HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   3 days in NYC...review of Rangers Fans... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1117655)

Step 02-25-2012 10:07 AM

3 days in NYC...review of Rangers Fans...
 
Not sure if you guys get this all the time on your board, but my wife and I stayed in NYC this past week for 3 days. Having visited a number of American cities I can say that the the hockey fans can be somewhat hard to find. Not so in The City. Even in the middle of "Lin-Sanity" I came across hundreds of folks with Rangers sweaters everywhere (ranging from Messier and Gretzky to Girardi and Callahan jerseys). We had a wicked meal at The Flying Puck pub (during the Rangers-Penguins game) and hung out and met lots of really informed and super passionate fans. The atmosphere in that place is awesome. Also checked out Wee Molly's pub (based on reco's on your board here) - great little hockey pub.

Gotta say, super impressed with the passionate and intelligent (one guy we met even knew Ottawa's 6 forwards on our two top lines) Rangers fans in the city. It's weird coming across hockey fans where people are opinionated and rowdy without coming off like **********. We had an awesome time.

NyRangers88 02-25-2012 10:13 AM

Well thank you kind sir :)

Mr Atoz* 02-25-2012 02:33 PM

Was that you?

I promise I'll send your watch back.

GodlyRangers 02-25-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step (Post 44867659)
Not sure if you guys get this all the time on your board, but my wife and I stayed in NYC this past week for 3 days. Having visited a number of American cities I can say that the the hockey fans can be somewhat hard to find. Not so in The City. Even in the middle of "Lin-Sanity" I came across hundreds of folks with Rangers sweaters everywhere (ranging from Messier and Gretzky to Girardi and Callahan jerseys). We had a wicked meal at The Flying Puck pub (during the Rangers-Penguins game) and hung out and met lots of really informed and super passionate fans. The atmosphere in that place is awesome. Also checked out Wee Molly's pub (based on reco's on your board here) - great little hockey pub.

Gotta say, super impressed with the passionate and intelligent (one guy we met even knew Ottawa's 6 forwards on our two top lines) Rangers fans in the city. It's weird coming across hockey fans where people are opinionated and rowdy without coming off like **********. We had an awesome time.


The Flying Puck is the best, I am there for every game. Cheers :)

GregSirico 02-25-2012 02:38 PM

Grazie!!! ;)

Megustaelhockey 02-25-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step (Post 44867659)
Not sure if you guys get this all the time on your board, but my wife and I stayed in NYC this past week for 3 days. Having visited a number of American cities I can say that the the hockey fans can be somewhat hard to find. Not so in The City. Even in the middle of "Lin-Sanity" I came across hundreds of folks with Rangers sweaters everywhere (ranging from Messier and Gretzky to Girardi and Callahan jerseys). We had a wicked meal at The Flying Puck pub (during the Rangers-Penguins game) and hung out and met lots of really informed and super passionate fans. The atmosphere in that place is awesome. Also checked out Wee Molly's pub (based on reco's on your board here) - great little hockey pub.

Gotta say, super impressed with the passionate and intelligent (one guy we met even knew Ottawa's 6 forwards on our two top lines) Rangers fans in the city. It's weird coming across hockey fans where people are opinionated and rowdy without coming off like **********. We had an awesome time.

Likewise I found the fans in Ottawa to be the friendliest in Canada when I visited. It just took me two hours to get back to the hotel after the game, lol.

GregSirico 02-25-2012 02:41 PM

Best NYR bars:
The Flying Puck
Stout
Cafe 31
Blarney Stone

if you ever come back ;)

Machinehead 02-25-2012 03:15 PM

You're welcome back any time :nod:

Step 02-25-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregSirico (Post 44888615)
Best NYR bars:
The Flying Puck
Stout
Cafe 31
Blarney Stone

if you ever come back ;)

Thanks man, we'll definitely be back and I'll store those for later use :)

And Megustaelhockey, I agree...getting back downtown in Ottawa is a serious pain in the ass. I loved going to the Flying Puck/4 other places after the game (10 beers in, can't really remember lol) and paying 10 bucks in a cab to our hotel in the West Village. Took like 5 minutes. I'm super envious of you guys in that city...you have it REALLY good. Can't wait to go back.

patnyrnyg 02-25-2012 05:38 PM

Another place near MSG to check out is the Triple Crown. A few blocks down from the Flying puck. Not a hockey bar, but much better food, good beer, and not as packed as the above places named. I've parked my car on 31st at 6pm, went to the bar, got served and had no problem being in my seat for the anthem(s).

