HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Do you still want Capuano back? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1121075)

Isles Junkie 02-27-2012 09:14 PM

Do you still want Capuano back?

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7128/capuano.jpg

Old poll http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=901035&page=1

Not sure why I just didn't make a new poll yesterday.

I say even if the other choice is Weight, they should fire Capuano. He just does not seem as though he's prepared or qualified for this job. Doug doesn't have the experience yet, but I actually think he will make a good head coach one day.

Above all I hope they go and get an NHL veteran coach. My choice is Mike Kennan. He'd whip these boys into shape & hold them accountable for lazy play.

PWJunior 02-27-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle Junkie (Post 45131713)
Above all I hope they go and get an NHL veteran coach. My choice is Mike Kennan. He'd whip these boys into shape & hold them accountable for lazy play.

Ever since I saw the interview with him at Gretzky's Fantasy Camp on NHL Network, Keenan is definitely someone that intrigues the hell out of me. He said that he still has the desire to coach again, but he even admitted that he's kinda off the grid. If that doesn't scream Wang/Snow, then I don't know who does?

I'm not sure Snow could handle him though, but he'd light a fire under a lot of butts. He'd probably come cheap too since he would be Nolan 2.0 in terms of the situation.

88th Precinct 02-27-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 45134625)
Ever since I saw the interview with him at Gretzky's Fantasy Camp on NHL Network, Keenan is definitely someone that intrigues the hell out of me. He said that he still has the desire to coach again, but he even admitted that he's kinda off the grid. If that doesn't scream Wang/Snow, then I don't know who does?

I'm not sure Snow could handle him though, but he'd light a fire under a lot of butts. He'd probably come cheap too since he would be Nolan 2.0 in terms of the situation.

I'd rather see Carlyle brought in for 2 seasons first.

As for whether Cappy should be kept for next season, I'm reserving judgment until after July 1. In the unlikely event that this is a stronger roster entering next year, I'd give Capuano 20 games to show what he can do with it.

Islanders1932 02-27-2012 10:18 PM

I'm going to go against popular vote and say yes. I think he needs a chance to prove himself and I believe that he keeps the locker room close which will be so important. However, next year will be his make or break year. Snow has to go out and sign some talent for this team and Jack has to prove he can manage it. We can't keep firing coaches each year and starting new systems. No coach is going to win under a crappy team. The fact is that we are making progress under Capuano, whether or not it is because of Capuano or other guys getting better is up for debate. However, I give him one more year. A real shot to turn things around hopefully with a better team.

KingLio21093 02-27-2012 10:24 PM

Absolutely not. And I'd be damned if Weight is the next coach. I'd rather have Brent Thompson as the next coach.

Homeland Security 02-27-2012 10:36 PM

Yes, only if the other option is Weight.

Did he get a 3 years deal? Meaning he has 2 left after this season ends.

KH1 02-27-2012 10:49 PM

No, Capuano has to go.

Even if the only other option is Weight, at least there's a possibility that he turns out to be a natural behind the bench. We know that Cappy sucks. Keeping him will just delay the inevitable, and waste crucial developmental years for our young players.

Isles Junkie 02-27-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct (Post 45141265)

2 years

åboriginal 02-27-2012 11:10 PM

no. time to get serious and have a legitimate, veteran coach back there. no idea who that would be though.

A Pointed Stick 02-27-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLio21093 (Post 45140059)
Absolutely not. And I'd be damned if Weight is the next coach. I'd rather have Brent Thompson as the next coach.

Hater of Weight. That makes you a weighter! Hey, my soup is cold. :D

KingLio21093 02-28-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 45144349)
Hater of Weight. That makes you a weighter! Hey, my soup is cold. :D

JKP 02-28-2012 12:10 AM

I started a whole thread that Cappy has to go, so my vote is firmly in the see ya later category. I want proven fire-lighter-under-your-ass type with the resume to back it up.

19NYSports91 02-28-2012 12:29 AM

Randy Carlyle!!!!!

redbull 02-28-2012 12:49 AM

I don't know who should coach this team. The team lacks talent, they are extremely poorly constructed, they lack elements of players that would allow them to compete.
A coach with a structured, defensive system could help - but roster changes would need to happen as well.

For example, you can't have players like Parenteau, Grabner, Nino, on a HItchcock/Tortorella type system. Yet, players like Rupp, Prust can thrive.

You can't win in the NHL with soft players who don't score enough, take bad penalties, turn the puck over, cannot sustain a forecheck or win puck battles.

Certainly Parenteau's been solid this year, he's put up some great numbers, but I'd prefer a Dustin Brown type. Moulson can score when Tavares sets him up, but he can't win a puck battle, doesn't skate (forechecking, puck pursuit) so his linemates must compensate.

Tough to criticize the top line since they are one of the best lines in the NHL but my point is that a coach's impact is not only a factor of overall TALENT, but also the make-up of the team.

Next year, we may need to play guys like deHaan, Donovan, Ness, Nino, Strome, Ullstrom, Rakhshani or Cizikas....and NONE of these guys will be able to make the team better than they have been this year. All have POTENTIAL and in 2-3 years, they may be impact-type NHL players but to EXPECT that next year is simply foolish.

