HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Update on Pock & Betts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=112174)

NYR469 11-05-2004 10:03 AM

Update on Pock & Betts

Quote:

Pock May Play, Betts Out

Defenseman Thomas Pock hopes to make his Pack debut Saturday against Bridgeport after being out since early in training camp because of an abdominal strain. "I feel pretty good, but I don't want to take a chance and be out another month," Pock said on his second full day of practice Thursday. Pock, 22, led UMass to the Hockey East final last season and then played six games with the Rangers.

Pack center Blair Betts will miss at least two games with a shoulder injury sustained Monday in the 1-0 shootout win over Houston. Betts had a MRI Tuesday and visited doctors in New York Thursday.
To A Man, 1 of 2 Changes Suits Coaches

doesn't sound like betts' injury is too serious...

AG9NK35DT8* 11-05-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
To A Man, 1 of 2 Changes Suits Coaches

doesn't sound like betts' injury is too serious...

well i wouldnt consider saying that betts has has 3 shoulder surgeris in like 3 years i hear, so it reoccuring is not good at all.Though i am not much concerned about him as much as i am Pock.

Levitate 11-05-2004 11:11 AM

i don't know he injured his shoulder before, but it sounds like this recent one was rather flukey...checked awkwardly into the boards...then again maybe he's not positioning himself right and it's causing injuries, i dunno, i hope he's alright though

NYR469 11-05-2004 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
well i wouldnt consider saying that betts has has 3 shoulder surgeris in like 3 years i hear, so it reoccuring is not good at all.Though i am not much concerned about him as much as i am Pock.

yes he has had past injuries and that is why it was a concern...but the fact that they are now only saying 2 games is a good sign that it isn't serious. the fear was that he re-injured the shoulder and he'd be out for a long time.

Levitate 11-05-2004 12:20 PM

meant to say i don't know how he injured his shoulder before

AG9NK35DT8* 11-05-2004 08:38 PM

Quote:

yes he has had past injuries and that is why it was a concern...but the fact that they are now only saying 2 games is a good sign that it isn't serious. the fear was that he re-injured the shoulder and he'd be out for a long time.

well it might just be aggravated maybe a little sore, but what i dont understand is why sather went for betts who is injury prone obviousley, instead of maybe going for a guy like Matt Lombardi or some one like Kobasew, it might have cost a little more to get one of them but not possibly that much.

just like sather gets poti from edm but doesnt go after Comrie when he was available, gets rid of Schneider and gets Malakhov, trades for lindros( injury prone), with that whole thing , my point is betts was probably the wrong choice just like those couple others i listed.

Son of Steinbrenner 11-05-2004 08:55 PM

Quote:

well it might just be aggravated maybe a little sore, but what i dont understand is why sather went for betts who is injury prone obviousley, instead of maybe going for a guy like Matt Lombardi or some one like Kobasew, it might have cost a little more to get one of them but not possibly that much.

just like sather gets poti from edm but doesnt go after Comrie when he was available, gets rid of Schneider and gets Malakhov, trades for lindros( injury prone), with that whole thing , my point is betts was probably the wrong choice just like those couple others i listed.

get over it ;)

NYR469 11-05-2004 09:17 PM

Quote:

what makes you think that calgary would give us kobasew for a 4th line rental?? we basically got blair betts and greg moore for free cause simon was going to just walk at the end of the year. you aren't getting top prospects for that.

AG9NK35DT8* 11-06-2004 12:26 AM

Quote:

what makes you think that calgary would give us kobasew for a 4th line rental?? we basically got blair betts and greg moore for free cause simon was going to just walk at the end of the year. you aren't getting top prospects for that.

Well i dont really consider either one of them top prospects, maybe lombardi more than Kobesaw, but if you read what i wrote i said "we might have had to give a little more", but to me me it would have been worth it.And simon was more than a 4th line rental as Calgary has resigned him and he is more able to play the second and third line.If with the right players he is very valuable can put in 15-20 goals a year, provides great protection and with his size opens up the ice for guys.And also I forgot about Greg Moore, he will probably never see a game in a NYR jersey anyway.But i am looking fwd to seeing Helminen get his career started in NY.

Prucha73 11-06-2004 12:38 AM

Quote:

We also took expensive McLennan off their hands and gave them a 7th rounder. Simon is hardly a 4th liner. It was more or less a fair deal, but it is just not smart to trade for damaged goods, especially when Betts is supposed to be a checking center--checking center with a bad shoulder is pretty much useless, especially if he keeps re-injuring it.