GregSirico 02-25-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step (Post 44896033)
Thanks man, we'll definitely be back and I'll store those for later use :)

And Megustaelhockey, I agree...getting back downtown in Ottawa is a serious pain in the ass. I loved going to the Flying Puck/4 other places after the game (10 beers in, can't really remember lol) and paying 10 bucks in a cab to our hotel in the West Village. Took like 5 minutes. I'm super envious of you guys in that city...you have it REALLY good. Can't wait to go back.

You would be upset if you see what we pay in rent.

NyRangers88 02-25-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregSirico (Post 44905113)
You would be upset if you see what we pay in rent.

Or pay for a daily train ticket.

GregSirico 02-25-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers88 (Post 44905213)
Or pay for a daily train ticket.

that too .. I take the express bus into Manhattan every day for work ... that **** gets expensive ($11.00 a day round trip).

Not to mention lunches and what a beer costs. UGH. I need to hit the lotto.

Giacomin 02-25-2012 11:03 PM

NYC is the greatest place in the World. Unfortunately a lot of people take it for granted. The famous saying is "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" just as Joe Namath, Mark Messier, Eli Manning etc. those guys are set forever based on their performance in the Big Apple!

Mr Atoz* 02-26-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step (Post 44896033)
Thanks man, we'll definitely be back and I'll store those for later use :)

And Megustaelhockey, I agree...getting back downtown in Ottawa is a serious pain in the ass. I loved going to the Flying Puck/4 other places after the game (10 beers in, can't really remember lol) and paying 10 bucks in a cab to our hotel in the West Village. Took like 5 minutes. I'm super envious of you guys in that city...you have it REALLY good. Can't wait to go back.


No matter how big of a hockey fan you are, if you come to the city and only go to sports bars your wasting your visit to the greatest city in the world.

Better to come here once and do it right than come 5 times on the cheap. Really.

GregSirico 02-26-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Atoz (Post 44961861)
No matter how big of a hockey fan you are, if you come to the city and only go to sports bars your wasting your visit to the greatest city in the world.

Better to come here once and do it right than come 5 times on the cheap. Really.

Also, NY never really has a "down time" ... the summer is pretty expensive for travel and so is the fall/winter. I would say if there is any time where it's cheap to travel to NY it would be around now (FEB-MAY)

WeWillWinTonight 02-26-2012 11:18 AM

Awesome Glad you enjoyed it

BrooklynRangersFan 02-26-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregSirico (Post 44962407)
Also, NY never really has a "down time" ... the summer is pretty expensive for travel and so is the fall/winter. I would say if there is any time where it's cheap to travel to NY it would be around now (FEB-MAY)

No, spring is pretty bad too. I'd say the best time would likely be starting about a week after New Year's through maybe the end of March.

In any event, as others have said - glad you had a good time. Welcome back any time. We love other hockey fans as long as they're not arrogant (e.g. MTL) or thuggish (e.g. PHI).

GregSirico 02-26-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 44966529)
No, spring is pretty bad too. I'd say the best time would likely be starting about a week after New Year's through maybe the end of March.

In any event, as others have said - glad you had a good time. Welcome back any time. We love other hockey fans as long as they're not arrogant (e.g. MTL) or thuggish (e.g. PHI).

I've actually met a lot of great people from Montreal .. Philly on the other hand ... meh.

nyrmessier011 02-26-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregSirico (Post 44888615)
Best NYR bars:
The Flying Puck
Stout
Cafe 31
Blarney Stone

if you ever come back ;)

Van diemens better than all of those. Always sound and fans

GregSirico 02-26-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 (Post 44973147)
Van diemens better than all of those. Always sound and fans

Never been there :cheers:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.