HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Talbot Signing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1121923)

RyK15* 02-28-2012 08:09 PM

Talbot Signing
 
So we were all absolutely shocked when Homer signed that ******* who shushed the crowd after Carcillo TKOed him in the playoffs. Even more shocked at the 1.8M cap hit for the next 5 years. Looking back now, this signing by Holmegren was a pretty damn good one. Talbot has not only been playing gritty and excellent defense, he's been scoring some goals on the 3rd line. 1.8 seems like a reasonable price for all he's contributed this season. I say kudos to Homer on this one. What do you guys think?

bryzgalovsky* 02-28-2012 08:11 PM

I'd say Talbot/Simmonds/Voracek/Read/Couturier/Schenn acquisitions combine to be about 1/2 as good as the Bryzgalov signing has been bad.

If the Flyers hadn't acquired these players they would be virtually unwatchable (as opposed to just a little hard to watch at the moment) for this season and the next 8.

SaveHextall 02-28-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers1975fan (Post 45194549)
I'd say Talbot/Simmonds/Voracek/Read/Couturier/Schenn acquisitions combine to be about 1/2 as good as the Bryzgalov signing has been bad.

If the Flyers hadn't acquired these players they would be virtually unwatchable (as opposed to just a little hard to watch at the moment) for this season and the next 8.

You cannot blame Homer for the Bryzgalov signing. That was Snider's call.

Prongo 02-28-2012 08:16 PM

As of right now, Talbot is under paid for what he has brought to the Flyers this year. I know it's our nature to judge signings when they happen, but he proves we should let the players at least have a shot to defend their salary. Bryz screw you.

I was actually happy we got him in the off-season. We know how much penalties this team takes, so he would be playing good time. The biggest surprise is the offense he has provided. 1.75 for talbot is a great deal IMO

FreshPerspective 02-28-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaveHextall (Post 45195043)
You cannot blame Homer for the Bryzgalov signing. That was Snider's call.

Bryz has only himself to blame...and he deserves the doubts and razzing until he proves otherwise....we are waiting....

Tim Tebow 02-28-2012 08:33 PM

Talbot is a pimp and a hero

Flyerfan808 02-28-2012 08:35 PM

Solid Defensively, Excellent Teammate/Personality, Kills Penalties, Will Scrap, Contributes Offensively.

Yeah, I'd say he is worth every penny.

CS 02-28-2012 09:06 PM

I believe I called him to be the next Laperriere.

Little did I know that he would drop so much offense when given a top 9 role.

Even so, his time with the Penguins was water under the bridge the minute we signed and those of you who complained about it now see why Talbot was so needed here with Lappy's career over.

BrindamoursNose 02-28-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 45202205)
I believe I called him to be the next Laperriere.

Little did I know that he would drop so much offense when given a top 9 role.

Even so, his time with the Penguins was water under the bridge the minute we signed and those of you who complained about it now see why Talbot was so needed here with Lappy's career over.

I was thrilled to get Talbot, I just thought he was overpaid. Well that's clearly not the case anymore...

and his trolling of the Penguins is an AMAZING bonus

AaronTrieu 02-28-2012 09:11 PM

hes been excellent. There aren't too many surprises with him which is awesome because it means he has been consistent.

Beef Invictus 02-28-2012 09:19 PM

When I thought rationally about it I was happy with that signing at the time.

That didn't stop my gut from screaming foul things. :laugh:

RoDu 02-28-2012 09:20 PM

future captain material

zarley zelepukin 02-28-2012 09:32 PM

He's provided great value to the team this year. But if his offense drops off to previous levels next year and beyond I wouldn't be surprised. He's also brought some of that Penguins flopitude with him, and I don't really like to see it no matter the jersey color. But the signing has far surpassed expectations.

Go For It 02-28-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin (Post 45206565)
He's provided great value to the team this year. But if his offense drops off to previous levels next year and beyond I wouldn't be surprised. He's also brought some of that Penguins flopitude with him, and I don't really like to see it no matter the jersey color. But the signing has far surpassed expectations.

We have Briere. We really can't talk about other teams "flopitude" when we have one of the worst floppers in the league.

zarley zelepukin 02-28-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 45207885)
We have Briere. We really can't talk about other teams "flopitude" when we have one of the worst floppers in the league.

My point is that it's a part of his game that I'm not fond of. The same can be said for certain other players on the Flyers. I'd argue that in past years, the Pens outnumbered us in players who flop a lot.

shipwreck 02-28-2012 10:42 PM

Talbot can dance :)

http://i40.tinypic.com/xm0f2x.gif

Joey Mac 02-28-2012 11:26 PM

one of the better free agent signings this year

BernieParent 02-28-2012 11:26 PM

The Talbot signing continues to be a very, very good one. Without Talbot, this team would have only Couturier for defensive forwards, and the PK woudl be ... well, much worse.

Flyrs21 02-28-2012 11:47 PM

Another reason to like the signing.


sobrien 02-29-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 45204353)
When I thought rationally about it I was happy with that signing at the time.

That didn't stop my gut from screaming foul things. :laugh:

You keep your rational thoughts away from here! Not welcome!

StandingCow 02-29-2012 02:52 AM

Loved it as soon as we got him, hated him on the pens, knew he would be a great flyer. Hell, I got a Talbot WC jersey.

PJStock* 02-29-2012 11:16 AM

I could have predicted he would have a lot of points this season, maybe not as many goals, but definitely higher than previously with the Penguins. The guy was pretty gifted offensively in juniors, and put in a situation like Philly where Lavvy is the coach, even Jody Shelley would notch 10 goals if he played the minutes Talbot does. Good signing, but not nearly as 'great' as many people make it out to be.

thelos 02-29-2012 12:00 PM

Great role player. We gave him a lot of years for a lot of money, but thats the norm for UFAs. Talbot is a pure character guy and gives 125% all the time.

2minutes4slashing 02-29-2012 12:47 PM

I personally think it was the best move of the Off Season to get this guy

Bob Clarke Fan Club 02-29-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyrs21 (Post 45222429)
Another reason to like the signing.




Awesome, thanks. I honestly hated this signing but I must say that Talbot is easily one of my favorite players leaguewide right now.
Turning out to be one of the steals of free agency.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.