HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs coach change or coach changes? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1117301)

not quite yoda 02-24-2012 09:25 PM

Habs coach change or coach changes?

Habs under Martin this season:
13-12-7
Habs under Cunneyworth this season:
11-16-3

Would we have had a better record by now if we had kept Martin? If yes: why keep Cunneyworth?

pine 02-24-2012 09:26 PM

Habs with Martin: Fringe playoff team
Habs with Cunneyworth: Lottery team

Embrace the tank.

Pleky Roks 02-24-2012 09:31 PM

The Habs would have been in a playoff spot by now if they had kept Martin and still traded Cammalleri. I still maintain that he was the main reason why Martin got fired!!

Martin is a good coach that knows how to use his players to produce results. It was him that lead the Habs on their playoff run beating out the Pens and Caps.

Yes Martin's style might be a little boring and defensive...but it worked. He should have never been let go!!

not quite yoda 02-24-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 44849371)

Embrace the tank.

If we get a top 2 pick this year I will be thrilled.... but I don't think Gauthier is smart enough to have lost like this on purpose. He thought Cunneyworth would get us a better record. Yet we suck under Cunneyworth.

ECWHSWI 02-24-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not quite yoda (Post 44849977)
If we get a top 2 pick this year I will be thrilled.... but I don't think Gauthier is smart enough to have lost like this on purpose. He thought Cunneyworth would get us a better record. Yet we suck under Cunneyworth.

as smart as all the posters who thought pretty much anyone would do better than JM :nod:

ECWHSWI 02-24-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 44849371)

Embrace the tank.

lemme guess, you watched the whole game... and will continue to do so till the end of the season...

right ?

pine 02-24-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 44855165)
lemme guess, you watched the whole game... and will continue to do so till the end of the season...

right ?

Sure did

donghabs98 02-24-2012 11:11 PM

My Question is
Would you rather have boring hockey but win or entertaining hockey but lose

ECWHSWI 02-24-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 44855327)
Sure did

sure will ?

ECWHSWI 02-24-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donghabs98 (Post 44855343)
My Question is

when a fan, your team losing is NOT entertaining...

pine 02-24-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 44855441)
sure will ?

If I don't have anything better to do or other obligations, sure

ECWHSWI 02-24-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 44855547)
If I don't have anything better to do or other obligations, sure

I see...

so, unless there's something good on TV, friend "beeping" you for a NHL12 game, some place to go (like at the grocery)... you'll watch...

embrace... yeah! :nod:

Habit11 02-24-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 44855487)
when a fan, your team losing is NOT entertaining...

IDK, watching the 1st Caps goal tonight did make me laugh pretty hard, but then yeah, I felt bad soon after.

ECWHSWI 02-24-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habit11 (Post 44855837)
IDK, watching the 1st Caps goal tonight did make me laugh pretty hard, but then yeah, I felt bad soon after.

good thing Caps scored a 2nd to put a smile back in your face... ;)

Habit11 02-24-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 44855913)
good thing Caps scored a 2nd to put a smile back in your face... ;)

The 2nd goal didn't include Kaberle watching his life pass before his eyes like the 1st one did, so not as much comedy on that one.

TheBuriedHab 02-24-2012 11:31 PM

rather tank than watch boring hockey and finish 9th or 8th.

Vanek20 02-24-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

My Question is

How can a dump and chase system be fun?? Please tell me. All the things that Cunneyworth praises is even more boring than what JM was praising. Cunneyworth is 100% DUMP IT AND CHASE IT, DONT THINK. Cunneyworth is as boring if not more boring than JM...and the difference is that we won some crucial games with JM's style. Time to bring a new coach that knows something about hockey (two names in mind, Michel Therrien and Randy Carlyle, though I dont know if Carlyle is a defensive coach?!)

Change GM and change coach, please.

ECWHSWI 02-24-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab (Post 44856207)
rather tank than watch boring hockey and finish 9th or 8th.

you're not watching ?

