HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Our young goalies (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1122075)

Tyskie 02-28-2012 08:43 PM

Our young goalies

Lehner with a 32 save shutout (first of his career) against the division leading Bruins and Bishop with a 41 save performance in a 5-1 win in his Binghampton debut.

Can we wave Auld fast enough? What will happen when Andy returns?
How good does the future look?:naughty:

BigEyedPhish 02-28-2012 08:47 PM

CaptainGiggles 02-28-2012 09:02 PM

I doubt anyone claims Auld. Lehner goes down to Binghamton and we roll with Andy and Auld again, next season Auld is done with the NHL and Lehner/Bishop compete for nhl time , Bishop probably starting as the back up but with Lehner getting a few call ups barring injury.

Vicarious 02-28-2012 09:05 PM

Boom head shot. Loving our goalie situation now.

Karlstrobe 02-28-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 (Post 45211029)
I doubt anyone claims Auld. Lehner goes down to Binghamton and we roll with Andy and Auld again, next season Auld is done with the NHL and Lehner/Bishop compete for nhl time , Bishop probably starting as the back up but with Lehner getting a few call ups barring injury.

Hammer meets nail.

Slow Hands 02-28-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicarious (Post 45211335)
Boom head shot. Loving our goalie situation now.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/x...ins/m7b049.gif

It's only one night, but I'll savour it.

Pitlick* 02-28-2012 09:10 PM

We now have 3 goalies better than anyone on the Leafs.

Iamok 02-28-2012 09:11 PM

Anderson
Bishop
Lehner

Feels good man.

MainDotC 02-28-2012 09:16 PM

I think when Andy comes back he's not going to perform well and everyone is going to be screaming for Lehner to come back...and I'm not sure Murray will have a choice especially w/ the playoffs on the line. Remember, we're only a few points out of 8th.

If that's the case, and Lehner can retain consistency, then I think Anderson will be given the chance to go to another team. I mean this is all hypothetical and I'm sure we all thought about this in the past when Emery got so many wins in the spring and Hasek returned - but I'm just sayin' if we're better off w/ Lehner then I don't think there's really a choice.

Hopefully Andy returns to form when he comes back which is what I'm hoping for.

FreakyBunny 02-28-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitlick (Post 45212037)
We now have 3 goalies better than anyone on the Leafs.

Leafs' fans went from mocking our Sens to climbing aboard the tank train within a couple of weeks. I thought our future looked bright in August...and now I am on the edge of my seat.

Bishop and Lehner are pictures of composure. Great positioning and they can read the play so well. Anderson is a serviceable pro for today's NHL. Leafs' fans wish they had our problems right about now.

Beville 02-29-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaindotC (Post 45212695)
I think when Andy comes back he's not going to perform well and everyone is going to be screaming for Lehner to come back...and I'm not sure Murray will have a choice especially w/ the playoffs on the line. Remember, we're only a few points out of 8th.

If that's the case, and Lehner can retain consistency, then I think Anderson will be given the chance to go to another team. I mean this is all hypothetical and I'm sure we all thought about this in the past when Emery got so many wins in the spring and Hasek returned - but I'm just sayin' if we're better off w/ Lehner then I don't think there's really a choice.

Hopefully Andy returns to form when he comes back which is what I'm hoping for.

No, we will NOT let Andy go next season...

there is not a hope in hell of Lehner being starter either...

Gil Gunderson 02-29-2012 02:39 AM

Yeah, I'm a little bit worried about Andy's rust when he comes back too.

Sens Rule 02-29-2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreakyBunny (Post 45212837)
Leafs' fans went from mocking our Sens to climbing aboard the tank train within a couple of weeks. I thought our future looked bright in August...and now I am on the edge of my seat.

Bishop and Lehner are pictures of composure. Great positioning and they can read the play so well. Anderson is a serviceable pro for today's NHL. Leafs' fans wish they had our problems right about now.

Anderson is more than a serviceable pro. Without him there is no way we are in a playoff spot. He is a top 15 goalie in the NHL. His save percentage is .913, right around lots of great goalies and the way the Senators have played this season he is seeing tons of really tough shots, far more then most goalies, if he was behind a better defensive team his save percentage would be better. He is confident and he is a rock back there when it is needed. We won tons of close games because Anderson shut the door when it mattered most.

Lehner or Bishop are not going to surpass Anderson next season unless Anderson is really off his game or injured.

Right now Lehner is #1 until he falters, Bishop gets the next game Lehner does not play. Auld will not be waived, what is the point? We could need him if we get another injury or if Anderson can't return or if either young goalie falters. When Bishop is called up we will just have 3 goalies for a game or two and then they decide if either Lehner or Bishop should go back to Bingo.

If we end up with a problem of 3 quality NHL goalies at one time next year or the year after then that is a problem we deal with when it happens and it is a good problem to have!!!!!

Dr.Sens(e) 02-29-2012 07:02 AM

I think Craig Anderson is probably feeling a bit like Wally Pipp right now, even though we know they'll go to him to some degree when he returns. But the more Lehner plays like this, the more it may tempt MacLean and Murray to lean on Lehner later on after a rough start or two by Anderson. Especially with our backs against the wall in the post-season. Lehner seems to rise to the occasion.

Overall, a great situation. No need to waive Auld. Keep at the pro level as a 3rd goalie when required.

For next year, the question of whether Bishop is waiver exempt is a big one. I think they might be tempted to have both Lehner and Bishop float back and forth next year as the #2 in Ottawa, and the #1 in Bingo. Would be nice to give each 10-12 NHL starts, and 30 AHL starts. Especially if Lehner outperforms Bishop to a degree.

