HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dreger: Hemsky offered 5 million (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1116897)

viper0220 02-24-2012 02:50 PM

Hemsky offered 5 million

Dreger is saying that Hemsky is offered 2 years at $5 million per season. If am Hemsky I take it and run because ou never know when he is going to be injured.

http://mobile.twitter.com/darrendreger

MurrayBannerman 02-24-2012 02:52 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgbiwvsY8K1qf8yek.gif

James Vanderbeek is just as shocked as I am.

Dasachtach 02-24-2012 02:53 PM

So Hemsky stays with the Derricks. No way he turns that down.

TorontoTrades 02-24-2012 02:53 PM

"@NHLFlames: $10 Million over two years for Hemsky is the funniest thing I've heard in a long, long time. I hope it happens. #whatajoke"

they've since apologized haha

OilerTyler 02-24-2012 02:54 PM

$5 million is a fair price for Hemsky, especially on a 2 year deal. Hopefully he takes it.

SaxMan 02-24-2012 02:54 PM

Oilers management once again proves that they are a joke.

OILSLICK94 02-24-2012 02:55 PM

Look it Teemu "frikin" Ruutu went for 4.75 for 4 years.....that set the market.....

Hell Fleischmann scored 5mil per last July.

SaxMan 02-24-2012 02:55 PM

Hemsky has done nothing this season to warrant 5 mill a season.

AtlantaWhaler 02-24-2012 02:55 PM

Whoa! That's a ton more than I expected. In 2008, this would have been nice...

King RAZZ 02-24-2012 02:55 PM

That won't even cover his medical bills...

tv14 02-24-2012 02:56 PM

2 years is perfect for the Oilers. Eberle and Hall will get new contracts in the last year of Hemsky's new contract and RNH the following year. This gives us an idea of what we can and cant afford, and we re-assess the Hemsky situation then. Only question is if Hemsky likes it.

Hatter 02-24-2012 02:56 PM

so much for getting Hemsky on the Kings

jumptheshark 02-24-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 (Post 44813641)
Look it Teemu "frikin" Ruutu went for 4.75 for 4 years.....that set the market.....

Hell Fleischmann scored 5mil per last July.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaxMan (Post 44813619)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaxMan (Post 44813675)
Hemsky has done nothing this season to warrant 5 mill a season.

whether we as fans like it or not--if you look at other players who have been signed in the last year or so--Hemsky is going into UFA space and that pushes the contract a bit

gifted88 02-24-2012 02:57 PM

You'd think he'd take a pay cut for some more term...

MISC* 02-24-2012 02:57 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zyy3hc.jpg

MrFunnyWobbl 02-24-2012 02:57 PM

Wow Overpaid.

Penalty Kill Icing* 02-24-2012 02:58 PM

I'd agree with Flames on this one.

txomisc 02-24-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 44813329)
Dreger is saying that Hemsky is offered 2 years at $5 million per season. If am Hemsky I take it and run because ou never know when he is going to be injured.

http://mobile.twitter.com/darrendreger

should trade him then offer him 5 per in the offseason. i doubt anyone else offers more.

Mc5RingsAndABeer 02-24-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaxMan (Post 44813619)

How is this a joke? Look at what players of Hemsky's calibre are getting. Feel free to discount a bit for injury.

He could EASILY get that much on the open market and would probably get more years too.

OILSLICK94 02-24-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonSexualManCrush (Post 44813875)

Battle of Alberta CONTINUES!!!

after the 6-1 spanking earlier in the week.....:laugh::laugh:

Flamers are a little peeved....

Vomiting Kermit* 02-24-2012 02:59 PM

Cross posting this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bugg (Post 44782487)
The Oilers will, one day soon, have to deal with the realities of Restricted Free Agency in the cap NHL. But at present, the club has a great deal of cap space heading into next season- $25MM, to be exact, according to CapGeek.

The double-standard has been touched on before in this thread, but to re-iterate: don't sign players, the Oilers are tanking intentionally for higher draft picks. Sign players, and the Oilers are inevitably making a large mistake and shouldn't bother.

