HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Prospect Info: Tyler Cuma (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1118907)

a79krgm 02-26-2012 10:28 AM

Tyler Cuma

Drafted: 2008 1st Round (23rd)
Pro Seasons: 2
Stats: 54 GMS, 0 G, 6 A, 6 Pts (as of Feb, 25th)

I think most people can agree that Cuma is no longer considered a top prospect. I just want to know what happened?

In 2008 so many great young defenseman were available. ... Drew Doughty,Alex Pietrangelo,Tyler Myers,Zach Bogosian, Michael Del Zotto to name a few. Did the fact that this draft was top-heavy on defensive talent somehow cloud the scout's judgment on Cuma?

... and why was Macro Scandella NOT a first rounder. (instead almost a 3rd rounder)?

El Nino22 02-26-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a79krgm (Post 44959721)
Drafted: 2008 1st Round (23rd)
Pro Seasons: 2
Stats: 54 GMS, 0 G, 6 A, 6 Pts (as of Feb, 25th)

I think most people can agree that Cuma is no longer considered a top prospect. I just want to know what happened?

In 2008 so many great young defenseman were available. ... Drew Doughty,Alex Pietrangelo,Tyler Myers,Zach Bogosian, Michael Del Zotto to name a few. Did the fact that this draft was top-heavy on defensive talent somehow cloud the scout's judgment on Cuma?

... and why was Macro Scandella NOT a first rounder. (instead almost a 3rd rounder)?

Cuma still has potential to be a top prospect for the Wild. If you remember in his draft year he just about made the Wild out of camp. Cuma's biggest problem is injuries. He has yet to be able to play a full season of pro hockey or even juniors for that matter. This year he has finally stayed healthy, and he has looked good. The 6 assists might seem low, but even in junior Cuma never was a big offensive guy numbers wise. I see his point totals more as a victum of the constantly depleted Aero's team than his own lack of ability. I see Cuma really as an Andrej Sekera type. Good skater, can move the puck, very solid in his own end, and will top out at about 30 points at the pro level.

Avder 02-26-2012 12:05 PM

Right now the Wild seem content to let him develop in Houston and I think they are right to do that. With his injury issues I cant imagine his development has been smooth. Spending a year in the same place to work on his game is probably the best possible thing for him at this point.

ShutDownDefense 02-26-2012 12:18 PM

Cuma's only 22, yeah his development has been drawn back because injuries, but give him time, maybe in two years he'll be apart of our D plan.

Jarick 02-26-2012 01:06 PM

Russo said mgmt wanted to keep him in Houston all year. Each of the last two years he had season ending knee injuries. Dunno if he's going to break out at some point but he might get a look next year. Otherwise...

saywut 02-26-2012 01:49 PM

Injuries at the critical years of development really hurt Cuma. He almost played his way onto our team as an 18 year old in 08-09. He was set to make team Canada at the WJC but an injury in camp cost him that chance. He came back a lesser player, evident that he couldn't crack the WJC team the next season. Another injury last year. If not for the knee injury late 2008(pre-WJC), he's in his 2nd/3rd season in the NHL(IMO). Set him back significantly, and he hasn't been able to recover. There's still hope but nearly 2 years into his pro career without getting a look is worrisome, especially with our defense and the injuries that forced an emergency signing of a teammate(Fredheim) over recalling him.

Why was Scandella drafted late in the 2nd? Well, he was a couple years removed from being an undersized forward, and only had 1 season of experience in the Q on a weak team.

Dr Jan Itor 02-26-2012 02:59 PM

I think Cuma can still become a very solid option for the 3rd pairing. Give him another (hopefully) injury-free year in Houston next year, and then see if he can make the jump.

Circulartheory 02-26-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor (Post 44980605)
I think Cuma can still become a very solid option for the 3rd pairing. Give him another (hopefully) injury-free year in Houston next year, and then see if he can make the jump.

I'm in this school of thought.

I've lost any hope he has top 4 potential anymore. Losing that much development time (and still have trouble with that at the present) is extremely detrimental.

bozak911 02-26-2012 11:17 PM

i have different thoughts on cuma.

he is a nick schultz type defenseman at this stage in his career. add in his stronger ability to move the puck up and our, i still see him as a stable second pairing dude.