We're a long way from Sept 2012 and this thread is about a coaching change (potentially) but not even Jesus could coach this group to a playoff berth.
I'd like a better coach, a coach who emphasizes defense, who gets better results - but I'd like to see the personnel addressed at the same time.

Otherwise, you're just setting the next guy up for disappointment and failure, Weight or no Weight.

Lek 02-28-2012 05:15 AM

I can't believe I voted Yes.....but it is more voting yes because there is no viable option presented. Just voting no at this point without knowing who would replace him is not really an answer as we could get worse...and Doug is not the answer either. More of a yes vote for the devil you know.

wingnutks 02-28-2012 06:56 AM

IMO, the islanders lost just as many games due to lack of preperation/bad coaching/lack of passion as they did due to lack of skill/talent. Thats why Cap has to go. This team is not a horrible team. When they are hot, they are pretty damn good... when they are cold they suck. They are usually hot and cold AS A TEAM. The other team scoring a goal on bad turnover is mostly a players fault. A team losing because the whole team went "cold" is mostly the coaches fault.

Hip Of Rick 02-28-2012 08:19 AM

Do not want him back at all, but he must be replaced by an experienced NHL coach. Nothing wrong with giving a great AHL coach a shot but we need someone with NHL experience behind the bench. We don't have time to mess around with another AHL guy. With saying that unless the roster drastically changes and improves next season we will be doomed no matter who is behind the bench.

StuDog 02-28-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick (Post 45155553)
Do not want him back at all, but he must be replaced by an experienced NHL coach. Nothing wrong with giving a great AHL coach a shot but we need someone with NHL experience behind the bench. We don't have time to mess around with another AHL guy. With saying that unless the roster drastically changes and improves next season we will be doomed no matter who is behind the bench.

I like the guy, and with the crap he has I think he's done an okay job, but they need a guy that commands respect and that has a proven track record. Looking at what Hitchcock has done is quite impressive. Carlyle would be a good guy. Has won a cup, defense first, has developed young players into top end talent (getlaf, perry, ryan, and the goalie i'm blanking on). It's so smart it will never happen.

SLAPSHOT723 02-28-2012 09:04 AM

No experienced NHL coach is going to come here to solve this mess. I would love Carlyle, but why would he want to coach this team?

Hip Of Rick 02-28-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 (Post 45157197)
No experienced NHL coach is going to come here to solve this mess. I would love Carlyle, but why would he want to coach this team?

Has been said in other threads but only 30 of these jobs in the world. No matter how bad a team looks being an NHL coach is an exclusive job. These ex coaches are also for the most part not multi millionaires and need to make money. They also know that if they do a good job it could spring board them to bigger and better things after they get fired (all coaches get fired except Ruff), like Lavi. So I will never buy the argument an experienced coach won't come here. Would we pay a experienced coach is a different question.

Wedregast 02-28-2012 09:26 AM

What is another coach going to do that Cappy doesn't? Transform our sub-par defense into a top defense? Magically make our second and third lines score goals? Whats the point if the real problem is the players?
We need a bunch of good quality vets, at the least one for our top 6 forwards, and one for our top four defensemen. Changing the coach does nothing but unsettle the younger players.

Just for laughs, go take a look at one of the threads where some of you wanted to kick out our last legitimate NHL coach , http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=498655. See the parallels between the two threads. :sarcasm:

MTK 02-28-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct (Post 45141265)

The only other option is Weight. Wang/Snow will not bring in a real coach...they do not want someone to speak there mind. They need puppets

Riddick 02-28-2012 09:48 AM

My theory of cap goes one of two ways:

1)at the end of last season they saw the team playing very hard and thought he could make significant improvement over last year. make noise for the playoffs finally.

2) interim head coach who motivated his players.

Regardless of why he was given the job he failed at both of those miserably. The players have regressed big time, there is no consistency and they won't make the playoffs..again. If he was hired as a motivator he has failed at that, if he was hired as a coach that could get the team to the playoffs he failed at that too.

He has to go.

blitzkriegs 02-28-2012 09:54 AM

The team needs leadership at the coaching level. They don't have enough strong veterans to be successful. Therefore, you need a coach/leader that can make that happen (or attempt to).

Cappy has already proven he's in over his head.

luki here 02-28-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle Junkie (Post 45131713)
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7128/capuano.jpg

Old poll http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=901035&page=1

Not sure why I just didn't make a new poll yesterday.

I say even if the other choice is Weight, they should fire Capuano. He just does not seem as though he's prepared or qualified for this job. Doug doesn't have the experience yet, but I actually think he will make a good head coach one day.

i generally changed my opinion to not wanting cappy back. Last year i was still with cappy...

But the one game when i saw weight coaching i immediately wished for cappy to get healthy quickly. Lines were a mess, even the simplest things were going wrong on the bench.

Please hire someone who can work with kids, teach them new aspects of the game. We have so many flawed players, we really need that (and i guess it would be a great challenge to the right coach). But for god's sake fire weight regardless!