HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   This team's offense is above average... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1119901)

Kel Varnsen 02-27-2012 09:15 AM

This team's offense is above average...
 
I thought we needed a thread about this so we can all stop talking about addressing the needs of last year's Rangers and instead talk rationally about this year's Rangers.

This year's Rangers score 2.73 goals per game. That is good for 12th BEST in the league.


The lowest scoring team is the Kings, they score 2.08 goals per game. We score .65 more goals per game then them. The top scoring team is Philly, they score 3.30 goals per game. We score .57 less goals per game.

Any way you slice it, we're closer to the best than the worst in goal scoring.

Discuss (express your confusion :naughty:).

JayQueensNY88* 02-27-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen (Post 45034065)
I thought we needed a thread about this so we can all stop talking about addressing the needs of last year's Rangers and instead talk rationally about this year's Rangers.

This year's Rangers score 2.73 goals per game. That is good for 12th BEST in the league.


The lowest scoring team is the Kings, they score 2.08 goals per game. We score .65 more goals per game then them. The top scoring team is Philly, they score 3.30 goals per game. We score .57 less goals per game.

Any way you slice it, we're closer to the best than the worst in goal scoring.

Discuss (express your confusion :naughty:).

good stats man...just too think if Dubinsky and Boyle were scoring.

KreiMeARiver* 02-27-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay8899 (Post 45034365)
good stats man...just too think if Dubinsky and Boyle were scoring.

I'll give you Dubinsky, but Boyle...not so much. He had 1 fluke year out of a bunch of zero-output seasons.

Even Dubinsky; he's never been a guy you can count on, offensively...ever.

McDonaghisGod 02-27-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen (Post 45034065)
I thought we needed a thread about this so we can all stop talking about addressing the needs of last year's Rangers and instead talk rationally about this year's Rangers.

This year's Rangers score 2.73 goals per game. That is good for 12th BEST in the league.


The lowest scoring team is the Kings, they score 2.08 goals per game. We score .65 more goals per game then them. The top scoring team is Philly, they score 3.30 goals per game. We score .57 less goals per game.

Any way you slice it, we're closer to the best than the worst in goal scoring.

Discuss (express your confusion :naughty:).

The majority of teams that we're better than aren't going to be in the playoffs.

MSG the place to be* 02-27-2012 09:26 AM

our forecheck is lacking. we were taking it to the opposition much more last year than this year.

Kel Varnsen 02-27-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightide85 (Post 45034695)
I'll give you Dubinsky, but Boyle...not so much. He had 1 fluke year out of a bunch of zero-output seasons.

Even Dubinsky; he's never been a guy you can count on, offensively...ever.

Tough talk cowboy, care to back it up with facts?

pld459666 02-27-2012 09:30 AM

Our offense is STILL this teams achillies heel.

Regardless of where we stand on an overall goals scored basis, the fact is this team can be shut down and or shut out alot easier than any other top 4 team in either conference.

The argument that we are in 12th overall in scoring means we shouldn't address it is poor.

Kel Varnsen 02-27-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeetchisGod (Post 45034743)
The majority of teams that we're better than aren't going to be in the playoffs.

16 teams make the playoffs 8 to 10 of them are ahead (depending on some bottom seeds and so 6 to 8 of them are below.

Looking at the defensive side of the game, we are better than every other team except the blues in goals against per game.

Jackpot 02-27-2012 09:37 AM

Numbers don't lie, but I think any rational hockey fan knows if you play the Rangers you're going to be in the game because the Rangers don't have the firepower to put a team away. I mean a record of 5-10-5 if we give up three goals isn't to flattering eh?

McDonaghisGod 02-27-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen (Post 45035033)
16 teams make the playoffs 8 to 10 of them are ahead (depending on some bottom seeds and so 6 to 8 of them are below.

Looking at the defensive side of the game, we are better than every other team except the blues in goals against per game.

This team has been completely shut down by the Devils, Sens and Pens twice just in the last few weeks.

EvilCorporateLawyer 02-27-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeetchisGod (Post 45034743)
The majority of teams that we're better than aren't going to be in the playoffs.

Silly facts always getting in the way

Kel Varnsen 02-27-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeetchisGod (Post 45035431)
This team has been completely shut down by the Devils, Sens and Pens twice just in the last few weeks.

My "kool aid" is facts. So you're just being intentionally irrational.

Blatant 02-27-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 45034977)
Our offense is STILL this teams achillies heel.

Regardless of where we stand on an overall goals scored basis, the fact is this team can be shut down and or shut out alot easier than any other top 4 team in either conference.

The argument that we are in 12th overall in scoring means we shouldn't address it is poor.

What about the argument that we are in first lace in the east, by 7 points. We play a grind it out style and win with defense/goal tending and decent scoring. That formula has worked so far this year, and seems to fair well in the playoffs.

I think the argument about being 12th in the league for scoring is a lot better than your argument, that we can be shut down easier than the top 4 teams in either conference. I don't think that is true at all. We could also shut down a team as easily as anyone else in the league.n

People on here have to stop thinking we are going to be scoring 3+ goals a game in this system on a consistent basis.

