG has the sense to keep the kind of player he's going to need to acquire more of to win in this league. Thank christ!

bhuya71 02-24-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24stanleycups (Post 44795459)
According to the canadian press, PG has told other GM's that ravis moen is Unavailable. This is great news, and I am so glad that PG has the sense to keep the kind of player he's going to need to acquire more of to win in this league. Thank christ!

You know your going to have to provide a link bud :D

Beendair Donedat 02-24-2012 10:49 AM

It's only good news if they sign him.

24stanleycups* 02-24-2012 10:50 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...=nhl-canadiens

ooops, forgot about that, here it is.

ChuckyToGally 02-24-2012 10:52 AM

It sends the message that the Habs want to be competitive as soon as possible and don't want to go for a full rebuild. I have no problem with that but of course, they have to re-sign him or it would make no sense at all.

pine* 02-24-2012 10:52 AM

Tactical ploy to try to create a bidding auction.

WestIslander 02-24-2012 10:52 AM

This is old news, was mentioned by Bob McKenzie a while ago on TSN and TSN990 with the morning guys.

3rd line = Moen - Eller - Leblanc

gusfring 02-24-2012 10:56 AM

When do we get a press release that he has been re-signed?

JackZap 02-24-2012 10:59 AM

I wonder if PG has sent his farewell letter to all other other 29 GMs

WestIslander 02-24-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackZap (Post 44796335)
I wonder if PG has sent his farewell letter to all other other 29 GMs

Good one! - LOL

Jiggernaut 02-24-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Or it could also have something to do with Travis currently being on the IR....

Bullsmith 02-24-2012 11:03 AM

Moen is one of the only legit, effective bottom six guys on the team, so it would be useful to keep him. We need more guys like him.

At the same time however, he's in his thirties and this team needs to build up assets. If the bidding price were high, I hope this is just smoke to pump up the price and he does in fact get moved. If Downie's worth a first, Moen must be worth something like a 2nd. I'd take it. And of course if Moen walks for nothing or gets an inflated contract, especially in term, it's more of the same from the BG/PG era.

Markowicz 02-24-2012 11:05 AM

I thought this was a perfect opportunity to get great value for him, but i guess he's a good player to have on the team. I assume this means its a fait accompli that he gets re-signed, but I'll be worried he won't until it happens all the same...

Myron Gaines* 02-24-2012 11:05 AM

I'd be OK if we don't trade him, considering he's injured.

I wouldn't sign him for 3 years though, I'd sign him for 1 more year.

CrazyShea 02-24-2012 11:05 AM

This was also mentioned the other night on TSN2 by François Gagnon during the intermission. He said PG told Moen he was not going to be traded.

Seb 02-24-2012 11:07 AM

Trade him for picks.

Sign him this summer.

Joe Cole 02-24-2012 11:08 AM

Sign him, or trade him.

Crimson Skorpion 02-24-2012 11:08 AM

Yeah this was announced about a day or two ago. To be honest, I'll be happy to see him back but what is the harm of keeping the phone line open to proposals? What happens if another GM wants to overpay to bring in Moen and he has an offer that no GM in their right mind could refuse? There's no harm or foul if you keep your ears open to offers.

Bad business, in my opinion.

bcv 02-24-2012 11:11 AM

If he re-signs at a good price, it could ok I guess. It'd be nice to go out and sign Gaustad and finally have an identity on the bottom 6, mainly on the 4th line :

Patches - DD - Cole
XXX - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
Moen - Gaustad - White

It's not bad. Could be better though.

ECWHSWI 02-24-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 44797037)
Yeah this was announced about a day or two ago. To be honest, I'll be happy to see him back but what is the harm of keeping the phone line open to proposals? What happens if another GM wants to overpay to bring in Moen and he has an offer that no GM in their right mind could refuse? There's no harm or foul if you keep your ears open to offers.

Bad business, in my opinion.

that's pretty much what "not available" means IMO... I mean, I'm pretty sure if another GM was calling to offer lets say 1st + top prospect, PG would agree on a deal... but for the others, thinking of a 2nd or average prospect, dont bother calling, we're buzy... or something! ;)

Blind Gardien 02-24-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole (Post 44796965)
Sign him, or trade him.

This. It's all well and good to *want* Moen back next year. I want him back next year too. But if he's not signed, then what are the real odds of him being back? 1 in 30... ish? Unless he's signed, it's safer to assume he's gone. He's not Andrei Markov who hasn't played anywhere else and feels like a naturalized citizen of Montreal now, low-key and not looking to uproot himself. Moen can go anywhere else, and probably will, when the offers start rolling in on July 1st.

Keeping him past the deadline most likely just sets us up for either a) disappointment when he walks, or b) another overpayment ($2M? $2.5M?) for a replaceable depth player. Unless you get him now on your terms, better to assume he's gone after the season on his terms.

Habs 02-24-2012 11:15 AM

So Moen is untouchable for some odd reason? What a putz we have leading this team.

The Gal Pals 02-24-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seb (Post 44796913)
Trade him for picks.

Sign him this summer.

Smartest way to go.

MasterDecoy 02-24-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 44797383)
that's pretty much what "not available" means IMO... I mean, I'm pretty sure if another GM was calling to offer lets say 1st + top prospect, PG would agree on a deal... but for the others, thinking of a 2nd or average prospect, dont bother calling, we're buzy... or something! ;)

yeah, could be.

and players like moen, that can step up to temporary top 6 roles are rare. him, white and a badass center that can actually play would be a good 4th line.

Maliki2 02-24-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 44795835)
Tactical ploy to try to create a bidding auction.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Try to get people to overpay. Remember this is PG...he hasn't been exactly honest.