HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Ref attacked after ejecting player (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1117095)

WhoozYerrDaddy 02-24-2012 06:32 PM

Ref attacked after ejecting player

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...194316237.html

Youth hockey association in Quebec cancels remainder of season after player attacks on ice official.

What are people in this world turning into ??

hockeymass 02-24-2012 07:45 PM

Disgusting behavior.

That said, it seems really unfair and heavyhanded to cancel the season for EVERY single team in the organization.

dwreckm 02-24-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymass (Post 44837639)
Disgusting behavior.

That said, it seems really unfair and heavyhanded to cancel the season for EVERY single team in the organization.

Yeah, really unfair for the kids in the program.

ponder 02-24-2012 08:41 PM

Reading the article, it's way worse than the title makes it sound, the one team hunted the refs down after the game, locked them in a room, and then semi-gang beat one of the refs. It was also sparked by a ref kicking a player out of the game because said player shot a puck at the ref.

ponder 02-24-2012 08:46 PM

Looked a bit deeper, quote from another article:
Quote:

Hockey officials in Kahnawake and two neighbouring municipalities all agreed to dissolve the team in question. Other Kahnawake teams will have home games moved off-site, the reserve's top hockey official said.

"This kind of attitude is unacceptable, not only in the Kahnawake Minor Hockey Association, but throughout our community," association president Peter Jacobs said, adding the assailants only represent a minority of players.

Jacobs also suggested security cameras might be installed in the local arena.

The regional head of referees, Olivier Lalonde, says what happened Sunday is just the latest in a series of Mohawk attacks on officials.

"For two years, I've seen fewer and fewer referees agreeing to go to Kahnawake because they fear for their safety," he said.

Last month, a player on the midget team was suspended for the remainder of the season after he assaulted a volunteer who had tried to intervene during a fight between Mohawk and non-native players.

Last year, the team finished first in its division but was barred from playoff action after players brawled and beat up a referee.
So it sounds like the other teams will still be playing hockey, just at a new rink, only the one team in question (The Kahnawake Mohawks) was truly dissolved. I'm guessing there have been many incidents at this rink in general if refs have been avoiding reffing there for some time.

hockeymass 02-24-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 44844803)

So it sounds like the other teams will still be playing hockey, just at a new rink, only the one team in question (The Kahnawake Mohawks) was truly dissolved. I'm guessing there have been many incidents at this rink in general if refs have been avoiding reffing there for some time.

Yeah, the original article was apparently a little unclear.

torero 02-24-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 44844803)

That sounds logical. i agree.

and if you click on the links in blue ... other articles describe other facts that happened with this same team in this same place ... like this same team being baren from playoffs the year before for attacking a referee and its officials.

in another article : " Other Kahnawake teams will have home games moved off-site, the reserve's top hockey official said"

Link of a much more complete and better written article here, the article that is being linked originally in this thread is definitely poor and incomplete.

(the other officials are a bit cowards between you and me :sarcasm:)

IDuck 02-25-2012 12:24 AM

that is a really scary behavior pattern, and i pray for these kids/familys to see that behavior for what it is....not good

BHDefensiveForward 02-25-2012 01:56 AM

Good thing I don't live in Quebec.

JoeCool16 02-25-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHDefensiveForward (Post 44860761)
Good thing I don't live in Quebec.

It's on a reserve. They're sometimes pretty sketchy and troubled, no matter the province.

Wilch 02-25-2012 03:48 PM

Not surprised this kind of stuff happens. For every level headed person who just wants to enjoy sports, there's a hot headed idiot jock.

The Lollipop King 02-25-2012 05:16 PM

Some refs are garbage and get whats coming to them.

Wilch 02-25-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lollipop King (Post 44901519)

Gang beating isn't exactly a solution.

headsigh 02-25-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Kerry Fraser would have done a much better job if everyone beat him up after every bad call, right?

Gino 14 02-25-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Must be you live on that reserve?

Czech Trio 02-25-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

:shakehead

The Lollipop King 02-26-2012 02:28 PM

Bad calls happen and people deal with it. A ref sees things differently and sometimes they make the wrong call.

Some refs clearly favor one team to another and make bad calls against one team and let other calls go against the other team. Those are the ones who deserve whats coming to them

Royal Canuck 02-27-2012 01:51 AM

bad calls are a part of hockey, trust me. We had a terrible ref at my game today and we didnt beat the living **** out of him because of it :laugh:

Ro Herregraven 02-27-2012 01:54 AM

No refs, no games.

Gino 14 02-27-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lollipop King (Post 44978131)
Bad calls happen and people deal with it. A ref sees things differently and sometimes they make the wrong call.

Some refs clearly favor one team to another and make bad calls against one team and let other calls go against the other team. Those are the ones who deserve whats coming to them

There is no justification for what happened, not even in your world.

ChiTownHawks 02-27-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 45030259)
There is no justification for what happened, not even in your world.

Exactly.

tarheelhockey 02-27-2012 08:52 AM

If you click on the article links inside that Puck Daddy article, some of the comments on those news sites provide a little perspective about the big picture. Sounds like there is a problem much bigger than whether the hockey refs are any good... it's more about racism and poverty, and kids full of testosterone and short on good judgment.

Alpine 02-27-2012 09:06 AM

Police called in after 13 year old ref ejects coach,player and hockey mom in a house league game in NB.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...tolerance.html

vapor11 02-27-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine (Post 45037385)
Police called in after 13 year old ref ejects coach,player and hockey mom in a house league game in NB.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...tolerance.html

a 13 year old ref? Is there not an age limit?

Nobody likes to be told how to do there job and yelled at..I find the best thing to do out there is you do your job..and let the refs do theirs

Alpine 02-27-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessel (Post 45038235)
a 13 year old ref? Is there not an age limit?

Nobody likes to be told how to do there job and yelled at..I find the best thing to do out there is you do your job..and let the refs do theirs

It was a Pee-Wee house league game.
Even Refs have to get game experience.