HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Diaz and Weber (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1119299)

rockjngo 02-26-2012 04:48 PM

Diaz and Weber

I've seen these two play for almost a full season. If I was scouting, I would say these two are not NHL defenseman. Both have 16 points this season, which is ok for a defenseman, but defensively they are terrible. Undersize and have tough time with bigger forwards. I'm not really sure what they are. Weber has been around for some time. He still cannot run the powerplay. Diaz is 25-26, which isn't young and cannot quarterback a powerplay. I just don't know what they offer, always running around in our defensive zone. Sure if we play 7 defenseman, they Weber and Diaz are useful. You see guys like Timonen, Enstrom, Boyle with their lack of size, but they are always in position to make a play out of the zone. Diaz and Weber seem lost. If we can get rid of these two our defense would be better. If we can get another Emelin and vet, our defense would be better.

WhiskeySeven 02-26-2012 04:50 PM

Diaz is actually really good defensively. He kills plays with ease and stability. Let him develop a bit more, he's gonna be a top4 minute-cruncher d-man.

Weber is terrible defensively and has nothing going for him.

BLONG7 02-26-2012 04:51 PM

They both are too soft around their net...picked that up from Shallow Hal ;)

Kenny Powders 02-26-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjngo (Post 44990547)
If I was scouting.

And guess what, your not!

Diaz is a really good player, it's his first year in the NHL and he's doing fairly well considering he's playing good minutes.

Weber is just not in his element here.

SouthernHab 02-26-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

I've seen these two play for almost a full season. If I was scouting, I would say these two are not NHL defenseman. Both have 16 points this season, which is ok for a defenseman, but defensively they are terrible. Undersize and have tough time with bigger forwards. I'm not really sure what they are. Weber has been around for some time. He still cannot run the powerplay. Diaz is 25-26, which isn't young and cannot quarterback a powerplay. I just don't know what they offer, always running around in our defensive zone. Sure if we play 7 defenseman, they Weber and Diaz are useful. You see guys like Timonen, Enstrom, Boyle with their lack of size, but they are always in position to make a play out of the zone. Diaz and Weber seem lost. If we can get rid of these two our defense would be better. If we can get another Emelin and vet, our defense would be better.

Two of the reasons our season is where it is right now. Very soft and out of position a lot.

You have pissed off the Diaz fanboys with this thread though.

Andy 02-26-2012 04:59 PM

Diaz? Diaz has been good this season.

Weber has been terrible.

danisonfire 02-26-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Powders (Post 44990965)
And guess what, your not!

Diaz is a really good player, it's his first year in the NHL and he's doing fairly well considering he's playing good minutes.

Weber is just not in his element here.

First thing that came to my mind :laugh: Both need to develop.

LyricalLyricist 02-26-2012 05:02 PM

They both have upside. Glad we got rid of Gill, let the kids play.

Lshap 02-26-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernHab (Post 44991137)
Two of the reasons our season is where it is right now. Very soft and out of position a lot.

You have pissed off the Diaz fanboys with this thread though.

That's fan-MAN to you, bucko! Seriously, I'm one of the people who likes Diaz, but because of the player he's gradually becoming. Yes, a big reason our season went into cardiac arrest was our non-existent defense, which included the inexperienced scrambling of Diaz and Emelin. But both their learning curves have impressed me. Emelin's becoming the tough, scary D we all were drooling over, and Diaz is becoming a smart, crisp-passing D whose value is increasing. The Diaz we see now is miles ahead of the guy he was in October. His future upside might not be as big as Emelin, but he's a valuable 5th or 6th already, and might move up the charts a bit with more experience.

Weber is... interesting. Still very young, with flashes of hard-hitting aggressiveness, offensive ability and a great shot. Balance that with his mistakes and what does that give us? Can't say yet. He's still learning and refining his game. But the cliche says that defensemen don't mature until later.

onemorecup* 02-26-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

both are soft , bottom line is you cant have both on your top 6

rockjngo 02-26-2012 05:08 PM

Weber just proved that...weak defensive play, panthers scores.

AntonCH 02-26-2012 05:08 PM

They're like twins
I can put up with 1 of the 2 on my team (with a preference for diaz)
I can't stomach having both
1 of the 2 HAS to GO!!

Lshap 02-26-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjngo (Post 44992339)

Hmmm... Weber didn't really give up the zone. He played him to the outside, which is correct. Budaj wasn't well-positioned.

rockjngo 02-26-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lshap (Post 44992589)
Hmmm... Weber didn't really give up the zone. He played him to the outside, which is correct. Budaj wasn't well-positioned.

the guy blew by him. if you're a defenseman you should cut the space, be in the shooting lane. the guy had a least 2 meters on Weber.

Diaz didn't even put his stick to block that shot. They are both -1 this game. :handclap:

LeMAD 02-26-2012 05:15 PM

Imo Diaz is not bad defensively, probably better than Emelin actually. Weber is another story.

SouthernHab 02-26-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjngo (Post 44992339)

And now Diaz was just like me on the go ahead goal. He was doing nothing but watching the game.;)

Kriss E 02-26-2012 05:16 PM

Weber has had a terrible year, Diaz has been good.
I do feel like Weber has settled a bit more since he's regularly used as a Dman now. When he was being flipflopped he was horrible.

We can't have Weber, Diaz, Campoli and Kaberle though.

rockjngo 02-26-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 44993249)
We can't have Weber, Diaz, Campoli and Kaberle though.

All 4 are terrible defensively.

Lshap 02-26-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjngo (Post 44992921)
the guy blew by him. if you're a defenseman you should cut the space, be in the shooting lane. the guy had a least 2 meters on Weber.

Diaz didn't even put his stick to block that shot. They are both -1 this game. :handclap:

Disagree. The shooting lane was pretty narrow. He never got anywhere near Budaj and fired a great shot from a difficult angle. True, Weber should've taken him out completely, but it was the kind of shot a good goalie stops.

Anyway, our entire D is in a coma, it seems...

rockjngo 02-26-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntonCH (Post 44992359)
They're like twins
I can put up with 1 of the 2 on my team (with a preference for diaz)
I can't stomach having both
1 of the 2 HAS to GO!!

Both needs to go. Only way we can climb up from dead last.

swissexpert 02-26-2012 05:28 PM

Just curious why some of you think Diaz is terrible defensively?!
He has the 2nd most shots blocked only behind Gorges. His giveaway/takeaway ratio isn't any worse than Emelin's or Subban's.

gusfring 02-26-2012 05:31 PM

If either of these guys are in our top 6 next year, we're in trouble.

Stjonnypopo 02-26-2012 05:34 PM

I love Diaz. I'm also impressed that we managed to sign him because normally we have a hard time attracting European ufa's and he was one of the best players in the swiss league, so we really lucked out with him.

Talks to Goalposts 02-26-2012 05:49 PM

The only issue with Diaz is he shouldn't be playing on a team's 2nd pairing like he's been forced into this year. As a puckmoving 3rd pairing defender he's pretty good.

Et le But 02-26-2012 05:51 PM

Diaz has been good on both ends. He's earned a place on this team, yes we need to get more physical in the back but that's what the roster spaces for Gill and Campoli are for.

Weber could end up the better player but right now he's an idiot defensively. With the amount of defenders in the system it might be a good idea to trade him. But don't be surprised when he's a lot better in a few years.