ChrisKreider20 02-27-2012 09:41 AM

The problems the powerplay.
Sure we could use a bit more offense to put us over the top, but the biggest need is a powerplay specialist.

McDonaghisGod 02-27-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen (Post 45035535)
My "kool aid" is facts. So you're just being intentionally irrational.

You are conveniently ignoring my facts. Why have we been completely shut down by three potential playoff opponents recently?

EvilCorporateLawyer 02-27-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaBorat (Post 45035607)
The problems the powerplay.
Sure we could use a bit more offense to put us over the top, but the biggest need is a powerplay specialist.

No...

The biggest need is a powerplay coach.

EvilCorporateLawyer 02-27-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeetchisGod (Post 45035673)
You are conveniently ignoring my facts. Why have we been completely shut down by three potential playoff opponents recently?

Clearly because of aliens.

NikC 02-27-2012 09:44 AM

i think the op started this thread to ease his own fears.
if one of Gaborik, Callahan, or Richards is out for any length of time
we'll be playing 1 goal games like every season for the past 3 or 4 years.

The offensive dropoff from the above mentioned players is scary.
We do not have scoring throughout the lineup like Boston did last year. We'll be relying on Lundqvist to bail us out, more times than not again...

NYR Sting 02-27-2012 09:45 AM

What's the purpose of this thread? To illuminate that the team probably isn't good enough win a chamionship?

Every single cup winner since the lockout has had a top 10 offense. All but one have had top 5 offenses.

The Rangers are a SLIGHTLY above average offensive team. They'd be more comfortable if Brandon Dubinsky wasn't a confused, inconsistent, overpaid player.

The Rangers unquestionably need more offense. That doesn't mean it needs to come in the form of an overpaid Rick Nash, but it's going to have to come from somewhere.

Kel Varnsen 02-27-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaBorat (Post 45035607)
The problems the powerplay.
Sure we could use a bit more offense to put us over the top, but the biggest need is a powerplay specialist.

That's a fair point, supported by actual facts. I'm skeptical we can just bring a guy in to do that though. We've tried to do just that last year with McCabe, and this year we brought in Richards and neither one really helped any even thought the PP was supposed to be their big thing.

I'm not sure why the PP isn't working better, I think we need to leave this group to fix it themselves though.

pld459666 02-27-2012 09:47 AM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blatant (Post 45035563)
What about the argument that we are in first lace in the east, by 7 points. We play a grind it out style and win with defense/goal tending and decent scoring. That formula has worked so far this year, and seems to fair well in the playoffs.

I think the argument about being 12th in the league for scoring is a lot better than your argument, that we can be shut down easier than the top 4 teams in either conference. I don't think that is true at all. We could also shut down a team as easily as anyone else in the league.n

People on here have to stop thinking we are going to be scoring 3+ goals a game in this system on a consistent basis.

Again, you point to goals scored and position in the standings and ignore what has been an obvious flaw to thsi team and think the best way to address it is to stand pat?

This team (with some additional talent on our top 6) CAN score 3 goals a game. Get a winger that can play the LW on the PP that has goal scoring ability and getting to 3 goals a game is alot easier.

If our PP was average, AVERAGE, we would be top 5 in scoring and I'd feel much better headed into the post season.

If there's a weakness and we fail to address it, then we deserve our fate.

Jackpot 02-27-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Sting (Post 45035921)
What's the purpose of this thread? To illuminate that the team probably isn't good enough win a chamionship?

Every single cup winner since the lockout has had a top 10 offense. All but one have had top 5 offenses.

The Rangers are a SLIGHTLY above average offensive team. They'd be more comfortable if Brandon Dubinsky wasn't a confused, inconsistent, overpaid player.

The Rangers unquestionably need more offense. That doesn't mean it needs to come in the form of an overpaid Rick Nash, but it's going to have to come from somewhere.


This +1000

Kel Varnsen 02-27-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeetchisGod (Post 45035673)
You are conveniently ignoring my facts. Why have we been completely shut down by three potential playoff opponents recently?

**** happens. Tis the ebbs and flows of an 82 game season. It makes less sense to start cherrypicking when there is still this much time left.

Kel Varnsen 02-27-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Sting (Post 45035921)
What's the purpose of this thread? To illuminate that the team probably isn't good enough win a chamionship?

Every single cup winner since the lockout has had a top 10 offense. All but one have had top 5 offenses.

The Rangers are a SLIGHTLY above average offensive team. They'd be more comfortable if Brandon Dubinsky wasn't a confused, inconsistent, overpaid player.

The Rangers unquestionably need more offense. That doesn't mean it needs to come in the form of an overpaid Rick Nash, but it's going to have to come from somewhere.

Small sample size :shakehead

NikC 02-27-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 45036047)

If there's a weakness and we fail to address it, then we deserve our fate.

exactly. you can't have it all. I can understand not overpaying for
a franchise star, but you also, forgoe an opportunity where your star goalie is playing the best hockey of his career.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.