But there's no large mistake here, not on a two-year deal; RFA status for Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall is one year away, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins two. Such a contract would in no way handcuff the Oilers. Prove it to me/us if you think otherwise. But it doesn't have any sort of logical underpinning.

Oh, and anyone who thinks that Hemsky's contract would somehow have bearing on those of the young guns should think again; 29 other teams will be the ones setting the price on Eberle, RNh and Hall- not Hemsky. In fact, if their respective agents do indeed choose to mention Hemmer's contract as a comparable, that's actually great news for the Oilers; if, during their highest-potential earning period, a player is only worth $5M per after 500 career games and 400 career points, there's no way any of the three kids can reasonably ask for that as RFAs.

I would argue that the downside of not signing Hemsky is larger than the risk of signing him:

Sign him, he sucks- Great, he's an Oiler for two years during a financially inconsequential period in franchise history. He can be waived, bought out, traded for table scraps... lots of options.

Sign him, he's good- Great, the Oilers have shown they're loyal to players they develop, and have the depth to compete for a playoff spot. $5M in today's NHL doesn't buy you very much up front in the UFA market (more on that later). The Oilers will be getting their money's worth.

Let him go, he sucks- Best case scenario for the Oilers. Or is it? Hemsky's job will have to be filled- probably in FA. Who is signing for less than $5M (again, see later) to play a critical top-six role? You end up with a player new to the organization and city, and most likely one signed to a 5-6 year contract. That is crippling if it doesn't work out.

Let him go, he's good- Worst case scenario for the Oilers. Edmonton's reputation as an 'exodus' city continues, with players both here and elsewhere having their stereotypes of the organization as one not committed to winning and disloyal to long-time talent strengthened.

So, what does $5M buy on the open market? Well, last summer:

-Tomas Fleischmann earned $18M/4 years ($4.5M per). Prior to signing as a UFA with Florida, Fleischmann's career high in points was 51. He had 31 points in 45 games in 2010-11.

-Ville Leino earned $27M/6 years ($4.5M per). Prior to that, Leino's career high in a season was 53 points. He had played less than 150 NHL games with 20 points over parts of two seasons with Philadelphia and Detroit.

-Tim Connolly is easily Hemsky's best comparable from last year's UFA market. With a career high of 65 points and a spotty injury history that limited him to 48, 48, 73 and 68 games before becoming a UFA, Connolly took home $9.5M over two years- $4.75M per. That's almost identical to the contract being discussed for Hemsky, and likely the starting point both sides will use in talks.

Hemsky's career high is 77 points. In fact, he has had three seasons as good or better than Leino and Fleischmann. The market would reward that accordingly.

So, in this post, I've substantiated- with examples- that:

-A two-year, $10M contract for Ales Hemsky would not be franchise-crippling.
-A two-year, $10M contract for Ales Hemsky is in fact more likely to reward the Oilers than hurt them.
-A two-year, $10M contract for Ales Hemsky is reasonable given the current market.

I eagerly await a well-thought-out response with similar counter-arguments. I fear, based on the vitriol present in this thread, that I would be better served waiting for Godot.

BLAME CANADA* 02-24-2012 02:59 PM

5 million for Hemsky is a joke, he's not worth that much

TrillMike 02-24-2012 02:59 PM

Isn't he about to be a UFA? If he doesn't sign and finishes strong won't this set the market for bigger offers?

Lucbourdon 02-24-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerTyler (Post 44813599)
$5 million is a fair price for Hemsky, especially on a 2 year deal. Hopefully he takes it.

Come on, are you serious? Hemsky has been a disaster for the oilers this year, and does not fit with the kids or the future AT ALL.

Paying a guy like hemsky 5m for floating around is an absolute and complete joke.

Freudian 02-24-2012 03:00 PM

Hemsky should demand a NMC if he chooses to re-sign with Oilers, to avoid being permanent trade bait.