HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Stu Bickel? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1117325)

DelZottoHitTheNetJK 02-24-2012 09:58 PM

Stu Bickel?

Can someone explain to me why Stu ****ing Bickel is in the lineup? I know he was playing D tonight (he actually had a halfway decent game) but why on gods green earth has he been playing at forward the past few games when we have Wolski good to go? I read somewhere that if the Rangers send Bickel back down he has to clear waivers and someone would likely claim him.. is that true? Because if not, I need whatever hasheesh Tortorella is smoking by keeping him as a forward over Wolski/Zuccarello. SOMEONE please explain this to me...

JeffMangum 02-24-2012 09:59 PM

Why would Tortorella play Wolski/Zuccarello in a fourth line role? He was clearly satisfied with his top-9.

nyy19891 02-24-2012 10:00 PM

Bickel is alright, he is not a good player, he fights, hustles and scraps. He should be a healthy scratch.

bobbop 02-24-2012 10:03 PM

I think he's been improving as he goes. Played well tonight and got some third period minutes.

SlingshotVv 02-24-2012 10:04 PM

Bickel had a strong game tonight.

Jackson Ranger 02-24-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingshotVv (Post 44851951)
Bickel had a strong game tonight.

Besides McDonogh and Staal, Bickel played a very good game. If you want your 6th defenseman to be a difference, this team has more troubles than listed.

wolfgaze 02-24-2012 10:14 PM

When he's not taking minors, he's not really hurting the team.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK 02-24-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith (Post 44851669)
Why would Tortorella play Wolski/Zuccarello in a fourth line role? He was clearly satisfied with his top-9.

It's not impossible to shake up the lines to give Wolski a top-9 role. On an offensively challenged team, Torts should have had Wolski in when Feds went down. Why Stu Bickel, a defenseman, had to play a fourth line role as a winger is beyond me. We're talking about a guy that couldn't remember if he was playing forward or defense in the Pitt game. If he played 20 seconds a night, it still would have been too much when we have guys chomping at the bit to get in the lineup that can pot goals here and there. I don't care what anyone says, Wolski hasn't been given a fair shot at all this year despite being injured. 9 games and some of us are writing him off? I see posts all over the place saying "Wolski had his shot." What shot?

Gaborik-Anisimov-Stepan
Hagelin-Richards-Callahan
Wolski-Dubinsky-Prust

or something along those lines. We all want more goals, yet I don't hear anyone complain about Stu freakin' Bickel playing forward even if its only 5 min a game when the lines could have more offense infused within if our coach wasn't a stubborn old *******. Either that or like I said in the OP, there's something I'm missing about the situation regarding Bickel (can't be sent down for fear of losing him, etc.) For the amount of total plugs that are on this team, the fact that we have a commanding lead in the East is a miracle.

Brian Boyle 02-24-2012 10:18 PM

I think the Rangers are making a conscious effort to make Bickel feel like he is a part of the team going forward because they'd like to re-sign him. He'll be a Group VI UFA this summer.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK 02-24-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -31- (Post 44852733)
I think the Rangers are making a conscious effort to make Bickel feel like he is a part of the team going forward because they'd like to re-sign him. He'll be a Group VI UFA this summer.

I actually feel the opposite. I would not be surprised at all to see Bickel traded before the deadline for a draft pick. I remember watching a game (trying to remember which game) where Bickel was clearly brutal all game. Then Tortorella in the post game is saying "high marks to the kid" when everyone from here to China knew he was a total liability all game. I think it's a ploy to get whatever value they can for him whether it be a pick or a prospect at the deadline because they have no plans of resigning him. Think about it.. we have Eminger back and Woywitka close to returning, and eventually Sauer will be back. That leaves the following on D:

Staal
Girardi
McDonagh
Del Zotto
Stralman
Eminger
Sauer
Woywitka
Erixon (next year?)

All of which are better than Bickel with Erixon being the current exception. I firmly believe he has no future with the NYR except as a depth guy in CT.

BBKers 02-25-2012 04:21 AM

Bickel is a possible poor mans solution as a future 7th D if McIllrath is snagged in a trade for an upgrade up front on fwd. I think he has been very up & down, but provides a lot lot of Raging Bull heart in tough games against scrappy teams and has proven to be a detriment here. With him, Rupp and Prust on the ice we are quite the sandpaper team that will not get pushed around consistently. I think Torts sees that and likes it. He is a cheap, good solution for this regular season 82 game grinding role that has a team "all for on, one for all" motto written all over it.
Takes pressure off of Prust, which has done him good physically (not on the scoresheet though - but that is an entirely different issue - our 3rd line has 16!!!! goals only, probably worst in the league) and plays a big role on PK too. Plus he is doing quite a bit of shutdown play too. If Bickel/Rupp are not on the team, Prust would most likely be all battered up again like last year. Smart move altogether by Torts (am I saying this?) actually.
I think he could have a future role on the NYR (especially if Big Mac is dealt) as a cheap solution on a #13/14 man up front also to be used on D in certain situations pending injuries aso. Kind of like Jason Strudwick (who incidentally is playing for my brothers team right now in Sweden). Total team guy, full of heart, not much of a player (did not look bad at all yesterday though...) but a role player that a team like ours needs. He is not there to provide offense for chrissakes - something else. All this withstanding - he could very well be dealt before Monday 3 PM EST. Time will tell.