Kriss E 02-25-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

My Question is

My question to you is...

Are you being entertained?..

This is some of the worse hockey I've seen from a Habs team in a long while. Really horrible.

Under Martin, the fan that likes offense would find games boring, but if you were able to appreciate a defensive game for what it is, then you were still entertained.
Very similar to guys saying a MMA fight was boring because the guys were on the ground the whole fight. Some can't appreciate good BJJ or wrestling, they need the fast pace stand up fight.

We have no system in place. It reminds me of the Carbo days, except we at least had Kovalev, Markov and Koivu. They made the team entertaining with some of their moves, plays and finish.
Right now, when we have the puck in our zone, with any type of pressure, it's out against the board. If we skate out with it, then it's cross the red line to dump and chase it. When we score, it's usually a garbage play in front of the net or a rebound. How often have we seen some really nice plays that lead to goals, or even without scoring? Not too many times. When you bench the most creative forwards with the puck and hands (Eller and AK) then it's not all that surprising. It's one of the reasons why I don't want AK gone (unless we get a good overpayment return). Even if he only does once in a while, if he leaves, who on are team are we going to see deke a player???? It's pathetic.

Hockey at its most boring style.

So, would you rather have a defensive team win, or a wannabe offensive/forechecking one lose?

Rise from the Ashes 02-25-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 44858193)
My question to you is...

Are you being entertained?..

This is some of the worse hockey I've seen from a Habs team in a long while. Really horrible.

Under Martin, the fan that likes offense would find games boring, but if you were able to appreciate a defensive game for what it is, then you were still entertained.
Very similar to guys saying a MMA fight was boring because the guys were on the ground the whole fight. Some can't appreciate good BJJ or wrestling, they need the fast pace stand up fight.

We have no system in place. It reminds me of the Carbo days, except we at least had Kovalev, Markov and Koivu. They made the team entertaining with some of their moves, plays and finish.
Right now, when we have the puck in our zone, with any type of pressure, it's out against the board. If we skate out with it, then it's cross the red line to dump and chase it.
Hockey at its most boring style.

So, would you rather have a defensive team win, or a wannabe offensive/forechecking one lose?

Couldnt agree more. Martin took the fall, but he wasnt the problem.

LyricalLyricist 02-25-2012 12:50 AM

JM had a system. He was and is the better coach. I think we're a playoff team with JM. Anyway, new direction and **** happens so I don't mind. The consolation is that if we get a decent coach, this team SHOULD be better next year if they do minor tweaks like getting another shutdown D instead of kaberle and getting a solid 4th line center. I think that would already help our playoff chances.

TheBuriedHab 02-25-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 44856387)
you're not watching ?

Nope.

Mrb1p 02-25-2012 01:32 AM

Yep, get Michel Therrien back being the bench.

FisherKing 02-25-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain G (Post 44856373)
How can a dump and chase system be fun?? Please tell me. All the things that Cunneyworth praises is even more boring than what JM was praising. Cunneyworth is 100% DUMP IT AND CHASE IT, DONT THINK. Cunneyworth is as boring if not more boring than JM...and the difference is that we won some crucial games with JM's style. Time to bring a new coach that knows something about hockey (two names in mind, Michel Therrien and Randy Carlyle, though I dont know if Carlyle is a defensive coach?!)

Change GM and change coach, please.

Not sure but I doubt Carlyle speaks French so think that's a non-starter. Didn't like Therrien much when he was here and still don't. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Paul Maurice, although not sure he speaks French, sometimes the francophone name can fool a person. Just wondering if he might be an option the Habs look at. Dunno.

Mrb1p 02-25-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FisherKing (Post 44862419)
Not sure but I doubt Carlyle speaks French so think that's a non-starter. Didn't like Therrien much when he was here and still don't. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Paul Maurice, although not sure he speaks French, sometimes the francophone name can fool a person. Just wondering if he might be an option the Hags look at. Dunno.

Paul Maurice name is pronounced in english so i doubt he's french.