ChocolateLeclaire 02-29-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) (Post 45234857)
I think Craig Anderson is probably feeling a bit like Wally Pipp right now, even though we know they'll go to him to some degree when he returns. But the more Lehner plays like this, the more it may tempt MacLean and Murray to lean on Lehner later on after a rough start or two by Anderson. Especially with our backs against the wall in the post-season. Lehner seems to rise to the occasion.

Overall, a great situation. No need to waive Auld. Keep at the pro level as a 3rd goalie when required.

For next year, the question of whether Bishop is waiver exempt is a big one. I think they might be tempted to have both Lehner and Bishop float back and forth next year as the #2 in Ottawa, and the #1 in Bingo. Would be nice to give each 10-12 NHL starts, and 30 AHL starts. Especially if Lehner outperforms Bishop to a degree.

Highly doubtful. Remember that Maclean believes in earning your ice time. If it wasn't for injury, there would be NO way that Lehner would be playing this year because the Stache was not impressed by his play in Bingo. Remember that Maclean comes from the same coaching staff that eased Jimmy Howard into Detroit's goal, even as calls to get rid of Chris Osgood rang out.

It's great that Lehner is looking so boss right now, but I think Murray and Maclean know that they can't lean on a 20 year old to carry a full season's load in the NHL unless he can show he can do it in the AHL. This team has a plan of action and it's to go with Anderson and Bishop next year. Now could Bishop supplant Anderson as the #1 next year? There's a chance...

NyQuil 02-29-2012 08:43 AM

Anderson is vying for MVP of this team.

There's him, and then there's everyone else.

That said, I agree that it's nice to know that Lehner can spot him a game or two if we need to rest Craig.

tony d 02-29-2012 08:47 AM

I think Anderson and Lehner will be our goalie duo next year. Ben Bishop will be the starter in Binghamton and Auld will be released outright.

MAK19 02-29-2012 09:08 AM

Stick Bishop in the minors and let Lehner be the back up be the backup for the rest of the year. He seems to hate it in Bingo and he's clearly NHL ready.

At training camp, let the three headed monster battle it out. Dare I say... trade Anderson? Lehner-Bishop could be a solid duo as soon as next year.

Beville 02-29-2012 09:09 AM

Personally I don't see the hard on for Lehner to be back up next season...

We've got Bishop...

Bishop seems to me, to be a bit better at that role than Lehner would be... Bish' has done almost everything you can in the A, you're just ruining him by keeping him there... Lehner's too cocky, he should solidify himself in the A next season, and then come up for short spells every now and again...

Just me though

BonkTastic 02-29-2012 09:11 AM

Let Lehner play one more year in the AHL, Bishop backup Andy next year, and then let them ALL fight it out for the starter's gig in 2013-14, then trade whoever loses the 3-way battle.

MAK19 02-29-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensjersey11 (Post 45238269)
Let Lehner play one more year in the AHL, Bishop backup Andy next year, and then let them ALL fight it out for the starter's gig in 2013-14, then trade whoever loses the 3-way battle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beville (Post 45238167)
Personally I don't see the hard on for Lehner to be back up next season...

We've got Bishop...

Bishop seems to me, to be a bit better at that role than Lehner would be... Bish' has done almost everything you can in the A, you're just ruining him by keeping him there... Lehner's too cocky, he should solidify himself in the A next season, and then come up for short spells every now and again...

Just me though

But Lehner's already proven himself in the AHL, and he looks like an NHL goalie. He won't be too happy about going back to the AHL and being disgruntled may hurt his development. What's the point of sending him down there if he isn't motivated, won't work on his game and won't improve? The best place for is the NHL, where he'll be motivated and challenged.

Iamok 02-29-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19sens11 (Post 45238137)
Stick Bishop in the minors and let Lehner be the back up be the backup for the rest of the year. He seems to hate it in Bingo and he's clearly NHL ready.

At training camp, let the three headed monster battle it out. Dare I say... trade Anderson? Lehner-Bishop could be a solid duo as soon as next year.

Trading Anderson would be stupid. The guy is our rock. Why don't you ask Leafs fans what it's like rolling with 2 inexperienced goalies.

MAK19 02-29-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamok (Post 45238515)
Trading Anderson would be stupid. The guy is our rock. Why don't you ask Leafs fans what it's like rolling with 2 inexperienced goalies.

Well Lehner and Bishop >>> Reimer and Gustavsson. It is risky but chances are at least 1 of the 2 will be a decent goalie next year.

I don't necessarily think Anderson should be traded, but I don't want to let Lehner rot, and if he can get a good return, it should be considered. Bad move trading for Bishop.

BonkTastic 02-29-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19sens11 (Post 45238509)
But Lehner's already proven himself in the AHL, and he looks like an NHL goalie. He won't be too happy about going back to the AHL and being disgruntled may hurt his development. What's the point of sending him down there if he isn't motivated, won't work on his game and won't improve? The best place for is the NHL, where he'll be motivated and challenged.

If his attitude is that bad, that he refuses to be a 21 year old goalie in the AHL, and refuses to realize that the best thing for his development at this age is to see as many shots as humanly possible, then we have much, MUCH bigger problems than we all realize, and our faith in Lehner is completely misplaced.

MAK19 02-29-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensjersey11 (Post 45238681)
If his attitude is that bad, that he refuses to be a 21 year old goalie in the AHL, and refuses to realize that the best thing for his development at this age is to see as many shots as humanly possible, then we have much, MUCH bigger problems than we all realize, and our faith in Lehner is completely misplaced.

Thing is, I don't think it's best for his development to go back to the AHL (Lehner the same most likely). Especially playing for a bad team. He's ready. There are/have been 21 yo goalies before.

Not a vote of confidence trading for Bishop. Basically an eff u Lehner, and I understand why he would be pissed.