Radek27 02-25-2012 04:36 AM

Time for Duby to hit the 4th line and get Wolski in there. He's out of the tub now Torts!

UlfNilsson 02-25-2012 08:40 AM

Mmmm... Stewed pickles.

Stepanformayor* 02-25-2012 11:07 AM

More the question to me is what is Mike Rupp doin' in the line? When was the last time Rupp was in a fight? How bout this..When was the last time Rupp won a fight? No one fears Rupp.. I'll take Bickel any day over Rupp. At least Bickel comes to play every night..:yo:

Leetch66 02-25-2012 11:17 AM

Agree...agree agree ! Resign Stu around 700,000and drop Rupp and use the extra 800,000 to pay somebody else like an RFA of ours that will want it . Stu has made Rupp very replaceable these days .

Aileen C* 02-25-2012 01:26 PM

I don't care how strong a game he has. He can't put the puck in the net.

Rangers Fail 02-25-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aileen C (Post 44881995)
I don't care how strong a game he has. He can't put the puck in the net.

Neither can anyone else in our bottom 6.

Vitto79 02-25-2012 01:37 PM

relax Sather is going to get a vet rental for a pick by the deadline.

I actually think Eminger may get dealt but hope he stays as the 7th and Bickel is used as the spare 4th liner/D

btw Woywitka really should be in the minors? Waived tomorrow so a team doesnt bother getting him? Wont be eligible for their playoffs but will for the Rangers

petejudge 02-26-2012 11:55 AM

just because bickel isn't scoring doesn't make him useless. it's extremely valuable having a 4th line that can play really physical and actually come back into the defensive zone. having bickel out there is basically like having a shut down physical forward line with 3 defensemen. i would rather have bickel on the 4th line than mza. in fact, if they resign him i'm very excited to have him as a healthy scratch that can jump in as a forward or defenseman.

GWOW 02-26-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski (Post 44851591)
Can someone explain to me why Stu ****ing Bickel is in the lineup? I know he was playing D tonight (he actually had a halfway decent game) but why on gods green earth has he been playing at forward the past few games when we have Wolski good to go? I read somewhere that if the Rangers send Bickel back down he has to clear waivers and someone would likely claim him.. is that true? Because if not, I need whatever hasheesh Tortorella is smoking by keeping him as a forward over Wolski/Zuccarello. SOMEONE please explain this to me...

The only good thing about Bickel getting these minutes is that if one of the bottom d-men goes down, he'd be somewhat fresh to take over until he gets healthy.

For the playoffs, i think it will be:

Mac-Girardi
MDZ-Stralman
Staal-New Veteran at deadline

Eminger
Bickel
Woywitka

BBKers 02-26-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by German Way of War (Post 44966195)
The only good thing about Bickel getting these minutes is that if one of the bottom d-men goes down, he'd be somewhat fresh to take over until he gets healthy.

For the playoffs, i think it will be:

Mac-Girardi
MDZ-Stralman
Staal-New Veteran at deadline

Eminger
Bickel
Woywitka

Woywitka is as good as gone imo
We are most likely going to acquire another depth VET defender (one of SOB, Sarich or Spacek? seems plausible)
Cannot have 9 D on the roster plus Sauer on LTIR
Bobbop (with good Coyote connections) mentioned a Phoenix interest for Woywitka.
Betting he goes there for a 7th (Phoenix has two already in 2012) and then either "getting our pick back" from either the Mitchell (2012) or Christensen (2013) trades where we lost our 7ths already. Makes sense - no?

Punxrocknyc19* 02-26-2012 12:25 PM

i really dont want OBrien which has been rumored..id rather get Wilson from the Avs..he is a little more expensive but a better dman... what is his value? ..http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473700 maybe Zuccarello, Thomas and 2ed

hahaha traded with Lawrence Nycholat remember him :sarcasm:

RangerFan10 02-26-2012 04:04 PM

I like Bickel as a 6/7 dman. He's better than Woywitka.

I don't really like him as a 4th line forward, but it's kind of a moot point. Torts plays that line sparingly, and he's been going with odouble shifted on that line often when Bickel is in the lineup.

I think Torts likes having Bickel in the lineup so it's in the back of some of the d-men's heads that Bickel could slide in while they ride the pine.

Sean Aviary 02-26-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerFan10 (Post 44985571)
I think Torts likes having Bickel in the lineup so it's in the back of some of the d-men's heads that Bickel could slide in while they ride the pine.

This certainly helps when you have eight defensemen on the active roster. Several of them are playing about their projected level, due to the Rangers strong defensive system, good positional coaching, and knowing that their replacement is already competing for their spot if they're not making mistakes.

collegehockeyguy 02-27-2012 09:12 PM

got nearly 15 minutes tonight. no penalties or goals against. good to see him finding continued success.