HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick opinion: synergy st vs. supreme one80 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1118817)

Loyal2TheOil 02-26-2012 06:54 AM

Stick opinion: synergy st vs. supreme one80

Hey guys I was looking to grab a new stick and I usually don't spend more than the $100 price range (I grabbed a vapor x:40, and 6K as my last two sticks) and I was thinking about spending a bit more. I was debating between the Easton synergy ST and the Bauer supreme one80. Just looking for some feedback from anyone who has used either or both. Why do you like/dislike either stick? Thanks.

AIREAYE 02-26-2012 05:15 PM

I'd go for the ST purely for the durability and performance. Both aspects are superior to the One80 for example, which is a pricepoint product. Coming from the X:40 and 6K, you might want to stick with the traditional low-kick characteristics of the ST as well, although the One80 is an excellent choice if you want to experiment with mid-kick sticks, provided you can find your flex/curve.

The ST was built with multiple layers of kevlar wrap as part of its construction, which gives the shaft its excellent durability. The blade features 3 carbon bridges (only stick to have that many) which add to durability and rigidity. Although not as high performing as other top-end sticks, the ST is still considered a top-end stick with a workhorse work ethic. Many Easton sticks you see in the NHL are actually repainted STs, the technology in this stick has been on the market for many years and is a proven product.

r3cc0s 02-26-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 44993183)
I'd go for the ST purely for the durability and performance. Both aspects are superior to the One80 for example, which is a pricepoint product. Coming from the X:40 and 6K, you might want to stick with the traditional low-kick characteristics of the ST as well, although the One80 is an excellent choice if you want to experiment with mid-kick sticks, provided you can find your flex/curve.

The ST was built with multiple layers of kevlar wrap as part of its construction, which gives the shaft its excellent durability. The blade features 3 carbon bridges (only stick to have that many) which add to durability and rigidity. Although not as high performing as other top-end sticks, the ST is still considered a top-end stick with a workhorse work ethic. Many Easton sticks you see in the NHL are actually repainted STs, the technology in this stick has been on the market for many years and is a proven product.

I am a huge fan of the Synergys and the ST just works great if you're not into replacing them often :)

its a simple, non-tapered non-nonsence stick... though they say a "low" not a really low kickpoint and I don't think I've been able to slap a shot any harder than this one, even an S19 or One95
It's blade feel to me, is like almost any other synergy, regardless of the Elite, SE16 or EQ50

My 2nd gen says 460g's as its weight, so its not that far off than the last generation synergy's (i.e. EQ50) and yet bolds more durability than I think any other Easton or even Bauer

Loyal2TheOil 02-26-2012 10:34 PM

thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated! I was leaning towards the ST because ive heard it has very good durability (the guy said ST stands for "super tough" which im not sure about). I'm very intrigued by the one80 because of the pricepoint and the mid kickpoint but I think the ST is too good of a stick to pass up on.

just out of curiosity, other than the supreme line, what other sticks have the mid kickpoint?

AIREAYE 02-26-2012 10:47 PM

It stands for Super Tough! :D

Reebok's A.i series would be the next most prominent one (might as well add the O-Stick series from before). A couple Warrior sticks as well (the entry level Esquire and the spring release top-end EVO).

ponder 02-26-2012 11:00 PM

I've used both, prefer the one80. I have an 85 flex ST, and it feels stiffer than rated, though I've tried a 75 flex and they feel quite whippy, IMO there's much more of a difference between the 75 and 85 STs than there is between 75 and 85 sticks in most lines. My ST though just feels fairly dead/unresponsive on snap and wrist shots, I don't like the way it kicks, has a bit of that "playing with a 2x4" feeling, while the one80 loads nicely for me. I do like the ST for slap shots, can really lean into them, but for wrist and snap shots I don't like it much. I also prefer the puck feel on the one80. Balance and weight is similar, durability is probably a bit better on the ST, but the one80 should be durable too. It's all personal preference, but for myself I'd go with the one80 without a second thought.

Note, all of these comments are for the older, blue/silver STs, not sure if they changed them at all with the newer matte black/orange ones.

AIREAYE 02-26-2012 11:10 PM

Yeah I believe they tweaked the kevlar wrap pattern on the newest 4th gen STs.

r3cc0s 02-26-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 45021841)
Yeah I believe they tweaked the kevlar wrap pattern on the newest 4th gen STs.

gotta wonder what's changed... the last time I picked up an ST, it felt heavier as well

but no synergy really feels like a low kick point taper stick... even my crappy S11 on the snap/wristers seems to "feel" like more action

but with a proper weight transfer, I find all the synergy sticks to really rip'em pretty good

that being said, Chara used an S15 to rip a 105.9 and Weber hit into the 106 this year with an S19

AIREAYE 02-27-2012 09:19 AM

Yes you're right, the ST doesn't have the low kick that you see more and more of nowadays. I would say it's a traditional feeling kick, or a more neutral taper.