Son of Steinbrenner 11-06-2004 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
We also took expensive McLennan off their hands and gave them a 7th rounder. Simon is hardly a 4th liner. It was more or less a fair deal, but it is just not smart to trade for damaged goods, especially when Betts is supposed to be a checking center--checking center with a bad shoulder is pretty much useless, especially if he keeps re-injuring it.

its a risk reward deal if betts is healthy than the deal works out great for the rangers.

Levitate 11-06-2004 09:46 AM

dunno about saying betts is useless as a checking center cuz of his shoulder issues...again, i don't know for sure his injury history but there is a difference between having a chronic shoulder problem an djust getting some bad luck injuries...seems like the last one was a bad luck injury that's not too bad...it's a leap of faith to say this but i'd venture a guess that this recent injury isn't an extension of his previous shoulder problems but just a tweak from an awkward check.

and he's also had a lot of time to get his shoulders fixed and heal so any previous problems should be healed up and gone...i understand the worry but i think it's a tad early to be giving up on the guy

he seems like he could be a really good player for the rangers in his role...hard working player with a little more skill than it might seem

NYR469 11-06-2004 03:18 PM

hartford courant says betts will be out 2-4 weeks...

garth murray should be back soon hopefully to replace him...no return date has been set for murray as far as i know, but i believe he has been out 5 weeks and the initial report was 4-6 weeks, so i figure he's gotta be getting close

Jackson Ranger 11-06-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
its a risk reward deal if betts is healthy than the deal works out great for the rangers.

Risk/reward should be Sather's middle name. That or lion/mouse.

BDubinskyNYR17* 11-06-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
Risk/reward should be Sather's middle name. That or lion/mouse.

nah, now the rangers kill another penalty should be Sather's middle name. One thing I dont get how is Lawson outplaying Helminen. Helminen has more of an NHL future than Laweson does. I think Lawson should be in Charlotte, not Helminen. I was expecting Helminen to play with Ortmeyer in Hartford as one of the PK unit. I hope this happens in the future.

Flames 1st pick 11-06-2004 05:03 PM

Blair Betts has not been healthy since his draft year. He is too injury prone...that's his biggest problem...

Levitate 11-06-2004 06:43 PM

Quote:

Blair Betts has not been healthy since his draft year. He is too injury prone...that's his biggest problem...
thank you for stating the obvious... :)

Prucha73 11-06-2004 06:46 PM

They reported Betts got a separated shoulder and will be out for 3 weeks.

Son of Steinbrenner 11-07-2004 12:56 AM

Quote:

They reported Betts got a separated shoulder and will be out for 3 weeks.

for a guy with a bum shoulder out for three weeks means he dodged a bullet.

AG9NK35DT8* 11-07-2004 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I was expecting Helminen to play with Ortmeyer in Hartford as one of the PK unit. I hope this happens in the future.

Same here, as of now my 2 favorites on the squad are Ortmeyer and Murray and helminen will be once he is in a blueshirt.

AG9NK35DT8* 11-07-2004 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
for a guy with a bum shoulder out for three weeks means he dodged a bullet.

huh????

Basically it is bad aquired player made by Sather. He could hvae gotten some one else but instead he goes for a injury prone player with more tha 1 should surgery.

Once again Good Work Sather. :shakehead :thumbd:

NYR469 11-07-2004 11:23 PM

Quote:

huh????

Basically it is bad aquired player made by Sather. He could hvae gotten some one else but instead he goes for a injury prone player with more tha 1 should surgery.

Once again Good Work Sather. :shakehead :thumbd:

who else could he have gotten?? its so easy to say 'he could have gotten someone else' but who else was calgary (or any other team) going to give us for a 4th line UFA rental??

we got blair betts and greg moore for free...when you don't give up anything of value, you aren't going to get a perfect return.

Prucha73 11-07-2004 11:24 PM

Quote:

who else could he have gotten?? its so easy to say 'he could have gotten someone else' but who else was calgary (or any other team) going to give us for a 4th line UFA rental??

we got blair betts and greg moore for free...when you don't give up anything of value, you aren't going to get a perfect return.

could have kept our 7th rounder and gotten a 3rd rounder instead of Betts.

Son of Steinbrenner 11-07-2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

could have kept our 7th rounder and gotten a 3rd rounder instead of Betts.

how do you know this?

BDubinskyNYR17* 11-07-2004 11:35 PM

I was kind of hoping that we get Brennan Evans in the deal. He is a big dman with toughness and grit and has nice size.