HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rumor: Giroux To Be Named Flyers' Captain? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1121703)

Benchguy 02-28-2012 02:41 PM

Giroux To Be Named Flyers' Captain?

As soon as this week.

Comments ?

LetsGoFlyers1825 02-28-2012 02:42 PM

http://frankcbishop.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/tlj.jpg

FreshPerspective 02-28-2012 02:44 PM

Yeah who are they going to trade him for or what misfortune will afflict him since the "C" stands for "cursed" on this team...

I prefer they defer....

DUHockey9 02-28-2012 02:46 PM

Is there a source for this?

OzFlyer 02-28-2012 02:47 PM

Link?

Krishna 02-28-2012 02:47 PM

source?

If not in b4 lock

Tim Tebow 02-28-2012 02:47 PM

Why would Giroux be captain?

Go For It 02-28-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benchguy (Post 45175057)
As soon as this week.

Comments ?

:skeptic:

Beef Invictus 02-28-2012 02:53 PM

I'm closing this if there isn't a source very shortly.

RoDu 02-28-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 (Post 45175147)

I prefer this one

http://myfacewhen.com/images/202.gif

Beef Invictus 02-28-2012 03:01 PM

I've spoken with Benchguy. His source was a local radio station; he translated it for me, and it goes like this:

"''CKOI 104,7 Outaouais (SPORTS RADIO close to the Ottawa region, more precisely, Gatineau, where Giroux played his junior hockey for the Olympiques)

According to our sources, former Olympiques' Claude Giroux will soon be named captain of the Philadelphia Flyers ''"

RJ8812 02-28-2012 05:53 PM

i really hope not

Kaktus* 02-28-2012 05:59 PM

Roll with 3 A's.

bryzgalovsky* 02-28-2012 05:59 PM

Does this have any implications on the Pronger situation?

DrinkFightFlyers 02-28-2012 06:00 PM

Not a good choice IMO. Timonen, Briere, or Talbot should be captain if it is not Pronger anymore. Maybe even Hartnell. I can't imagine that in that locker room Giroux is the best leader. No offense to Giroux, but I have to imagine that players look first to Timonen, then elsewhere for "leadership" issues.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 02-28-2012 06:05 PM

I'd love Giroux to be captain in a year or so. Rather have Kimmo wear the C until he retires.

bryzgalovsky* 02-28-2012 06:06 PM

I personally like the idea of awarding the C to a strong defenseman.

But seeing as the only 2 of those we've got have been on the team for a matter of days and aren't on the first pairing, that's out of the question.

I think Timonen is too soft-spoken to take the role. He plays a solid game, but isn't going to intimidate anyone.

chimrichalds18 02-28-2012 06:14 PM

Kimmo should have it, but if this is true, I doubt he and Briere have been left out of the loop. If Giroux's the captain, management has certainly discussed it with the leaders of the team.

I'm waiting to see some more proof, though.

Prongo 02-28-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 (Post 45187721)
Kimmo should have it, but if this is true, I doubt he and Briere have been left out of the loop. If Giroux's the captain, management has certainly discussed it with the leaders of the team.

I'm waiting to see some more proof, though.

I agree with all this. I have no problem with them naming Giroux the captain though (after this year of course in respect to Prongs, I also feel he will be around if we make the playoffs). I don't believe in all the hogwash about our captains never survive and stuff. ( I know its somewhat a joke but still). Giroux is one of the leaders of that locker room no doubt. Two times stick out to me. The first when he was arguing with Pronger. Team is gonna have disputes during the year, and it was good to see a player like Giroux stick up for himself after Pronger ripped him for turnovers. The second is when the Flyers lost the winter classic this year, and the Flyers were waiting to shake hands. Giroux realized they weren't going to and said "**** em let's go" or something close to that. The team follows him and the kid just looks like a born leader. Oh and he trains like crazy to be the best player he can be, so all the players will respect the hell out of him.

achdumeingute 02-28-2012 06:23 PM

Michael Scott screaming no.

Not the right time/player.

Brozgalov 02-28-2012 06:23 PM

I am both for and against this. I see what it did to Richards, and I would like to say this is a bad idea. However, Giroux is not Richards. He seems to be more vocal (although not the oldest leader on the team) and he visibly works harder and gets tons of points so the media can't make up stories about him being lazy. He also seems to be very focused on playing hockey (not partying, which is fine for a 23 year old millionaire imo). And lastly, he says the right things to the media and he has a good relationship with them and the fans...

I am a fan of having a young player take the captaincy given they will be with the club for their career and therefore 8 years from now, Giroux will be much better of a captain than someone who was recently named one.

I just don't really like the idea of a finesse player being a captain... I like tough guys...

Flyerfan4life 02-28-2012 06:24 PM

i dont think Kimmo is a good idea since i fully suspect he'll retire after this season..

but hes def. C material.. that is for certain..

DUHockey9 02-28-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brozgalov (Post 45188817)
I am both for and against this. I see what it did to Richards, and I would like to say this is a bad idea. However, Giroux is not Richards. He seems to be more vocal (although not the oldest leader on the team) and he visibly works harder and gets tons of points so the media can't make up stories about him being lazy. He also seems to be very focused on playing hockey (not partying, which is fine for a 23 year old millionaire imo). And lastly, he says the right things to the media and he has a good relationship with them and the fans...

I am a fan of having a young player take the captaincy given they will be with the club for their career and therefore 8 years from now, Giroux will be much better of a captain than someone who was recently named one.

I just don't really like the idea of a finesse player being a captain... I like tough guys...

When did Richards ever not work hard? That was his entire thing. Him being a quiet captain was justified by people because he was a "leader by example".

BringBackStevens 02-28-2012 06:30 PM

Doesn't matter. Only matters because people like the ones in this thread make a big deal out of it

Brozgalov 02-28-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUHockey9 (Post 45189463)
When did Richards ever not work hard? That was his entire thing. Him being a quiet captain was justified by people because he was a "leader by example".

read the rest of my post where I explain other reasons... relationship with media... fans...