HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   World Junior Championship (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WC: IIHF discussing the fate of 2014 World Championships in Belarus (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1122705)

Jussi 02-29-2012 02:01 PM

IIHF discussing the fate of 2014 World Championships in Belarus

Just on saw on Finnish tv. The matter (replacing Belarus as the hosts) will be brought to a vote on the next IIHF general council.

FiLe 02-29-2012 07:40 PM

Kummola being worried about stale dictature being bad PR for hockey? Oh, the irony.

stv11 03-01-2012 03:53 AM

Any word on the possible replacement host?

Muuri 03-01-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stv11 (Post 45297607)

Kummola suggested either Germany or Russia.

welshrangersfan 03-01-2012 11:25 AM

It'll never happen of course but this is a perfect opportunity to not have a 2014 WC. This tournament should not happen in Olympic years. Having this tournament annually is devaluing the competition as it is, the fact that it also takes place a few weeks/months after the olympics is a fail. This competition would attract higher profile players in my opinion if it were held every 2 years. Let's be honest, despite Carolina not making the playoffs this year, Cam Ward won't bother coming this year (he also declined last year), Phil Kessel won't come over, the list goes on and on

stv11 03-01-2012 11:36 AM

Cam Ward and Phil Kessel are grown men free to decide what they want to do in May, and their decision is not a reason to deprive fans of the tournament.

The Olympics are a pain to attend with the inflated prices and the ticket demand from non hockey fans. The WC has its purpose, even in olympic years.

Jussi 03-01-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welshhabsfan (Post 45305231)
It'll never happen of course but this is a perfect opportunity to not have a 2014 WC. This tournament should not happen in Olympic years. Having this tournament annually is devaluing the competition as it is, the fact that it also takes place a few weeks/months after the olympics is a fail. This competition would attract higher profile players in my opinion if it were held every 2 years. Let's be honest, despite Carolina not making the playoffs this year, Cam Ward won't bother coming this year (he also declined last year), Phil Kessel won't come over, the list goes on and on

No it shouldn't, however since the Olympic tournament format varies from the World Championship format, you have to have the tournament due to promotions and relegations.

zorz 03-03-2012 06:52 AM

I hope they won't take the tournament away from Belarus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stv11 (Post 45305649)
Cam Ward and Phil Kessel are grown men free to decide what they want to do in May, and their decision is not a reason to deprive fans of the tournament.

The Olympics are a pain to attend with the inflated prices and the ticket demand from non hockey fans. The WC has its purpose, even in olympic years.

I agree with this.

Mathradio 03-03-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

USA Hockey had more problems with players than any other WC-eligible federation.

Grabovski 03-07-2012 12:28 AM

I would be so mad if they did change the location

Metalcommand 03-07-2012 10:07 AM

Although the tournament is not best-on-best and people don't like it because of that they shouldn't want to see it scrapped. Hockey will never grow in countries like Germany, Switzerland, Latvia and the like without this tournament.

Mathradio 03-07-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grabovski (Post 45660199)
I would be so mad if they did change the location

The U.S. threatened to boycott the WC in Belarus but I'm pretty sure they will be alone in boycotting the tournament - if they did so.

NMF78 03-07-2012 04:57 PM

I agree, don't hold the wc in olympic years.

Purple hippo 03-07-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMF78 (Post 45692865)

Now come up with a solution for Division I-III....

IIHFjerseycollector 03-07-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMF78 (Post 45692865)

which would be detrimental to your countries hockey program..

cutchemist42 03-09-2012 12:12 AM

How bad could it be if all the divisions just skipped playing in the Olympic years?

Jussi 03-15-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 45676039)
The U.S. threatened to boycott the WC in Belarus but I'm pretty sure they will be alone in boycotting the tournament - if they did so.

Finnish parliament (at least one member) already demanding Finnish hockey federation to "act" as well.

Sanderson 03-16-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchemist42 (Post 45777519)
How bad could it be if all the divisions just skipped playing in the Olympic years?

Very bad, because the IIHF finances itself through these tournaments. Not to mention that you would have more than 30 countries doing nothing for two years.

zorz 03-16-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchemist42 (Post 45777519)

Give me a reason why that should be done. I don't see any.

Jussi 03-16-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 46175689)
Give me a reason why that should be done. I don't see any.

Because North American posters on a hockey message board want it! :p:

afrobomber11 03-18-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

just because you dont give a **** does not mean others feel the same as you, if you dont care to watch it dont

Quote:

Originally Posted by stv11 (Post 45297607)

i may have missed something.... why are they getting a replacement? usa and finland pissed at belarus? whats the scoop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi (Post 46203815)
Because North American posters on a hockey message board want it! :p:

this.... ugh... i love the wc's!! i dont care what others think its still good hockey and a great oppertunity to... FLAUNT your nationalism

joe89 03-18-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrobomber11 (Post 46302787)
just because you dont give a **** does not mean others feel the same as you, if you dont care to watch it dont

i may have missed something.... why are they getting a replacement? usa and finland pissed at belarus? whats the scoop?

this.... ugh... i love the wc's!! i dont care what others think its still good hockey and a great oppertunity to... FLAUNT your nationalism

The scoop is that they oppose to playing the World Champs in a dictatorship. Not sure if only those countries are.

My personal opinion is never mix politics and sport.

zorz 03-21-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 46314673)
The scoop is that they oppose to playing the World Champs in a dictatorship. Not sure if only those countries are.

My personal opinion is never mix politics and sport.

Somebody should ask them why did they keeep their mouth shut during Olympics in China then :laugh:

Jussi 03-21-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 46456113)
Somebody should ask them why did they keeep their mouth shut during Olympics in China then :laugh:

Well I would assume that China and Belarus are a bit different. One has single party dictatorship, the other has one man dictatorship.

ozo 03-21-2012 11:36 AM

Just take it away already and give it to their northwest neighbours. :sarcasm: