HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   TSN: Boston interested in Oduya/Jones (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1119995)

TrueCanuckle 02-27-2012 10:17 AM

Boston interested in Oduya/Jones
 
Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger
Wpg considering the interest expressed in Oduya. Boston among the teams in the hunt. Bruins also in on Avs David Jones. #tradecentre

AvsGuy 02-27-2012 10:25 AM

I can see Jonesy heading to the Bruins, and I don't think we'll get all that much in immediate help for him. Probably for Jordan Caron and a 2nd round pick.

Stories 02-27-2012 10:25 AM

Colorado would be fine with that. What do you offer, Boston fans? Solid winger prospects would be ideal.

Foppa 02-27-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy (Post 45046219)
I can see Jonesy heading to the Bruins, and I don't think we'll get all that much in immediate help for him. Probably for Jordan Caron and a 2nd round pick.

AK, another streaky goal scorer went for basically a 2nd rounder. I'd be beyond thrilled to land Caron AND a 2nd rounder from Boston and that is likely setting the bar way too high.

Rumors are that Sherman is holding out for "hockey deals" though, so a pick is probably not what the Avs are looking for. I'm sure Caron would be of interest though.

EDIT: Does sound like Jones, among other Avs players is drawing a lot of interest, perhaps we will get more than expected.

WreckItRask 02-27-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy (Post 45046219)
I can see Jonesy heading to the Bruins, and I don't think we'll get all that much in immediate help for him. Probably for Jordan Caron and a 2nd round pick.

What? He's a pending UFA with less than 30 points. How in the world is he worth Jordan Caron and a 2nd (which Boston doesn't have anyway)?

BruinsNeedaRussian 02-27-2012 10:31 AM

I know next to nada about Jones. Can someone give me a small scouting report?

nycbruins* 02-27-2012 10:32 AM

Because moving Jordan Caron before everybody learns he can't skate is a good idea.

Lonewolfe2015 02-27-2012 10:32 AM

I'd want Knight and a Conditional pick based on him being re-signed, otherwise we're better off keeping him and re-signing him cheap in the offseason.

WarriorOfGandhi 02-27-2012 10:32 AM

Jones + Shane O'Brien for Boston's 1st and conditional 3rd (Jones resigns)

Goulet17 02-27-2012 10:33 AM

I am not sure that Boston can make a deal for Jones. Sherman has made it clear that he is not really looking for picks, but rather NHL prospects.

Boston fans do not seem to think that their GM will not give up any NHL caliber prospects.

Colorado probably has more value keeping Jones rather than trading him to Boston.

Freudian 02-27-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine (Post 45046683)
What? He's a pending UFA with less than 30 points. How in the world is he worth Jordan Caron and a 2nd (which Boston doesn't have anyway)?

27 goals last season
12 points in 10 games in February

RockLobster 02-27-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy (Post 45046219)
I can see Jonesy heading to the Bruins, and I don't think we'll get all that much in immediate help for him. Probably for Jordan Caron and a 2nd round pick.

We already have Boston's 2nd round pick this year, that's the one that's potentially in the Varlamov trade, we acquired it from Toronto for JM Liles

nycbruins* 02-27-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 45047041)
I'd want Knight and a Conditional pick based on him being re-signed, otherwise we're better off keeping him and re-signing him cheap in the offseason.

Not getting Knight. Chia refused to package him for Kaberle, back when Kaberle was still considered good. He's not losing him for Jones.

Goulet17 02-27-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbruins (Post 45047181)
Not getting Knight. Chia refused to package him for Kaberle, back when Kaberle was still considered good. He's not losing him for Jones.

Without Knight or Caron and with no 2nd round pick, I just don't see the possibility of a deal.

Boston is going to have to look elsewhere.

Lonewolfe2015 02-27-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian (Post 45046917)
I know next to nada about Jones. Can someone give me a small scouting report?

Biggish winger, former power forward but got injured and lost a gear in game breaking speed to just a little better than average skating.

Sets up shop in the crease and is pretty good at garbage goals. Has a better shot than you would expect and is best on the rush.

Works his way to the net from the half boards and down low off of the cycle pretty well.

Uses his size occasionally, decent defensively (used as secondary PK'er, scored shortie other night).

Overall he's not amazing, best when he's not relied on as THE scorer, because he'll provide secondary scoring and has really hot and cold streaks.

nycbruins* 02-27-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goulet17 (Post 45047379)
Without Knight or Caron and with no 2nd round pick, I just don't see the possibility of a deal.

Boston is going to have to look elsewhere.

Not up-to-date on Bruins management's feelings on Caron. As for my feelings on Caron, you can have him for Jones.

BruinsBtn 02-27-2012 10:42 AM

Maybe they meant Randy Jones. I'd give up a 7th to have him in the press box.

BruinsNeedaRussian 02-27-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 45047521)
Biggish winger, former power forward but got injured and lost a gear in game breaking speed to just a little better than average skating.

Sets up shop in the crease and is pretty good at garbage goals. Has a better shot than you would expect and is best on the rush.

Works his way to the net from the half boards and down low off of the cycle pretty well.

Uses his size occasionally, decent defensively (used as secondary PK'er, scored shortie other night).

Overall he's not amazing, best when he's not relied on as THE scorer, because he'll provide secondary scoring and has really hot and cold streaks.

Thanks, sounds like someone Chia would be interested in. Never really paid any attention to him to be honest, does he still have decent speed?

Given that he is a rental, not sure what I would give up for him. I think Caron and a pick (3-5 range) or just Spooner would be fair. I am also a ridiculous homer, so who knows. I can see most other prospects being in play other than Knight, Khoko, and Hamilton. Spooner may be questionable, but I think he is riskier than Knight and could be in play.

Foppa 02-27-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbruins (Post 45047667)
Not up-to-date on Bruins management's feelings on Caron. As for my feelings on Caron, you can have him for Jones.

Seems like I was over-estimating Caron initially.

Lonewolfe2015 02-27-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian (Post 45048185)
Thanks, sounds like someone Chia would be interested in. Never really paid any attention to him to be honest, does he still have decent speed?

Given that he is a rental, not sure what I would give up for him. I think Caron and a pick (3-5 range) or just Spooner would be fair. I am also a ridiculous homer, so who knows. I can see most other prospects being in play other than Knight, Khoko, and Hamilton. Spooner may be questionable, but I think he is riskier than Knight and could be in play.

As I said, he lost a step. Used to split defenders a couple seasons ago when he showed 30+ goal potential. I think a summer spent with a skating coach he might be able to recover some of that speed personally. Now he's just above-average, considering I haven't seen him beat a defender more than once or twice this year by himself.

Also, I really, really doubt we move him for a rental's price. We need him more than what we'd get for a rental acquisition. Thus as I said, Knight + Conditionals is the best value I see Boston getting without moving roster pieces.

Picks/Prospects would mean there are extenuating circumstances with him... as far as most Avs fans know he has no problems with the team and there are no locker room issues with him.

E: Also, now that I think about it... the rampant 'picks' being thrown by defenders could be another cause of Jones' struggles. He was the type of guy who would chip and cut through the defense to get a breakaway once a game.

nycbruins* 02-27-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foppa (Post 45048767)
Seems like I was over-estimating Caron initially.

I could very well be underestimating Caron. Been wrong many times before. I guess I'm not good at projecting success for a player who doesn't skate very well at all. I know there are plenty of valuable NHL players that aren't great skaters, I just personally have a hard time envisioning success for them and guessing who can still make it and who can't.

He's big. He's already a smart player. His shot is underrated and underused. He's starting to asset himself physically more often.

But his skating still looks brutal to me.

Frankie Spankie 02-27-2012 10:53 AM

Honestly, when was the last time a conditional pick was traded for a rental on the condition that he resigns? I don't get why so many people seem to throw that conditional pick into trades here.

Lonewolfe2015 02-27-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie (Post 45049407)
Honestly, when was the last time a conditional pick was traded for a rental on the condition that he resigns? I don't get why so many people seem to throw that conditional pick into trades here.

You should know... you guys did that last season. 2nd rounder had two conditions, the 2nd being re-signing Kaberle.

nycbruins* 02-27-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie (Post 45049407)
Honestly, when was the last time a conditional pick was traded for a rental on the condition that he resigns? I don't get why so many people seem to throw that conditional pick into trades here.

Happens a lot. Usually as part of a package, never the only part of the package.

Bruins examples:

Got a 4th round pick for Derek Morris 2 years ago, became a 3rd rounder when Phoenix re-signed him.

Traded Brad Stuart & Wayne Primeau to the Flames in 2007. Flames also got a 4th round pick because Stuart didn't re-sign in Calgary.

Kaberle trade last year, 2nd round pick was conditional on either the Bruins making the SCF OR the Bruins re-signing Kaberle. They didn't re-sign him, but lost the pick anyway because they won the cup.

williebeaman 02-27-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie (Post 45049407)
Honestly, when was the last time a conditional pick was traded for a rental on the condition that he resigns? I don't get why so many people seem to throw that conditional pick into trades here.

wasnt kaberle traded and it was a conditional if he signed or won the cup?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.